Cheese and Transfat?

are there any cheeses that dont have trans-fats all the shit ive been looking at has at least .1g a serving

[quote]bloodandtears wrote:
are there any cheeses that dont have trans-fats all the shit ive been looking at has at least .1g a serving[/quote]

There are natural transfats in dairy.

yeah i also seen that in some meats like ground beef that is lower lean meat percents than 90%… are these transfats the same/better than processed transfats? should you still limit the amount of these natural transfats?

It’s pointless to worry about the miniscule amounts of “trans” fats in natural foods. The bad “trans” fats that we need to avoid are the partially hydrogenated vegetable oils used in processed foods (it’s best to avoid the fully hydrogenated oils as well).

Did you know CLA is actually a natural “trans” fat? Yes, there are healthy trans fats.

Are you eating real cheese? Or are you looking at processed cheese products like Cheez Whiz or Kraft slices? That stuff is crap!

Trans fats are ADDED to foods. They don’t come in naturally occurring things like REAL cheese!

That’s not true actually. There are small amounts of trans fats naturally in meat and dairy. However, the amounts are small and some of these naturally occurring trans fats are actually very healthy (CLA).

You’re right that the ones to avoid are the processed oils added to processed foods. There are fake cheeses on the market today that can probably contain a fair amount of hydrogenated unsaturated oils (=bad trans fats).

So, apparently, we all need to stop talking smack about trans fats and start dissing the hydrogenated.

Damn, it’s too bad that trans is easier to say!

[quote]Kailash wrote:
So, apparently, we all need to stop talking smack about trans fats and start dissing the hydrogenated.
[/quote]

Fully hydrogenated fats are what are commonly known as saturated fats, so you better be careful on what you diss.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Kailash wrote:

Fully hydrogenated fats are what are commonly known as saturated fats, so you better be careful on what you diss.[/quote]

Isn’t hydrogenation the process by which unsaturated oil are made saturated? So hydrogenated oils are not natural saturated fats. There’s supposedly a difference in how they’re metabolized. I’m no expert on this though.

are there any cheeses that dont have trans-fats all the shit ive been looking at has at least .1g a serving[/quote]

I’m curious to what the rest of your diet and training looks like and how much progress you make if you’re willing to eradicate a tenth of a gram of supposed fat from you diet.

Either way, you just asked a question to avoid 0.1 grams per serving??? Do you know how miniscule that is? My god you’re an anal one aren’t you.

Eat the natural cheeses, and as long as you make an effort to avoid the unnatural trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils) you will be fine.

Quit worrying about the tiny (literally) little details.

Saturated means that the molecules are fully loaded with hydrogen atoms.

It does not indicate how they have been produced.

Yes I am eating real cheese not cheese slices or cheese wizz.
I am trying to cut so the miniscule transfat adds up after 4 months of dieting, sorry if I am that motivated to cut fat. But thanks for the input everyone, i just didnt want to give up that cheddar :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I am eating real cheese not cheese slices or cheese wizz.
I am trying to cut so the miniscule transfat adds up after 4 months of dieting, sorry if I am that motivated to cut fat. But thanks for the input everyone, i just didnt want to give up that cheddar :p[/quote]

Whether you are dieting or not IMO I think your “motivation” to cut fat as you put it is overkill. If you are dieting, cut the cheddar maybe and replace it with better fat sources. Are you taking fishoil, olive, etc.? Are you doing energy systems work? I think the big things done consistently make a difference vs. every little tiny detail IMO.

In the long run unless you’re eating a shitload of cheese anyway I don’t think the tenth of a gram is going to fuck up your plans.

Good luck cutting up.

the trans fat in natural dairy products is not the artery clogging trans fat. it is partly CLA as some have suggested and vaccenic acid. these naturally occuring transfats are actually beneficial. here is an article explaining it, scroll down:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1365312

SO im guessing Kraft “Fat Free” Slices are crap? And I thought the 5g of protein per slice were a good thing.

Anyone have a particular brand of cheese that taste decent and is good for you?

any kind of real cheese is fine, just make sure you don’t eat too much at once and that your fats are balanced roughly 1/3 saturated, 1/3 monounsaturated, and 1/3 polyunsaturated for the meal and you will be fine.

a good way to add it to a meal is to grate it onto a salad and add chopped nuts and olive oil or a vinagrette. along with some protein, this will be a be a decent P+F meal.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
max manus wrote:Isn’t hydrogenation the process by which unsaturated oil are made saturated? So hydrogenated oils are not natural saturated fats. There’s supposedly a difference in how they’re metabolized. I’m no expert on this though.

Saturated means that the molecules are fully loaded with hydrogen atoms.

It does not indicate how they have been produced.[/quote]

True, but “hydrogenated” means they have been produced from unsaturated oils through the process of hydrogenation.

I read the ingredients of Kraft Fat Free and didnt find any “hydrogenated” or “modified” or anything of the sort…still bad? I just ask because I just bought it and before I toss the shit I want to be sure. Im a grad student and intern teacher at a high school so money is tight as it is…its hard to just throw shit away. haha.

[quote]49ersFan81 wrote:
I read the ingredients of Kraft Fat Free and didnt find any “hydrogenated” or “modified” or anything of the sort…still bad? I just ask because I just bought it and before I toss the shit I want to be sure. Im a grad student and intern teacher at a high school so money is tight as it is…its hard to just throw shit away. haha. [/quote]

Id eat it, and do but I dont get the Kraft get the off brand its cheaper

Phill

whew…ok good. I was like, “Damn,another thing I gotta trash!?!”

Any grad students in here probably know that 2 or 3 bucks is a god send at times. I hate that grocery stores will have the “healthier” food at 4.59 for a box of organic granola cereal yet generic lucky charms is 99 cents. One of my old fraternity brothers who doesnt give a shit about his eating habits (thanks to amazing genetics) buys those cheap frozen chicken pot pies and celeste pizzas…10 pizzas and 10 pot pies for 20 bucks. Thats his groceries for a week. I spend 150-200 EASILY every trip to the grocery store. Fresh meat, veggies, green tea, healthy snacks, spices, etc etc = $$$.

3 (small as hell) cans of tuna = 5 bucks
5 big frozen pizzas = 5 bucks…

No wonder everyone is fat…its CHEAPER to be fat! That crap should be regulated!