Chest Training Help

[quote]Anonymas wrote:
surely that would make the problem worse, as your shoulders would fail even sooner before your pecs[/quote]

That’s exactly why I would have used that strategy…shoulders fail, forcing you to utilize your chest to complete the pressing…

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’m currently trying to add to my own pecs, and the best approach I’ve found, is to start with a cable/fly movement (pre exhaust a bit), and then do low decline DB’s. Declines, while abused by most new trainers because they can ‘lift’ more weight, are great to take your front delts out of the movement. I did them years ago whenever my shoulders would act up (old high school injury), but have now been using them in a much more thought out manner. I don’t, however, like to use the normal decline bench in the gym, instead preferring to pile 3 plates under the end of one of the flat benches, then I angle my rib cage a bit to simulate more of a ‘dipping’ angle, and even keep my hands in a neutral position (again, better fiber recruitment, and will also feel much more natural once you adjust to it!).

S

I never understood the concept of pre-fatigue applied to your chest before a bench exercise if you’re an arm/delt dependent presser. Wouldn’t it be more logical to pre-fatigue your triceps and deltoids before pressing to encourage your chest to pick up the slack?
[/quote]

I think the pre fatigue applied to chest is so that give your chest a pump with say flies and then when you hop on the bench that little pump helps you focus more on using your chest on the lift (better mind muscle connection). In the “Kai Green Trains Chest” thread in the video Kai’s trainer, Oscar, states that is the purpose.

[quote]phishfood1128 wrote:
Davinci.v2 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’m currently trying to add to my own pecs, and the best approach I’ve found, is to start with a cable/fly movement (pre exhaust a bit), and then do low decline DB’s. Declines, while abused by most new trainers because they can ‘lift’ more weight, are great to take your front delts out of the movement. I did them years ago whenever my shoulders would act up (old high school injury), but have now been using them in a much more thought out manner. I don’t, however, like to use the normal decline bench in the gym, instead preferring to pile 3 plates under the end of one of the flat benches, then I angle my rib cage a bit to simulate more of a ‘dipping’ angle, and even keep my hands in a neutral position (again, better fiber recruitment, and will also feel much more natural once you adjust to it!).

S

I never understood the concept of pre-fatigue applied to your chest before a bench exercise if you’re an arm/delt dependent presser. Wouldn’t it be more logical to pre-fatigue your triceps and deltoids before pressing to encourage your chest to pick up the slack?

I think the pre fatigue applied to chest is so that give your chest a pump with say flies and then when you hop on the bench that little pump helps you focus more on using your chest on the lift (better mind muscle connection). In the “Kai Green Trains Chest” thread in the video Kai’s trainer, Oscar, states that is the purpose. [/quote]

Thank you.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
Arms Afire wrote:
Reverse grip wide grip dips.

Reverse grip wide grip deadlift isolation dips in the scapular plane[/quote]

Wait, wait, you forgot - the grip must be supinated horizontally with slight vertical rotation, right?

[quote]Faran Saberi wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Alcar wrote:
Same happened to me when I started my training; 8 months and all my body was bulky except for my chest, then I started to use flyes, boy do they work! Also I started to use dumbbells instead of the barbell.

Yeah bro

you’re mad bulky. may want to cut down a bit

i’m sure he made that statement relative to where he was at when he started his 8 month bulk. you never know he may have started @ 120lbs.

i know your just joking but don’t be so harsh there big guy.[/quote]

Hahahhahaa… You can’t be fucking serious, right?

Question for all you guys with small pecs? How much you bench?

AB, don’t you know you can’t post in this forum any longer??? You’re more than 180lbs, some people find this gross. It’s not what ‘real’ bodybuilding is all about… ‘Steroids bodybuilding forum’ will soon be created for you. Sorry dude.

[quote]thorax wrote:
AB, don’t you know you can’t post in this forum any longer??? You’re more than 180lbs, some people find this gross. It’s not what ‘real’ bodybuilding is all about… ‘Steroids bodybuilding forum’ will soon be created for you. Sorry dude. [/quote]

Son of a bitch, I didn’t think anyone would notice. Now what can I do on my free time before school if I can’t help correct peoples wrongs on the BB forum :(.

[quote]thorax wrote:
AB, don’t you know you can’t post in this forum any longer??? You’re more than 180lbs, some people find this gross. It’s not what ‘real’ bodybuilding is all about… ‘Steroids bodybuilding forum’ will soon be created for you. Sorry dude. [/quote]

Son of a bitch, I didn’t think anyone would notice. Now what can I do on my free time before school if I can’t help correct peoples wrongs on the BB forum :(.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
thorax wrote:
AB, don’t you know you can’t post in this forum any longer??? You’re more than 180lbs, some people find this gross. It’s not what ‘real’ bodybuilding is all about… ‘Steroids bodybuilding forum’ will soon be created for you. Sorry dude.

Son of a bitch, I didn’t think anyone would notice. Now what can I do on my free time before school if I can’t help correct peoples wrongs on the BB forum :(. [/quote]

Should have watched more Craig & Pitt and stayed at 170 with da abz.

