Chest and Back

so i read up on Chad Waterbury’s article “Big Back, Big Chest, Real Fast”, i am going to start up on it. you do 50 pull ups, and 100 push ups 6 days a week, for 3 weeks, and then you take one week off. first off, i was wondering if anyone else has given this a shot? secondly, i was thinking of doing the same thing with body weight squats too, so 100 or 150 reps the same workout as the push ups and pull ups, which one would be the better choice?

and lastly, i was thinking that after i’m done with the 3 weeks on and one week off, that i would do the same thing, but with 1.5x as many reps for each exercise, any opinions? i’d love to hear from as many people as i can on this subject, thank you all.

I used to do something similar with pushups. I did NOT get a big chest from it.

If you’re trying to get a big chest and a big back real fast, I don’t think this will help you.

What did you try with push ups?

My opinion on pushups is somewhat split, so I want to listen also

When I used to workout every day, I’d do a lot of sets of push ups, and it brought my chest and triceps out like cray, so I feel it’d be good, and I don’t have a bench press

I think you’d be better off trying this split…

“Milk & Benchpress” with “Steak & Deadlifts” for a bigger chest and back!

First off, no bench press. Second of all, I only have 90 lbs. Of weight, I deadlift a lot more, but I want a big upper back, and this looks like the perfect solution because it’ll work my biceps for pull ups, and triceps for push ups

I think Waterbury knows his stuff fwiw ; probably would work check out this link before adding 1.5 reps could hurt recovery. post results when done ive never tried super high frequency before good luck

Yeah, I’ll probably just add 10 reps for pull ups, and 20 for the push ups, what do you think about doing bodyweight squat? I was thinking of doing the same amount of squats and push ups, because your legs are strong, ya know? It’d release a lot of testosterone, but I’ve read a lot about Chad Waterbury, and he’s got a degree in physiology I think, so I believe that a lot of what he says is realistic

It’s simple really: It will work if it is demanding on your body. I’m already used to doing craploads of press ups and chin ups, so - no, didn’t work. It simply didn’t stress my body in an unusual way.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
It’s simple really: It will work if it is demanding on your body. I’m already used to doing craploads of press ups and chin ups, so - no, didn’t work. It simply didn’t stress my body in an unusual way.[/quote]

Basically this.

If you’re untrained, can’t really do pushups, can’t do pullups, can’t do squats… you’ll benefit from this. For someone who’s never done pushups outside of a gym class, it could very well add an inch to your chest.

However, after a certain point (basically, if you have any training at all), all you’ll really be doing is working muscular endurance.

A few years back, I had worked myself up to doing 300 pushups a day, every other day. (Along with 300 situps). My muscular endurance was great, but 1) it got boring, and 2) my chest wasn’t growing.

Four weeks of bench pressing gave me better results than several months of pushups.

There ARE benefits to doing pushups though, in the sense of building balance and stability in the shoulder joint, tendons, ligaments, and building up endurance through the “core”… but I don’t recommend it for building muscle.

From the looks of things, riding a skateboard would make your pecs grow.

Go ahead and do it, but understand that at some point for a really big chest, you have to get under the bar (or dumb bells).

Waterbury’s stuff is good, I used Huge in a Hurry to go from beginner to intermediate in my training. But it’s not geared towards the most advanced lifter.

I’m not gonna be doing endurance sets though, if you read the article, he doesn’t have you do endurance, he talks about doing sets where you think you can do another rep or two, which helped him build a lot of muscle.

[quote]Tommiboyy wrote:
I’m not gonna be doing endurance sets though, if you read the article, he doesn’t have you do endurance, he talks about doing sets where you think you can do another rep or two, which helped him build a lot of muscle. [/quote]

I understand what he said. In the beginning, yes, you will gain strength as you add a pushup a day. But toward the end, all it’s going to do is help with your endurance, and not really get you any bigger or stronger.

You have a 90 lb barbell, or 90 lb dumbbells?

There are millions of people in the military/ROTC that do endless sets of pushups and chins, and they VERY RARELY have any muscle to speak of.

You need to lift weights. And get stronger. And eat.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Tommiboyy wrote:
I’m not gonna be doing endurance sets though, if you read the article, he doesn’t have you do endurance, he talks about doing sets where you think you can do another rep or two, which helped him build a lot of muscle. [/quote]

I understand what he said. In the beginning, yes, you will gain strength as you add a pushup a day. But toward the end, all it’s going to do is help with your endurance, and not really get you any bigger or stronger.[/quote]
You’re not looking at the right article, look in Chad Waterbury’s articles, and you’ll find one that says big chest, big back, real fast. That’s the one I’m talking about. You don’t add one each day. You do 50I pull ups, and 100I push ups. But I only have 90 lbs worth of weight I can put on my barbell. I have 2 other 25 lb. Hex dumbbells.

[quote]Tommiboyy wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Tommiboyy wrote:

I understand what he said. In the beginning, yes, you will gain strength as you add a pushup a day. But toward the end, all it’s going to do is help with your endurance, and not really get you any bigger or stronger.[/quote]
You’re not looking at the right article, look in Chad Waterbury’s articles, and you’ll find one that says big chest, big back, real fast. That’s the one I’m talking about. You don’t add one each day. You do 50I pull ups, and 100I push ups. But I only have 90 lbs worth of weight I can put on my barbell. I have 2 other 25 lb. Hex dumbbells.[/quote]

You’re right, I was looking at the wrong article. This is the one you meant: Big Back, Big Chest, Real Fast

(You should have pasted a link.)

I used to do 900-1200 pushups a week. His program has 700 pushups a week.

If I did that and didn’t get a big chest, why do you think you will?

If all you have to work with is bodyweight, here’s what I suggest:

1. Work up to doing sets of 20 regular pushups
  2. Work up to doing sets of 20 with your feet raised
  3. Work up to doing sets of 20 diamond pushups
  4. Work up to doing sets of 20 diamond pushups with feet raised
  5. Work up to doing sets of 20 one-arm pushups (20 with each arm)
  6. Work up to doing sets of 20 one-arm one-leg pushups

If you can do that, I guarantee your core, chest, and arms will be in better shape than what Waterbury proposes.

I can’t paste a link on my cell phone, which is what I use on this site because I’m terrible with computers. But I think it could work for me, because we have different genetics, and different backgrounds, and its worth a shot to me.