Chest Muscle Spasms

Hey everyone,
I’ve been having what I call chest muscle spasms. I leave it vague because I don’t know exactly what it is, but I can tell you what it feels like. I feel tight contractions in my chest area that radiate up to my throat that last maybe a second or less and happen a few times a minute.

My whole sternum also feels tender when I press on it (from the bottom to the top and out towards the ribcage) and sometimes I feel faint. No pain in the actual pectoral muscles though. It’s not my heart as I originally thought (got an echocardiogram and the doc said my heart looked good). It happens mostly when I do heavy bench. I’m thinking it could be some type of contraction of the fibers closest to the sterum. Is this a common complaint?

muscles spasm bro. it happens to triceps, biceps, calves. sometimes my hand spasms and i grab a girls ass.

[quote]MetalGear86 wrote:
Hey everyone,
I’ve been having what I call chest muscle spasms. I leave it vague because I don’t know exactly what it is, but I can tell you what it feels like. I feel tight contractions in my chest area that radiate up to my throat that last maybe a second or less and happen a few times a minute.

My whole sternum also feels tender when I press on it (from the bottom to the top and out towards the ribcage) and sometimes I feel faint. No pain in the actual pectoral muscles though. It’s not my heart as I originally thought (got an echocardiogram and the doc said my heart looked good). It happens mostly when I do heavy bench. I’m thinking it could be some type of contraction of the fibers closest to the sterum. Is this a common complaint?[/quote]

You went to a doc for it and he didn’t tell you what was wrong? Hmm. I get some pain around my sternum from doing Dips. It goes away the next day. When you bench you don’t use any muscles that are in your neck. You must be severely straining your neck while benching. You should see another doctor imo.

YES!!! I GOT those dam things a while back ago when I first started lifting and I thought I was going into cardiac arrest. It’s all part of the process

I don’t know… I have a heart condition called SVT (supra-ventricular tachycardia). it is a cardia arrhythmia. at the beginning, i described it as a muscle spasm in my chest. but then one time, i blacked out on account of it, so it was clear something was up, and i went and had it checked out. i was on medicine for a year, which controlled it alright, but then i had a surgery that fixed it pretty well for me.
anyways, you might want to get it checked out just in case. and the frustrating thing is that you will be fine 90% of the time, and then you will feel something irregular rather randomly. so, if the doctor gives you an EKG, they will very likely say everything looks normal. it is only if they are monitoring you WHILE you are symptomatic that they can see anything at all.
i would recommend asking your doctor for an “event recorder” which you can wear (many you wear for 24- or 48-hours, but there are ones that you can get and wear for a month or more). the ones that last a relatively short time are constantly recording, and at the end of the recording you bring it back to your doctor who reviews it. the ones that last a longer time only record when you push a button (which you do when you are symptomatic) although you record it all the time.

anyways, tell your doctor that you’d like to have an event recorder because if it is a cardiac arrhythmia, you might have been fine while he was monitoring you…

(it might very well just be a muscle spasm though…)
dan