T Nation

Chest/Arm Routine

Hi,
I have just recently started working out and I have some questions about my chest/ arm routine that I am currently doing (I have listed my routine below in the order that I do the exercises). I am hopeful that you experienced individuals may give me some insight on this routine; I understand that I may be breaking some rules of thumb to follow, however I really enjoy this workout and I feel so swollen up after I am done; it just feels good.

So, my questions are:
Is three days a week on these parts of my body too much?
What are some good rules to follow as far as adding weight?

Top-half flat bench press 4x4 at 165 lbs
Full range flat bench press 4x4 145 at lbs sometimes I can only squeeze out 3 reps the last 2 sets
Push-ups 4 sets (I usually start out stronger doing 20 reps the first set and then down to 10 reps the last 3 sets)
Dips between 2 flat benches 4 sets (I usually start out stronger doing 20 reps the first set and then down to 15 reps the last 3 sets)
Chin-ups 4 sets (usually 5-6 the first set then 2-3 reps the last 3 sets)
Standing EZ-bar curl 4x6 at 75 lbs

[quote]ManMadeMonk wrote:
So, my questions are:
[/quote]
Use a real program.

Top-half flat bench press
[/quote]
Hilarious

I superset chest and Bi’s all the time, they don’t have much overlap, so it works well,bench and preachers, incline and hammer’s, something like this. Three times a week might work for awhile but as you get stronger it might be to much, play it by feel, goodluck

You do that 3 times a week…

I can say with 100% certainty that if you’re curling 75 pounds with the rest of what you’ve said here…you’re doing it with awful form.

Chest and arms routine is a great way to give you that “taco chest” look. You know, where you are hunched over with terrible posture. A back and arms routine would be more acceptable. Still, don’t expect much from such a simple routine.

Do it 5 times a week if you want results. Maybe add in some more pushing volume and arm isolation if possible.

Hi,
I have just recently started working out and I have some questions about my chest/ arm routine that I am currently doing (I have listed my routine below in the order that I do the exercises). I am hopeful that you experienced individuals may give me some insight on this routine; I understand that I may be breaking some rules of thumb to follow, however I really enjoy this workout and I feel so swollen up after I am done; it just feels good.

So, my questions are:

Top-half flat bench press 4x4 at 165 lbs
Full range flat bench press 4x4 145 at lbs sometimes I can only squeeze out 3 reps the last 2 sets
Push-ups 4 sets (I usually start out stronger doing 20 reps the first set and then down to 10 reps the last 3 sets)
Dips between 2 flat benches 4 sets (I usually start out stronger doing 20 reps the first set and then down to 15 reps the last 3 sets)
Chin-ups 4 sets (usually 5-6 the first set then 2-3 reps the last 3 sets)
Standing EZ-bar curl 4x6 at 75 lbs
[/quote]
My first question to you would be if you are training chest and arms twice a week on there own as stated in this routine then does that mean you are training back/shoulders twice a week in another routine and then legs on there own twice a week as well?

If you aren’t then you have some serious imbalances going on which can lead to postural problems and injury. If you are then you are training 6 times per week which is probably too much for a beginner and unnecessary.

As someone new to lifting you don’t need to split your training up too much. Actually full body or total body training as it’s sometimes called can be very beneficial for new lifters.
After that you can then proceed to 2 way splits which are often either upper/lower or push/pull. From there you can move to push/pull/legs . These splits are very common not just with beginners but also experienced trainers as it allows you to train each body part more often.

My advice is to drop your current program and find a ready made one from a website such as this one. Just do a search and you should find plenty to choose from. The best gains of your life will come within your first few years of training so it makes sense to start out with a good program.

