Chest & Shoulders on the Same Day

if working out chest and shoulders on the same day would it be bad to put incline bb press and standing overhead press with bb in the same workout because there so similiar?

I think it would be fine for a while, just so long as you keep up with the posterior delt/external rotation movements.

My chest/back is always worked on the same day. It goes like this:
3x8 dumbell flat bench
3x8 dumbell inclined bench
3x8 dumbell declined bench
3x8 machine flyes

3x8 machine seated shoulder press
3x8 behind the head seated cable pull downs
3x8 dumbell perpendicular to the shoulders shoulder press
3x8 side dumbell shoulder raises
3x8 dumbell front shoulder raises

It’s working nicely so far. My shoulder presses are weaker after inclining, but they still get worked well, so all that really changes is the weight used.

Working shoulders and chests together is pretty common, and it doesn’t seem to be hurting most guys. As long as your shoulders aren’t complaining, go for it.

[quote]Artem wrote:
3x8 dumbell flat bench
3x8 machine flyes

It’s working nicely so far. My shoulder presses are weaker after inclining, but they still get worked well, so all that really changes is the weight used.[/quote]

Not that I want to hijack but…

Judging from your pictures and routine, it looks like you need to eat more and possibly re-evaluate your program.

Currently, you’re doing five pressing movements and only a single pulling movement.

I think you would benefit more from something like:

A1) Weighted dip
A2) Weighted Chin up
B1) Bent Row
B2) Military Press

And no offense, but when I was in your position, I was busy reading and learning rather than giving out inexperienced advice. And I’m still learning a lot…

Read Christian Thibs articles about program design and then Eric Cressey’s shoulder savers.

compound upper body movements to work the X muscle revolve around the movement of the shoulder. To which degree depend upon the choice. Are your shoulders lacking in development and this is your goal?

I find it an effective way to add a bit of bulk in the whole area. I do like to pair muscles located near each other sometimes, to reduce to blood “travel” and localise the blood/nutrients/fluids… Apparently anyway! Thois is ONE reason Antagonistic supersets are a good method. One reason at least.

Also i find i am more likely to get a shoulder niggle if i train chest and delts on different days because then they get worked with chest, back, delts, triceps… thats 3-4x a week with some direct deltoid(rotator) activity. That causes ME problems.

You will find however that your strength in the OH presses is significantly reduced, but i find the pre-exhaust effect makes up for this in returns.

Joe

[quote]Artem wrote:
3x8 dumbell flat bench
3x8 machine flyes

It’s working nicely so far. My shoulder presses are weaker after inclining, but they still get worked well, so all that really changes is the weight used.[/quote]

I don’t see how this is chest/back. the only back movement in there is pulldowns. maybe you meant chest/shoulders, but in that case pulldowns shouldn’t be in there.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
compound upper body movements to work the X muscle revolve around the movement of the shoulder. To which degree depend upon the choice. Are your shoulders lacking in development and this is your goal? [/quote]

There not really lacking at all, but I deffinatly cant do the same amount incline bb bench and over head bb press as when done on seprate days.

[quote]trextacy wrote:
Artem wrote:
3x8 dumbell flat bench
3x8 machine flyes

It’s working nicely so far. My shoulder presses are weaker after inclining, but they still get worked well, so all that really changes is the weight used.

I don’t see how this is chest/back. the only back movement in there is pulldowns. maybe you meant chest/shoulders, but in that case pulldowns shouldn’t be in there.[/quote]

Yea, I did mean chest/shoulders, sorry.

Then why are pulldowns in there? Do you think it’s a shoulder exercise? If so why do you have 5 of them compared to 4 chest exercises? imo that chest shoulder day isn’t very good.

When I did do chest and shoulders on the same day, I either didn’t do shoulder presses, or didn’t do incline chest presses as there is a lot of overlap. Now, you could do both, if you’re not doing 10 sets of each (that’s just stupid -lol). These days, I’ll do shoulders the day AFTER I train chest, rationalizing that the upper chest/front delt area will have the rest of the week to recover.

S