[quote]thorax wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
thorax wrote:

Should have watched more Craig & Pitt and stayed at 170 with da abz.[/quote]

Lifting heavy weights is really disgusting, and unhealthy for your joints, heart and muscles. I should really stop, but I like being unhealthy, it’s better than eating potato chips and smoking ciggarettes.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Alcar wrote:
Same happened to me when I started my training; 8 months and all my body was bulky except for my chest, then I started to use flyes, boy do they work! Also I started to use dumbbells instead of the barbell.

Yeah bro

you’re mad bulky. may want to cut down a bit [/quote]

Shoulder injury, took me 8 months to recover. Ive just started to bulk, again.

My chest started to grow faster when I incorporated wide dips into my routine. I fell in love with the exercise that I overused them too much (Wide dips as my main chest exercise and parallel dips for triceps) and my shoulder hurts whenever I do them with more than 100lb around my waist. I think it’s because I always go too low during the eccentric portion. So maybe you can try some decline pressing type of movement and see if your chest will respond to it.

Lifting heavy weights is really disgusting, and unhealthy for your joints, heart and muscles. I should really stop, but I like being unhealthy, it’s better than eating potato chips and smoking ciggarettes. [/quote]

Why even lift heavy? Push-ups + chin-ups are enough to build muscle mass. Lifting heavy? Can you even scratch your head and walk stairs? Nah…

[quote]thorax wrote:
Sarev0k wrote:
Arms Afire wrote:
Reverse grip wide grip dips.

Reverse grip wide grip deadlift isolation dips in the scapular plane

Wait, wait, you forgot - the grip must be supinated horizontally with slight vertical rotation, right?[/quote]

Reverse grip wide grip deadlift isolation dips in the scapular plane cluster sets with chains and boards.

thorax wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
thorax wrote:

Should have watched more Craig & Pitt and stayed at 170 with da abz.

Lifting heavy weights is really disgusting, and unhealthy for your joints, heart and muscles. I should really stop, but I like being unhealthy, it’s better than eating potato chips and smoking ciggarettes. [/quote]

Heavy weaights?!? I only use light weights so i can get TONED and CUT BrAaAHH

My bodyweight is around 200lbs, im on a bulk at the moment, my stats are as follows:

DL = 352 x 4
Squat = 270
Bench = 260 x 6

I know my stats are shit at the moment especially the squat but I am working on increasing the poundage and it is going well, just not happy with the chest. I do know my rotator cuff’s are weak so would that make a huge impact? Also, any tips on having an appetite in the mornings?

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
My bodyweight is around 200lbs, im on a bulk at the moment, my stats are as follows:

DL = 352 x 4
Squat = 270
Bench = 260 x 6

I know my stats are shit at the moment especially the squat but I am working on increasing the poundage and it is going well, just not happy with the chest. I do know my rotator cuff’s are weak so would that make a huge impact? Also, any tips on having an appetite in the mornings?[/quote]

Your profile says you’re 155lbs…

[quote]phishfood1128 wrote:
Davinci.v2 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

I think the pre fatigue applied to chest is so that give your chest a pump with say flies and then when you hop on the bench that little pump helps you focus more on using your chest on the lift (better mind muscle connection). In the “Kai Green Trains Chest” thread in the video Kai’s trainer, Oscar, states that is the purpose. [/quote]

Also, if you pre-fatigued your shoulders and triceps, they would undoubtedly give out before the fatigue ever got to your chest.

One of the theories behind pre-exhaust (and there are others) is that during a compound exercise, like bench, the weakest link in the chain (or perhaps a better word choice would be muscle with the least amount of strength/endurance) will give out first and be the muscle which gets the training stimulus. The other muscles might have been able to keep going further, but are held back by the weak link. If you’re lucky this will be the intended muscle (in this case the pecs), but in many cases it winds up being one of the assisting muscles (shoulders and/or triceps).

To get around this problem, and to make sure that the pecs give out first/receive the most stimulus, you pre-fatigue them prior to doing the exercise. That way they’re more likely to give out first.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
phishfood1128 wrote:
Davinci.v2 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

I think the pre fatigue applied to chest is so that give your chest a pump with say flies and then when you hop on the bench that little pump helps you focus more on using your chest on the lift (better mind muscle connection). In the “Kai Green Trains Chest” thread in the video Kai’s trainer, Oscar, states that is the purpose.

Also, if you pre-fatigued your shoulders and triceps, they would undoubtedly give out before the fatigue ever got to your chest.

One of the theories behind pre-exhaust (and there are others) is that during a compound exercise, like bench, the weakest link in the chain (or perhaps a better word choice would be muscle with the least amount of strength/endurance) will give out first and be the muscle which gets the training stimulus. The other muscles might have been able to keep going further, but are held back by the weak link. If you’re lucky this will be the intended muscle (in this case the pecs), but in many cases it winds up being one of the assisting muscles (shoulders and/or triceps).

To get around this problem, and to make sure that the pecs give out first/receive the most stimulus, you pre-fatigue them prior to doing the exercise. That way they’re more likely to give out first.[/quote]

Thanks