Check Out My Deadlifting Form

I only wear my gear for when i max. I do everything else raw other than the straps, i used them a long time ago and my grip is weak so if i go without them my back will suffer and personally i would rather have a big back than worry about my forarms.

Also those wernt wraps they were knee sleeves as to keep my knees warm (first day i had them so i wanted to try them out.) But other than that using a belt and straps for a max effort isnt to much gear. prior to this i did 365 without gear, and 405 with just straps. Anyways thanks again. fellas

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
Take this with a grain of salt, as I am a pretty small new guy.

I think the weakest part of the lift was the lockout. It looked like a major back hyperextension versus firing the glutes to bring your body to pelvic neutral. If you pause the video at the lockout you are leaning backwards pretty hardcore. Zagman already mentioned this, but I think your lockout could use the most work. This is exactly how I managed to herniate L5-S1 about 6 weeks ago, so learn from my mistakes! I was using my back and hamstrings too much during the lift, and almost stiff-legging the weight up … that, coupled with a slightly rounded back and a shitty lockout led to my disc injury. I have not deadlifted since mid July as a result.

Overall very impressive! My DL is nowhere near.[/quote]

As for the hyperextension, could you send me a link of a video where the form is proper at the top? i thought i was saposed to pull like that :-/ BTW this was a sumo stance deadlift

ok guys its been 5 days and it was back day again and i was feeling strong so i attempted 420 and it came pretty easy so i put on 435 and tried to keep all the tips yall said in my head. Please let me know if this is a better deadlift and how i might improve on this one. Thanks again!

Anyone? I really appreciate and trusts yall opinion. Thanks again

Looks like your hips are coming up before the rest of your body. Can’t tell if you’re totally locked out or leaning back

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Looks like your hips are coming up before the rest of your body. Can’t tell if you’re totally locked out or leaning back[/quote]

X2

I think you missed the lockout a bit and your hips have finished the lift before the weight comes off the ground :-p.

I have the same problem with my hips rising. Try pulling from a deficit and really focus on pushing your feet through the floor and keeping the bar close. When your hips rise first the bar tends to get away from you which makes the rest of lift that much harder.

And don’t forget to flex those glutes at the lockout!

Good pull!

Like others have said you need to pull your hips through and activate the glutes at the end instead of hyperextending the lumbar spine.

First lift looked decent, but there are a few things that you can do to improve your form and get you lifting more weight.

1. Push your chest and abs out. This will prevent you from rounding your low back and will make the lift much safer.

2. Relating to number 1, take a good solid breath (into your stomach, not your shoulders) before you lift the weight. Exhale toward the top. This in combination to pushing your abs out, will make your trunk much more solid, and that usually means not only will you be safer, but you’ll also be able to lift more weight.

3. Why the need to sink your hips so low if you are going for a PR? That creates more distance you need to pull your hips up on the way up. This creates more work for you and makes the lift tougher.

4. Right before you pull, you want to be leaning back. If you were to let go of the bar (when you are leaning back), you would technically want to fly backwards.

Say you are leaning back with 50lbs, that should be at least 25 more pounds you should be able to lift (if your lockout is good). This also helps you drive with more of your heals (where your power is) and prevents the bar from getting in front of you. Use your body weight as leverage.

1. Make sure you have your glutes very will activated before you lift. This will also help you lift more weight and also make the lift safer. Some good ways to active the glute are with glute bridges or reverse hyper extensions.

Also, this might sound gross, but take your hand and shove it flat into your ass crack. If you are able to squeeze your glutes hard, it should be difficult to pull your hand out of your ass. This is what you want.

1. Make sure you are pulling with flat soled shoes or, as I prefer it, bare footed.

Do these, and I guarantee not only will you be safer, but you will be lifting much more weight.

What the fuck are you waiting for??? Lift the damn weight. What were you doing before the lift…making love to the bar?

Watch your knees on the lockout(???).

RED LIGHT again.

TNT

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
What the fuck are you waiting for??? Lift the damn weight. What were you doing before the lift…making love to the bar?

RED LIGHT again.

TNT[/quote]

I have to agree with TNT and others here. I’ve never seen anyone fart about as much as you. Get your form right with earlier deadlifts. You gotta get rid of the demons and trust your body much more. Get rid of the straps!

Still believe you’ve got a 500+ and your form isn’t bad but, FFS, try going into “auto-pilot” straight from the off.

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:

RED LIGHT again.

TNT[/quote]

x2

When you’re ready to go, set up, get your air, grab the bar, and pull.

I’m not sure that this is the best video to show sumo form, but I love it so I’m posting it anyway. Notice how he doesn’t squat over the bar for a full minute before each pull, and how its one motion (not hips then back).

Thanks again guys, and yes i am making love to the bar… Thanks for all the tips, i think ima drop down 30 or so pounds and just try to nail the form. and speed of the lift. no more waiting around.

[quote]Jakebambeeno wrote:

Also, this might sound gross, but take your hand and shove it flat into your ass crack. If you are able to squeeze your glutes hard, it should be difficult to pull your hand out of your ass. This is what you want.

[/quote]

Now that is hardcore.

“You ready to lift?”

“Yes, but I can’t get my hand out of my ass.”

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Jakebambeeno wrote:

Now that is hardcore.

“You ready to lift?”

“Yes, but I can’t get my hand out of my ass.”

[/quote]

…made me laugh.

Second lift…

your hips rise first, this means you are using ONLY the lumbar to lift the weight, which is gonna end in tears my friend.

You need to do this: when you squat down and push through the heels - keep the hips a little more static, just till the bar reaches the knees, then push the hips forward explosively, and the SHOULDERS back - into the lockout, where it is the shoulders retracting that finishes the lift… NOT the lumbar, as in your case.

You are strong, but with the form you currently use, you are begging for injury.

I strongly suggest dropping 1-200lbs and getting the form down… :wink:

JJ