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:
Do it 5 times a week if you want results. Maybe add in some more pushing volume and arm isolation if possible. [/quote]

Do it everyday. Every day is chest and biceps day. EVERYDAY

I would think if you were training chest and bi’s, you’d be prabably training back and tri’s, and than say legs and shoulders, this is a decent split thats been around for years, and can work well with proper planning and rest, If you enjoy chest and bi’s togeather carry on, and enjoy the journy, mabey somthing like
Mon. chest and bi’s
Tue. Back and tri’s
Wed. legs and shoulder;s
thur. chest and bi’s
Fri. back and tri’s
weekend off

there’s lots of possibility’s that can work, you’ll get more out of a program you enjoy than not, I like to split my body up, torso and appendage, guys make fun of this split, but I like curling between squats, and rowing between bench, it works for me, have fun and goodluck

Is three days a week on these parts of my body too much?[/quote]
Even without knowing what you’re doing for the rest of your body, the believe the answer is yes.

Guessing you mean bodyweight, not weight being lifted, correct? Eat plenty and train smart. Sounds easy, huh.

What’s your current height, weight, and general fat level (not a percentage, just a description - pudgy, sorta-almost lean, ripped, etc.)

And while we’re at it, how are you training the rest of your body?

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I superset chest and Bi’s all the time, they don’t have much overlap[/quote]
When I’ve actually supersetted chest and biceps (rather than training chest first, then biceps after), I’m more triceps-dominant on chest exercises. Whether it’s due to biceps fatigue or a bit of a pump, my tris start kicking in more than they would otherwise. Just my two cents.

[quote]Mon. chest and bi’s
Tue. Back and tri’s
Wed. legs and shoulder;s
thur. chest and bi’s
Fri. back and tri’s
weekend off[/quote]
Y u hate training legs?

First of all I’m a strength coach by trade, and I try to push whole body or upper lower splits, but this kid is just starting out and he needs to enjoy his workouts and spend some time in the gym, where he’ll learn important lessoms along the way, if he enjoys chest and bi’s so be it, just balance things out, we don’t know his goals, so I threw togeather a half assed split keeping in elements he enjoys. Squating heavy once a week at first is a start, and if he’s only after a beach body will work fine, I think some people here forget everone has different goals, were not all PL’s, BB’s, or athlete’s, some just want to be healthy and look good at the beach, and enjoying thier time in the gym is a priority. As senior members on this sight it’s important to encourage any kind of gym activity, and not force everbody into our personal beliefs, as he lifts he’ll learn and we can coach him along as he grows, don’t force him into somthing he doesn’t enjoy and make him leave the sport. the split I provided is alot better than the one I spent my teen years doing. come on guys, lets not bash everyone to death on here, lets provide a little support. Chris you fell a few rungs in my mind, as someone I’ve admired on this site, that last post was a bit much, mabey you missed the word beginer at the heading. OP best wishes in the future, I do this for a living, if you want to PM me, I’ll be glad to help you out, this used to be a great sight for beginers

First of all I’m a strength coach by trade[/quote]
You bring this up a lot lately. Mostly to defend some blanket statement you make about how the world works.

this kid is just starting out and he needs to enjoy his workouts and spend some time in the gym, where he’ll learn important lessoms along the way[/quote]
… like the benefits of training everything, and the problems in appearance and joint health that come from over-emphasizing chest and biceps work? Yes, I’d agree those are important lessons and the sooner learned, the better.

I’m pretty sure this is something I either hinted at or flat-out stated in my post.

I don’t have an issue with squatting just once a week. I have an issue with training legs once a week (while sharing that day with shoulders) as part of a program that also trains chest, biceps, and triceps twice a week, especially when we don’t know this kid’s current stats. If he’s some tall underweight dude, it’s irresponsible and unprofessional to encourage him to follow a poorly designed routine just for the sake of “letting him enjoy his training.”

That’s fine, and it’s actually something I do reiterate often. Guess you didn’t catch those threads though. However, “enjoying your time in the gym” does not have to equate to dicking around on an inefficient, potentially harmful, program.

Please read point Number 5 in that article. You’re repeating an idea the author already stated.

Which part was too much? The part where I was the only person who asked for more info about the guy so I could offer more accurate advice? The part where I asked what the rest of his program looked like, because I understand that effective training looks at the whole routine, not just a snippet? Or the part where, with tongue-in-cheek, I asked why you told him to train legs once a week on a day sharing shoulders, while training the rest of his body twice a week?

