Chest Routine Without Cable Flys?

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Please post pics of your large pecs developed from doing pushups. For reference.[/quote]

That’s what I did at the beginning… what STARTED the development of my pecs… fucking douche. I’d post a pic but I got better things to do lol.

Please post a pic of your massive pecs that you got from doing other things.[/quote]

He never said he has massive pecs and has a picture of him as his avi.

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Please post pics of your large pecs developed from doing pushups. For reference.[/quote]

That’s what I did at the beginning… what STARTED the development of my pecs… fucking douche. I’d post a pic but I got better things to do lol.

Please post a pic of your massive pecs that you got from doing other things.[/quote]

I’ll play. I don’t do cable flyes, dumbbell flyes, or pushups. All I do is dumbbell, barbell, and recently machine press.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

I’ll play. I don’t do cable flyes, dumbbell flyes, or pushups. All I do is dumbbell, barbell, and recently machine press.[/quote]

Good Pec development for a lean guy. What does your chest training look like ? What volume/weights/frequency ?

[quote]abhi152 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

I’ll play. I don’t do cable flyes, dumbbell flyes, or pushups. All I do is dumbbell, barbell, and recently machine press.[/quote]

Good Pec development for a lean guy. What does your chest training look like ? What volume/weights/frequency ?
[/quote]

That picture was taken a few months ago, so my training is currently different. However, 90% of my training over the last 2-3 years has been based almost entirely on doing heavy compound lifts, using low reps. For most of the previous year leading up to that picture, I was doing Wendler’s 5/3/1 program, with the “big but boring” assistance lifts. This means I bench pressed once per week, with 3 sets of 5 or less reps with heavy weight, then 5 sets of 10 with 50% of my max. Prior to that, I did CT’s HP Mass program for awhile.

In both programs, the only chest work I did was incline, flat, and decline bench press. I also worked hard on my shoulders. I only used barbells. Last year, my best bench press was 305, and I could do 5 sets of 10 at 185.

Hope this helps!

Why does it seem that I am the only one who thinks he is just small and weak everywhere, and needs to work on some strength imbalances/getting efficient with the basics? I mean being 40 pounds stronger benching than rowing AND your shoulders already hurting seems like a warning sign. It doesn’t sound like “Oh I should get my chest bigger” no it sounds like “Oh if I want to be pressing with a barbell a couple years from now I should get my back stronger” .

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Why does it seem that I am the only one who thinks he is just small and weak everywhere, and needs to work on some strength imbalances/getting efficient with the basics? I mean being 40 pounds stronger benching than rowing AND your shoulders already hurting seems like a warning sign. It doesn’t sound like “Oh I should get my chest bigger” no it sounds like “Oh if I want to be pressing with a barbell a couple years from now I should get my back stronger” .[/quote]

I agree with this, I felt like what I was suggesting was sticking to basic pressing. I don’t think the bench/row differential is a huge deal though, some people just don’t pull as well as they push. I’ve benched 300 and never rowed close to that. And I don’t think the guys out there that bench 500 + are rowing anywhere close to that.

I am personally rowing more than I bench (and doing weighted pull ups for reps with 5 more pounds than the my old max bench press) but I really don’t have much of a stomach to use for using as a more stable base/ limit the range of motion.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Why does it seem that I am the only one who thinks he is just small and weak everywhere, and needs to work on some strength imbalances/getting efficient with the basics? I mean being 40 pounds stronger benching than rowing AND your shoulders already hurting seems like a warning sign. It doesn’t sound like “Oh I should get my chest bigger” no it sounds like “Oh if I want to be pressing with a barbell a couple years from now I should get my back stronger” .[/quote]

Idk maybe because you haven’t realized he’s young, a troll, or his numbers are in kg.

Wait a minute, I just noticed this: Why are you giving advice DSSG? Is your profile info right, you’re 15 years old?!?!?! Come on man. There isn’t a 15 year old on the planet who is qualified to give advice on this site. You don’t even have a complete basic education yet. How do you have 600+ posts?

[quote]DSSG wrote:

@DSSG : I know where you are coming from but I would like to clarify a few points. I might do better on Squatting/DL but I donâ??t want to. It has been some time since I stopped adding weight to my DL/Squats for the simple reason I donâ??t feel that I need to Squat or DL for more than my body weight, what will I do of this extra strength ? I think I have enough strength for travelling around with backpacks and hiking. Second point, the Gym where I work out has some really big guys who Bench/Row/Squat close to their bodyweight and they are just plain big, simple. When I talk to these guys they mention things like Bodymind connection/nutrition/supplements etc. None of them asks me to add more to Squats/bench/DL. This point probably leads to the reasoning that excessive strength might not convert into size. Third point : I agree, I ROW less. Yates Rows is my favorite exercise but I am just not increasing the numbers on it :(.

Coming back to the chest size thing. Even with the numbers suggesting otherwise, I have a very reasonable back with good Lat spread and good shoulders and arms. When I have things in this proportion my chest seems to be lagging. So I wanted to speed up itâ??s development. I think I can bring up most of the numbers to 220 lbs in 3 months but would definitely want to change the way I look.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]DSSG wrote:

I agree with this, I felt like what I was suggesting was sticking to basic pressing. I don’t think the bench/row differential is a huge deal though, some people just don’t pull as well as they push. I’ve benched 300 and never rowed close to that. And I don’t think the guys out there that bench 500 + are rowing anywhere close to that.[/quote]

That is a good point. How heavy can people actually Row ? Also it is more easy to do Yates Rows. What about people who Row parallel to the ground ?

[quote]DSSG wrote:
I am personally rowing more than I bench (and doing weighted pull ups for reps with 5 more pounds than the my old max bench press) but I really don’t have much of a stomach to use for using as a more stable base/ limit the range of motion. [/quote]

How much do you bench? Cuz I sure as shit am not going to be doing bent rows with 405. If I could do that I’d be fucking Steve Pulcinella.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I don’t do cable flyes, dumbbell flyes, or pushups.[quote]

Cable flyes and dips seem to creat the seperation in the upper chest, between the left and right pec imo…when you get bigger you will wish you did them.

They been a staple of BB’s for a long long time for a reason.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]abhi152 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I only used barbells. [/quote]

Never met a BB that never used DB for chest. Heard the other way around people never using BB for chest.

Just curious why did you swear off DB chest work, and wonder what you could do on flat DB bench if you can do 305 on BB. Be intersting to see the carryover.

[quote]Cron391 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]abhi152 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I only used barbells. [/quote]

Never met a BB that never used DB for chest. Heard the other way around people never using BB for chest.

Just curious why did you swear off DB chest work, and wonder what you could do on flat DB bench if you can do 305 on BB. Be intersting to see the carryover.[/quote]

Couple things: The question the OP asked me was what I did to look like the picture I posted. That picture was taken middle of last year. My last few years have been mostly dedicated to Powerlifting goals. Looking decent has sort of just been a bonus. But that’s why I posted what I did.

This is not how I train now.

I’m currently doing a pretty traditional bodybuilding split (the one on KingBeef’s thread). I believe I’ll get good results from it, but I haven’t been doing it for very long. I am using dumbbells frequently now, along with cables and machines. I didn’t post this originally because it wasn’t relevant to the picture I posted.

As far as carryover, I start my current chest day with incline DB, and work up to the 90’s for 6-8 reps.

My main point was to dismiss the idea that push-ups were going to get the job done. I’m a big believer in focusing on the big lifts in the first few years of weight training, and moving on to more specified training later, once the basics are mastered.