Chest Lag/Triceps Strength

[quote]BodynDragnet wrote:
haha isolation exercises for biceps. thats awesome dude. good luck on your beach program and even more luck on dealing with the fact you’re a prettyboy faggot.[/quote]

prettyboy faggot, man fuck you. I throw in ONE exericse for my biceps at the end of my workout on my ME days and RE/DE days…woopdi-fucking-doo. Plus, I’m not doing a beach program at all, I just refer to bicep curls as a “beach” exercise. Bitch.

Oh and another thing, since I train MMA, it seems QUITE beneficial for me to train my biceps, seems helpful when getting into arm-bars also.

For the guys who gave me advice, thanks…I’ll try what you’ve said also. For the RE day…what should be the max amount of reps…I don’t want to do push-ups, because I’d reach over a hundred…Is 10 reps enough?..Should I go with this method 225x10, 185x15, 135xfailure? What do you guys think is best/what do you do for your RE day (if you have one).

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BodynDragnet wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
BodynDragnet wrote:
id be more worried about the stupidity side effect. learn how to workout.

I’m guessing that you are another anti-direct arm work person.

most “serious” lifters i know only train their arms directly once a week. if that. i respect people like CW and CT who might incorporate lots of isolation lifts in their programs, and i understand they’re qualified and have a lot of clients, etc, but i, like many, have a compound-movements only policy.

why am i doing curls when i could be doign upright rows or chins

why am i doing doing tricep extensions when i could be benching or dips

A compound movement only policy? I train arms directly. I think the neglect of training them directly is the dumbest fad since the Backstreet boys. Upright rows are also a great way to fuck up your shoulders. Have fun.
[/quote]

I agree with prof on this one. what is up with so many people hating direct arm work? ever come across a pro bodybuilder who doesnt directly work them? and dont give me some bullshit steroid excuse. the biggest guys in my gym, and every gym ive been in, do direct arm work. if youre a bodybuilder and dont directly do arms, then your gonna be seriously lagging unless youve got some freaky arm genetics. Im an olympic lifter so i NEVER work arms directly, but if your a bodybuilder you DEFINATELY should.

[quote]BodynDragnet wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
BodynDragnet wrote:
id be more worried about the stupidity side effect. learn how to workout.

I’m guessing that you are another anti-direct arm work person.

most “serious” lifters i know only train their arms directly once a week. if that. i respect people like CW and CT who might incorporate lots of isolation lifts in their programs, and i understand they’re qualified and have a lot of clients, etc, but i, like many, have a compound-movements only policy.

why am i doing curls when i could be doign upright rows or chins

why am i doing doing tricep extensions when i could be benching or dips

[/quote]

Upright rows? Man, you’re making yourself look terrible. Performing that exercise is probably one of the best ways to get yourself a nice case of shoulder impingment. Why are you criticizing someone for doing curls when you’re doing one of the most physically destructive exercises possible?

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
I just posted on the same topic by a different poster. This may or may not be the problem. You have to have your upper back tight, scapulae pinching when you are benching. If you dont you have to much mobility in your scapulae and thus your shoulders can move anteriorly quite a bit. You see this alot when someone benches and at the end of the motion they extend their shoulders even further, as if they are doing a serratus exercise.

Now this is not the only way to tell that your scapulae arent tight, but if you can do this, you are not in the proper position to bench. What this will also do since your shoulders can move is not give a fixed point of the humerus from which the pecs have to pull, if the shoulders along with the humerus (obviously) are moving anteriorly the pecs are trying to pull on an object which is moving toward them (the pecs) its just common sense to see that this would create slack in the muscle and not the pre-stretch you get with tight scapulae. May or may not be your problem but just something to think about.

Also, CT posted something somewhere about fiber type in your chest and how this can determine whether you recruit heavily from your chest or elsewhere to do heavy lifts.[/quote]

I think I just learned a thing or two from your post…nice!

I’d also like to add that if you have long(ish) arms, the stretch shortening cycle could be working against you in your bench press as far as pectorals go. Easy solution is just pause at the bottom for a few seconds (3 seconds maybe), and then do your thing. Just thought I’d throw that out in case you have longer limbs. If not, disregard.:slight_smile:

[quote]
Upright rows? Man, you’re making yourself look terrible. Performing that exercise is probably one of the best ways to get yourself a nice case of shoulder impingment. Why are you criticizing someone for doing curls when you’re doing one of the most physically destructive exercises possible? [/quote]

You seem to know your stuff. Are there any supplementary exercises you would reccomend?

And how would one be able to tell if the upright rows do severe damage? Where is the pain located?

So far I haven’t had any problems but I have not been using that heavy a weight.

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:

Upright rows? Man, you’re making yourself look terrible. Performing that exercise is probably one of the best ways to get yourself a nice case of shoulder impingment. Why are you criticizing someone for doing curls when you’re doing one of the most physically destructive exercises possible?

You seem to know your stuff. Are there any supplementary exercises you would reccomend?

And how would one be able to tell if the upright rows do severe damage? Where is the pain located?

So far I haven’t had any problems but I have not been using that heavy a weight.[/quote]

I’m not a master of physiology, but I think it has something to do with the shoulder being fully rotated inward while the arm is raised. A quick internet search shows that this leaves no wiggle room for your shoulder joints. The acromion and tubercle can grind and lead to A/C impingment and rotator cuff problems. If your shoulder feels like crap when you rotate it inwards or swing it around, it could be because of the upright rows.

If you’re using the upright rows for upper back, I’d recommend shrugs instead, just don’t rotate your shoulders at all during the movement. I have a naturally relatively developed upper back, but whenever I do power cleans my traps are sore as hell the next day.

[quote]DemiAjax wrote:
I’m not a master of physiology, but I think it has something to do with the shoulder being fully rotated inward while the arm is raised. A quick internet search shows that this leaves no wiggle room for your shoulder joints. The acromion and tubercle can grind and lead to A/C impingment and rotator cuff problems. If your shoulder feels like crap when you rotate it inwards or swing it around, it could be because of the upright rows.

If you’re using the upright rows for upper back, I’d recommend shrugs instead, just don’t rotate your shoulders at all during the movement. I have a naturally relatively developed upper back, but whenever I do power cleans my traps are sore as hell the next day. [/quote]

Hmm… Shoulder roated completely? Maybe I have been doing them “wrong”.

My shoulder joint just raises a bit like I am doing lateral raises… but different.

I have not been having any problems at all with it.

I’ll try heavier weight and test if anything acts up.

[quote]DemiAjax wrote:
The acromion and tubercle can grind and lead to A/C impingment and rotator cuff problems. [/quote]

Ahhhhh! I see. That could be avoided by not going all the way up.

Here’s the pic for anyone interested.

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:
Hmm… Shoulder roated completely? Maybe I have been doing them “wrong”.

My shoulder joint just raises a bit like I am doing lateral raises… but different.
[/quote]

I think that you are thinking of a different component of the movement when talking about shoulder rotation.

Do a double bicep pose and then keeping your upper arms parallel to the ground rotate 180 degrees at you shoulder so your forearms are perpendicular to the ground with your palms facing back.

That is the postion where your shoulders are fully rotated into a bitch of a position (yes that is the technical term) especially when loaded with weight. This is the part that you want to avoid.

Hope it makes sense.