T Nation

Chest Broscience

Thoughts on doing light pressing/heavy isolation instead of vice versa just to mix it up?

Sounds like an injury to me, but I’ve seen guys do flyes (10-15) before pressing, either all sets of flyes than all preesing, or flyes before every set of pressing (superset) flyes are touchy for beginers as it is, and trying to do them heavy for lower reps sounds like a bad idea. 2cents

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Thoughts on doing light pressing/heavy isolation instead of vice versa just to mix it up?[/quote]
Go for it, apparently just don’t do heavy flyes or your arms will tear off.

gyms are full of guys with bad shoulders that know it all, I’ve been a strength coach for twenty years, make my living training kids, and every newb wants to reinvent the wheel rather than follow whats worked for weightlifters for 50yrs, flyes are not ment to be a heavy low rep move. goodluck

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Thoughts on doing light pressing/heavy isolation instead of vice versa just to mix it up?[/quote]
Presuming the reason for doing an isolation exercise is to “isolate” a muscle, going heavier will, at the very least, make it much more likely that other muscles will be called in to help perform the movement. Isolating/emphasizing a single muscle requires the use of a light to moderate weight.

So, yeah, in addition to the increased risk of injury already mentioned, your idea has to get a thumbs down as simply being bass ackwards.

To add to what Mr. Colucci said above: When an isolation exercise is performed properly, a so-called ‘light weight’ will often feel quite heavy.

So much for that then lol

hm maybe you just try it out and see what happens? would be interesting , why not.

I’ve been getting into pre-activation lately, where I start a chest workout by ramping up in say sets of 10. Strict form throughout, but going up to a weight where I can barely hit 10…so it’s relatively “heavy.” Focus on being explosive and holding a hard contraction for about a second on each rep.

This has actually translated into PRs for me on things like DB incline AFTER flyes, even on some zero carb days in a contest prep.

Go experiment!