Chest ?'s

[quote]Diskrodia wrote:
Also I’ve only been training for six months. I’m not looking for instant gains, I just want to correct my mistakes.

[/quote]

Your pictures show you’ve applied yourself, imo.

To me it just looks like you have some fat there, though I’ve certainly seen worse on myself. And I certainly didn’t have the cleavage definition you have now back then.

I’ve only been lifting for 2 months myself, and as such probably can’t give much of an advice, but the best exercise set I’ve found for my pecs is to hit the cable machines at the upper pulleys with a pair of D handles.

I do 7 presses forward with one leg in front of the other and back perpendicular to the floor, then 7 presses at a downward angle with legs together and slightly bent forward, and then 7 presses straight down with back parallel to floor and my chin forward.

I do all of them with pronated grip. I repeat that 3 times with about a minute of rest. I usually go 30-35kg for this, though you might be able to do more as my benchpress sucks. I incorporated this exercise into all my workout sessions since my pecs were pretty pathetic.

After this my pecs are just blasted and completely pumped. It’s easy to miss the exercise though, what’s important is to do all the motion under control and not go for speed at all. Just feel the exercise.

I go to lockout, but I think that’s not necessary, I just feel more confident when I lock out.

Before this I never really felt my pecs. I’ve never felt them so well after benchpress. That sensation might be misleading but the fact that they’re growing tells me I’m doing something right.

Might work for you.

[quote]drock11 wrote:
close grip bench press worked well for building up my chest. [/quote]

Doesn’t that primarily recruit the tri’s?

Wide grip will work the chest more IMO.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote:
Muscles do the pushing or pressing. I don’t know what this guy is talking about.

<-----Scratching his head.

Err…muscles dont push, they pull.

When you extend your arm at the elbow joint your triceps is pulling/contracting. When you do a biceps curl your biceps is pulling/contracting.[/quote]

right, and when you do a push up, your tricep pushes away from the ground… hence the name “PUSH UPS”

what is going on here? did a press/push all the sudden take on a new meaning and now it means towards your body instead of away.

as far as i know
PUSH is a term used to refer to going away
PULL is a term used for going towards.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
drock11 wrote:
close grip bench press worked well for building up my chest.

Doesn’t that primarily recruit the tri’s?

Wide grip will work the chest more IMO.[/quote]

yeah it does work the tri’s a ton, but its tough to hit the inner portion of the chest without hitting your tri’s in those close grip exercises. Unless you do x-overs or pullovers.

[quote]Go heavy fool wrote:
When you do a bench press. and lift the bar from the chest and extend it up in the air… you use a pushing motion, not a pulling motion right?
[/quote]

To move any bone in your body your muscles must pull it into position. Your muscles dont PUSH it into position. Your muscles contract to create motion not push. You may be pushing the weight away but your muscles are shortening and pulling to make that happen.

When you do a tricep extention your biceps isnt pushing, its your tricep pulling.

C’mon, its not that difficult!

well, the object is being pushed.

When you do a bench press. and lift the bar from the chest and extend it up in the air… you use a pushing motion, not a pulling motion right?

Am i missing something here?

When i’m doing push ups, am i now doing pull ups?

[/quote]

Yes You are missing something.

Regardless of the motion of the load, muscles contract and contract only. The motion or force resulting from this contraction depends on the placement of the muscle in relation to the joint and the type of joint.

But this is comming from a guy that doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

When you do a push up- Your pects and front delts are moving your humerus inward and forward as they CONTRACT. Your tricep is CONTRACTING,the result being the opening the elbow joint and since the wrist is on the floor, your body moves upward. The bench press is very similar, but the back is stationary against the bench, and the arms are free to move.

The resultant of these pulling forces is a pushing motion.

For a more detailed explanation- Go to school and study biomechanics.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote:

To move any bone in your body your muscles must pull it into position. Your muscles dont PUSH it into position. Your muscles contract to create motion not push. You may be pushing the weight away but your muscles are shortening and pulling to make that happen.

When you do a tricep extention your biceps isnt pushing, its your tricep pulling.

C’mon, its not that difficult![/quote]

oh, i’m with you on that statement. im talking about the weights/object themselves… as in pushing or pulling the weights.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

exactly! that’s what i’m talking about. A push up is a push up. you should know what i’m talking about when i say a push up. it means to drop down on the floor and push away from it. it doesn’t mean to drop down on the floor and pull your muscles and contract them and defeat the purpose of calling this exercise a push up.

i have an engineering degree son, i don’t need to take any classics in physics or bio-mechanics.

you might want to take a class in finding something else to try to pick apart in a thread.

i was talking about the object/weights being pushed or pulled by the muscles.
i know you were trying to make yourself sound intelligent. but a forum isnt the best place for that. there are other means to try to stroke your own ego. good luck trolling though. i’m a peaceful guy, i don’t like to argue, i’ll just agree with you so you’ll have to troll another thread. i’m sure there are better things to do with your time than discuss pushing and pulling.

you only bench 240 jsut keep working your chest. i bench 300+ and my chest isn’t that great.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote:
well, the object is being pushed.

Am i missing something here?

When i’m doing push ups, am i now doing pull ups?

Yes You are missing something.

Regardless of the motion of the load, muscles contract and contract only. The motion or force resulting from this contraction depends on the placement of the muscle in relation to the joint and the type of joint.

But this is comming from a guy that doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

When you do a push up- Your pects and front delts are moving your humerus inward and forward as they CONTRACT. Your tricep is CONTRACTING,the result being the opening the elbow joint and since the wrist is on the floor, your body moves upward. The bench press is very similar, but the back is stationary against the bench, and the arms are free to move.

