T Nation

Chest Pain

ok im not talking about a heart attack i think its just my chest hurting from doing too many negatives too often. it hurts right there where the pec meets the rotator cuff and also right where it meets the sternum.

i used to do negatives every time i did chest and did that for about 2 months before my chest started to really bother me. now my sternum hurts when i exhale and my pec next to my rotator hurts no matter how little weight i do on bench

anyway im just asking u guys if you think it is possible to hurt youreself doing heavy negs like i was and what a better negitive routine is

[quote]lovernotafightr wrote:
ok im not talking about a heart attack i think its just my chest hurting from doing too many negatives too often. it hurts right there where the pec meets the rotator cuff and also right where it meets the sternum.

i used to do negatives every time i did chest and did that for about 2 months before my chest started to really bother me. now my sternum hurts when i exhale and my pec next to my rotator hurts no matter how little weight i do on bench

anyway im just asking u guys if you think it is possible to hurt youreself doing heavy negs like i was and what a better negitive routine is[/quote]

Sounds like your muscles and/or tendons are worn down. I prescribe plenty of REST, with supplements: fish oil, vitamin c, and ice if it makes you feel better.

Might be a month before you really work the chest again. In the meantime, some light negatives might help you to heal.

Try doing the negative portions of push-ups or dips, and use your feet or knees to assist with the concentrics (so you don’t contribute further to the stress).