T Nation

Chest and shoulder exercises

Do you need to do isolation exercises to build a big chest? And also does a person need to implement alot of presses into their shoulder training or is exercises like lateral raises and external and internal rotation exercises enough?

Try Ian Kings delt routine, its simple but very good. take care – outlaw

Firstly what i have to say on this topic is only my opinion, on what happens with my body.

Do you need to do isolation exercises to build a big chest?
Its not really a matter of *need* its more a matter of what is optimal. I rarely use isolation exercises, although I will include some when I am doing a hypertrophy phase as a prepatory phase for a strength phase. I would not really use them in a strength phase a recovery microcycle or GPP.

And also does a person need to implement alot of presses into their shoulder training or is exercises like lateral raises and external and internal rotation exercises enough?
It will depend on how much other stuff you are doing. ie with heavy benching rowing and the olympic lifts one would have the shoulders reasonable well covered i would think and would need minimal other exercise. However many people do well with the shoulder presses etc in the program. Some coaches seem to ignore shoulder while others spend alot of time with them. Maybe some one else could comment on this