Chest Workout Suggestions

I would really like to focus on my chest (I have never really had a defined chest, but always been my strongest body part). I was thinking about doing 2 chest workouts a week.

Any suggestions? Is that too much? I know cardio and diet will help me get there, but the last 8 weeks it seems my back, legs and shoulders are the only thing really changing on me.

Thanks in advance!

Do a search man, theres loads of chest threads on here. You should be able to find what you’re looking for pretty easily.

A. Barbell bench press

5-6 sets of 3-5 reps
2 minutes of rest between sets

B. Incline DB press

4-5 sets of 8-10 reps
90 seconds of rest between sets

C. Cable crossover

3-4 sets of 10-12 constant tension reps
60 seconds of rest

I use my own methodology when training chest that has really made a big difference in the way i train. I work chest 2 days a week, 1 day focusing on incline and 1 on flat bench exercises. I throw in a barbell and dumbell press (incline or flat depending on what day you are training, a decline bench or dips, hammer strength bench press, cable flys (3 positions) and I always finish with 3 set of push ups until failure.

I try to focus on the amount of reps too, i try and start with a weight that i can do for 10-12 after warm up and then tier up until I get to a 5 rep max. I try and hit 40 reps total, so when I am done with my 5 rep max set, how many ever reps minus 40 are what i shoot for and i go for the max. So if i do 12/8/7/5, on the next set I would do my 8 rep max.

Incline chest
Incline Barbell- 40 reps
Incline Dumbell- 50 reps
Decline Bench- 40 reps
Cable Flys- 3x15 3 positions
Pushups- 3 sets until failure

Flat Chest
Flat Barbell- 40 reps
Flat Dumbell- 50 reps
Weighted Dips (leaning forward to recruit chest)- 40 reps
Cable Flys- 3x15 3 positions
Pushups- 3 sets until failure

I just started doing this 2 months ago and my chest has increased in size and my strength is way up. I hope it works for you.

I’ve had good success with what is known as (or what I interpret as) a “guillotine press”. I set up a bench on a low incline in the Smith machine and align the bar in such a way that it is directly over my neck. I take the widest grip possible and let the bar literally touch my neck at the end of each eccentric motion. Light to moderate weight is key…you want to feel each rep.

(Note that this is more of a “finisher” for me and not a mainstay of my chest routine - I still keep heavy dumbbell presses and dips at the core of it)

bumpty

There’s a rest-pause routine I like that works well with any pressing movement. For example, bench presses - pick a weight that you can get 7 or 8 reps max and do 5 then rack it. Rest 10 seconds and do 4 reps. Rack it…10 sec rest and do 3 reps and so on to 2 then finally 1. The idea is to get 15 reps out of a weight that you would normally only be able to get maybe 8 if you took a single set to failure.