Yes, clearly I only cruise this forum to harass newbies. My deep-seated hatred for them is eclipsed only by the joy I get from spreading misinformation to make sure they waste precious time and energy in the gym.

It still is.

The guy asked for advice you put up a pic of a gay pride parade, whatever, you are part of the cool kids, ye ha, Ya think the OP will ever ask for advice again, Just try and remember what you were thinking and doing when you started, and go from there, I interact with kids everyday, comming into the gym, so mabey it makes me a little more understanding, but he sounded real in his question, and everyone jumped down his throat, there is nothing inherantly wrong with a program designed around chest and bi’s, but instead of being helpful everybody chooses to bash the kid.

as far as me bragging, I got no letters after my name, but I’ve been a strength coach for one hockey team or another since 94, and doing lots on the side, doesn’t make me god, but I’ve been making my living from this sport and young athletes for 20yrs, so I’m not talking out of my hat, and niether is Chris, thats why it bothered me so much, because he’s generly somebody I respect on this sight,I was trying to encourage a kid to lift and enjoy himself, we know it’s a long journy, kids don’t get this they want it all today, he’ll figure it out along the way, and redifine his goals 100 times, but somthing is better than nothing, and you might aswell enjoy the ride, lot of people wound real tight lately, but I’m still smilein, and doing what I love, haha, have a good day everyone

The guy asked for advice you put up a pic of a gay pride parade[/quote]
A few things: 1 - I’m pretty sure they’re just Calvin Klein underwear models. How you jumped right to gay pride parade, I’m not sure. In 20 years, have you never been in a locker room full of athletes without thinking “it’s like a gay pride parade in here.”?

2 - There are, like, words on the picture. And they make a joke. Which is the reason I posted it.

3 - You make it sound like I only posted a pic to bust the kid’s chops and offered no constructive input of my own. I’m not sure why you’re completely overlooking the fact that I absolutely tried to help the kid, just because my advice differs from yours.

Do you actually want to have a professional debate about this? 'Cause I don’t think you have much of a leg to stand on. (Pun intended, because I still have a sense of humor.)

Thanks. I’ve only been coaching kids and making a living in the fitness industry for about 12 years and used to have a few letters after my name. What that has to do with this kid in this thread, I’m not sure.

So was I.

So was I.

You didn’t read that article I linked to above, huh. No prob.

I agree with you on all this. See ya 'round.

I’ve read your articles, I didn’t read the one above, anyway I work with farely young kids 15-20 and I try to make thier training enjoyable. What you write is generaly in line with the basics I teach, so mabey we misunderstood each other hear, I’ll go with that, I try to get kids squatting regularly by putting curls on leg day, in between squats, and they do chest and shoulders around heavy back work, this has worked for me, they get to do what they enjoy in and around the heavy work I need them to do, sort of dessert after an awefull dinner, soon they learn to love the heavy work as we do.

I was thinking on the same lines with this OP, just putting something togeather to get him in the gym, and get him hooked, people took it the wrong way, like I was giving him bad advice, oh well, no sense comming to interweb blows with someone on the same mission as me, spreding the gosple haha, peaceout

I can’t believe you guys respond to this type of post, let alone fight over it…

I understand your need to build upperbody but I really recommend learning some compound movements LIKE SQUATTING AND DEADLIFTS

Body grows in proportion, if you want chest/arm size, you need to build some mass overall including your legs and core. As far as your actual workout goes, it’s missing a lot of essential workouts for a balanced body. Don’t be the dude with chicken legs

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:
I can’t believe you guys respond to this type of post, let alone fight over it…[/quote]
I’m curious as to why you wouldn’t.
The OP has one post to his name so to me he is most likely serious.

If he is serious then he needs some help ASAP.

A lot of people gave him shit so i decided to actually give him some solid advice.
Hopefully now he takes this advice and will get into a more balanced routine.

Considering that this is the beginners forum isn’t this what it’s all about?