For a more detailed explanation- Go to school and study biomechanics.

[/quote]

by the way, you’re 165lbs, shouldn’t you be taking advice instead of trying to give it.

I’m 225, when you pass me up, I’ll ask you about push ups and whether or not i am actually working my chest or my triceps and shoulders more in this PRESSING movement.

by the way, you’re 165lbs, shouldn’t you be taking advice instead of trying to give it.

I’m 225, when you pass me up, I’ll ask you about push ups and whether or not i am actually working my chest or my triceps and shoulders more in this PRESSING movement.

[/quote]

You are a stupid fuck that doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground let alone be giving advice.

And engineering degree? You are absolutely full of shit, or you would have known what had to be explained.

I also did a little checking. For someone so “smart”, you don’t know fuck all about very much. Certainly not powerlifting, or volume/intensity relationships, or much else besides beatin it to Arnold Schwantzenegger.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote:

You are a stupid fuck that doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground let alone be giving advice.

And engineering degree? You are absolutely full of shit, or you would have known what had to be explained.

I also did a little checking. For someone so “smart”, you don’t know fuck all about very much. Certainly not powerlifting, or volume/intensity relationships, or much else besides beatin it to Arnold Schwantzenegger.
[/quote]

Are you sexually frustrated? Wow, I must have hit a nerve. I think it was the little guy syndrome. But he sure talks big. Swear words and everything.

You’re right. I don’t have an engineering degree. I bought mine because thermodynamics, statics, dynamics were killing me. Thanks for the compliment. I’ll be here all week. Do you have anything else ignorant to say or did you get it all out in your last outburst? I’m done conversing with you. You seem to have issues. Bye little tiny man.

OK, enough of this pissy shit about whether muscles push or pull. I’m sure GHfool knows that muscles contract. I’m pretty sure he was talking about the push/pull motions themselves, not what the muscles were literally doing.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Arnold Schwantzenegger.
[/quote]

Who?

Learn to spell. Especially when you are telling others to go to school.

S C H W A R Z E N E G G E R

[quote]nanobyte wrote:
Diskrodia wrote:
Also I’ve only been training for six months. I’m not looking for instant gains, I just want to correct my mistakes.

Your pictures show you’ve applied yourself, imo.

To me it just looks like you have some fat there, though I’ve certainly seen worse on myself. And I certainly didn’t have the cleavage definition you have now back then.

I’ve only been lifting for 2 months myself, and as such probably can’t give much of an advice, but the best exercise set I’ve found for my pecs is to hit the cable machines at the upper pulleys with a pair of D handles.

I do 7 presses forward with one leg in front of the other and back perpendicular to the floor, then 7 presses at a downward angle with legs together and slightly bent forward, and then 7 presses straight down with back parallel to floor and my chin forward.

I do all of them with pronated grip. I repeat that 3 times with about a minute of rest. I usually go 30-35kg for this, though you might be able to do more as my benchpress sucks. I incorporated this exercise into all my workout sessions since my pecs were pretty pathetic.

After this my pecs are just blasted and completely pumped. It’s easy to miss the exercise though, what’s important is to do all the motion under control and not go for speed at all. Just feel the exercise.

I go to lockout, but I think that’s not necessary, I just feel more confident when I lock out.

Before this I never really felt my pecs. I’ve never felt them so well after benchpress. That sensation might be misleading but the fact that they’re growing tells me I’m doing something right.

Might work for you.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree with you nanobyte. You can get a good pump from cable crossovers or chest crunch which may give you the impression of growth, but as far as them stimulating high growth it’s not going to happen.

Even if one is starting out relatively weak and can only bench an olympic bar for say six reps of three sets, if they progress every week and add ten pounds over a years time with the right corresponding nutrition they will have grown stronger and their chest will have increased muscle mass.

Sometimes when one starts at a weak point they may feel embarrassed to be at the gym benching 50 pounds so they will opt for something that is less obvious in showing their deficiencies, but in the end you are only short changing yourself. You need to get some time and results under your belt before dispensing advice. I mean that respectively and constructively.

Take care,

D

[quote]Kratos wrote:
OK, enough of this pissy shit about whether muscles push or pull. I’m sure GHfool knows that muscles contract. I’m pretty sure he was talking about the push/pull motions themselves, not what the muscles were literally doing.[/quote]

YES

but i ran into a troll… sorry kratos

you can tell, he has like 2500 posts and not one friend and been here for along time… hum, what’s he been doing?

Anybody have a great inner chest exercise with dumbbells?

Bye Bye Fool. Have fun!

SkyzykS wrote:
Arnold Schwantzenegger.

Who?

Learn to spell. Especially when you are telling others to go to school.

S C H W A R Z E N E G G E R [/quote]

Thats too funny. Sorry you missed it. Maybe you are an engineer.

Oh well, If I’m being a troll, maybe I should just let you get on back to dispensing great advice. Must be an urge with guys who suffer from Big Man syndrome.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Sometimes when one starts at a weak point they may feel embarrassed to be at the gym benching 50 pounds so they will opt for something that is less obvious in showing their deficiencies, but in the end you are only short changing yourself.
[/quote]
Hi D :slight_smile:

I don’t replace benchpress with that exercise. I just supplement my workout with it. I benchpress about once per week, but I honestly feel this helps me with pectoral hypertrophy. Though I may be mistaken; recovery could last enough to give me the impression of growth between days when I’m nearing my bench day.

I realize that :slight_smile: Which is why I always tell people how long (or short rather) it has been since I started working out.

Later.

Here’s one last question for now :wink:

Decent or no?