Chest Thickness

My chest seems to get more pumped from exercises not specifically targeting the chest. For example deadlifts, pullups, overhead press, and shrugs. I see too many young guys in the gym doing too many bench press variations in a mad quest for huge chests. But I think they would have larger chests if they did more of those other exercises I mentioned.

[quote]Grey Sweatpants wrote:
My chest seems to get more pumped from exercises not specifically targeting the chest. For example deadlifts, pullups, overhead press, and shrugs. I see too many young guys in the gym doing too many bench press variations in a mad quest for huge chests. But I think they would have larger chests if they did more of those other exercises I mentioned.[/quote]

I don’t see how pullups and shrugs help with a bigger chest.

Best things that work for me is DB pressing, HS presses, and machine flyes

My chest seems to get more pumped from exercises not specifically targeting the chest. For example deadlifts, pullups, overhead press, and shrugs. I see too many young guys in the gym doing too many bench press variations in a mad quest for huge chests. But I think they would have larger chests if they did more of those other exercises I mentioned.[/quote]

What?

@ OP

Try doing Flat BB Bench the way CT does. I don’t use much of an arch anymore and really focus on shrugging my shoulders up and keeping my chest big and now the Flat BB Bench is one of my best exercises.

If deadlift give you a chest pump, I have a feeling you are doing them wrong…

Obvi troll is obvi. I lol’ed though.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

If deadlift give you a chest pump, I have a feeling you are doing them wrong…[/quote]

I pickup heavy weights from the ground and I feel it does more for my chest than doing dozens of flyes and front raises. But pump is probly the wrong word. Haha! Thickness.

Luke said he already did bench and incline. So what else? Add dips for sure. But before adding even more exercises how about focusing on adding more weight to the bench? My chestical region has always been my weak spot. Last year, I refocused on the flat bench. I combined that with pullups and rows, etc. Those pull my shoulders back and my progress surpassed when I did more pec movements.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

If deadlift give you a chest pump, I have a feeling you are doing them wrong…[/quote]

I pickup heavy weights from the ground and I feel it does more for my chest than doing dozens of flyes and front raises. But pump is probly the wrong word. Haha! Thickness.

Luke said he already did bench and incline. So what else? Add dips for sure. But before adding even more exercises how about focusing on adding more weight to the bench? My chestical region has always been my weak spot. Last year, I refocused on the flat bench. I combined that with pullups and rows, etc. Those pull my shoulders back and my progress surpassed when I did more pec movements.[/quote]

So I’m guessing you’re probably benching 405+ by now then, right?

…right?

only one exercise for chest? simple - do more!

add incline/decline/or maybe floor presses…

Anyone else ever try all dumbbells (with tucked elbows good squeeze at the top) for training chest? Works better than anything else I’ve tried. Whenever I’ve tried to add back in barbells/machines… etc, my chest shrank.

Currently doing:

Flat Dumbbell - 4x4-8
Incline Dumbbell - 3x4-8
Lo Incline Dumbbell - 3x8-10
Decline dumbbell - 2x8-10

For faster growth I’d add in push ups every other day but I really need my delts to catch up to my chest/arms, so holding off on that. Worked for me before, though, when my chest was a lagging bodypart.

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
Anyone else ever try all dumbbells (with tucked elbows good squeeze at the top) for training chest? Works better than anything else I’ve tried. Whenever I’ve tried to add back in barbells/machines… etc, my chest shrank.

Currently doing:

Flat Dumbbell - 4x4-8
Incline Dumbbell - 3x4-8

For faster growth I’d add in push ups every other day but I really need my delts to catch up to my chest/arms, so holding off on that. Worked for me before, though, when my chest was a lagging bodypart.[/quote]

How many push ups?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

How many push ups?[/quote]

3 sets to failure to start. Add a set every 2 weeks to max of 5 sets. Continue to 8 weeks is what I did.

Currently doing:

Flat Dumbbell - 4x4-8
Incline Dumbbell - 3x4-8

For faster growth I’d add in push ups every other day but I really need my delts to catch up to my chest/arms, so holding off on that. Worked for me before, though, when my chest was a lagging bodypart.[/quote]

Chest has always been a lagging body part for me. I loved doing barbell bench since it allowed me to move heavier weights, but I never felt it in my chest; my shoulders and tris took over. For the past few weeks, I’ve only been using cables and dumbbells for my chest and I really feel it. Once I start trying to put on some more weight, I’ll really push it with the dumbbells staying away from barbells (maybe I’ll include incline barbell tho :slight_smile: still fun to move heavy weight).

My current chest routine looks like:

Low incline cable fly
Incline db press
Cable cross over
low decline db press

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

How many push ups?[/quote]

3 sets to failure to start. Add a set every 2 weeks to max of 5 sets. Continue to 8 weeks is what I did.
[/quote]

Solid. I actually experimented with something where I’d take one non-training day a week and do 10 push ups every 10 min throughout the day…ending somewhere like 500-600 for the day. I didn’t notice much in terms of growth though, lol. Leaned out a bit from the extra bit of caloric expenditure.