T Nation

Chest Pain With Dips?

About a month ago I started working out my chest and triceps by doing dips. Shortly after I got a pain in the center part of my chest. It doesn't seem like its a soar muscle. I went to the doctor to get x-rays, but everything looked fine.

The pain finally went away until I did dips again. Now I am experiencing the same pain. Any ideas on what it could be?

it just happens, its not even painful. man up youre fine.

I've experienced the same thing. It is very painful. I actually went to the ER at one point for an X-ray because I believed I had displaced the cartilage right under my breast bone. Doctors claimed nothing showed up on the X-ray. Later, I was laying on the floor on my back and stretched and I felt a "pop" in the center of my chest and the pain stopped. When things are out of place, though, it hurts to breathe and I get really sharp pains as if I'm being poked with something sharp.

I don't know if you are feeling the exact same thing I've felt, but I've found there is nothing I can do to prevent it. Anytime I do dips with a pec emphasis (leaning forward) which stretches my chest, I begin to have that pain. I can do heavy tricep dips (torso upright) all day long with no problem.

I'm just a wuss, I guess, but it is very real.

It happens sometimes, especially in younger athletes.

Body shape. If it hurts, don't do it.

I've been training 25 yrs and it still happens to me from time to time. I agree w/Ghost22....just do something else.

By the way...my 1st post here...been watching and don't like the really 'big' or popular boards. Seems like a great community here.

I usually notice it if my form is becoming sloppy from being to tired from a previous exercise.

i have a pang of pain too but that was because i did the dips first before anything else. i'll try to do it last.. just re-introduced myself back to dips lately.

Same thing happens to me. It feels like my chest is going to rip in half or something.

I'm with Ghost22: if it hurts, don't do it. I avoid dips, there's tons of other chest/tri exercises to work with.

Quite interesting. I remember when I was around 12 and I tried to do dips and it was pretty painful on the inner portion of my chest, even on the first rep. It felt like it was hurting my sternum. I didn't workout regularly when I was that young, but a few years later, I didn't get any pains from dips.

When I puff my chest out or arch the back, occasionally my chest will pop/crack. I figure it has to have something to do with your bone structure. I think possibly bad posture might attribute to the pain.

I did dips tonight, it causes a "nice pain" in the chest, for sure. Good times.

The only pain i get doing dips is sometimes (like this week) in my upper left arm, just below the shoulder.

yeah i think i understand what you are saying regarding the pain...whenever i do dips i feel a slight pain in my sternum and far more noticable pain in my shoulders lol