Check My Training

hi what do you think bout my training regimen

3 to 4 sessions a week , fourth session is reserved for working on weak points

the plan revolves around the squat,bench,deadlift. every one of those is done heavy once per week i.e 3 sets (75,85,95%)with the other two done 5 sets 8 reps relatively light , adding to that i do 3 sets of 8 military press and 30 chins every session

for example bench day would look like this

bench 75%x7 , 85%x5 , 95%x2
squat 5x8
deadlift 5x8
military 3x8
30 chins

i am by no means an advanced lifter, my numbers are right now :

bench 220
squat 300
deadlift 330
@210 lbs BW

thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hey man this is just me but I like doing a bit more upper mid back work than that just me. Seems to get all my lifts up the fastest.

Besides that looks pretty good to me.

maybe i’ll incorporate that in my fourth session , maybe some barbell/dumbell rows

other opinions ?

I like the high volume you’re getting with the main movements on days when they’re not the main goal, but doing 5 sets of 8 suggests to me that you may be going a bit too light with these. Cut these to sets of 5 or 3 with a bit heavier weight (nothing close to your 5RM or 3RM, but enough to get a bit more of a stimulus) and I’d think you’ll get more out of those sets.

For each day’s main movement, working up to 95% for 2 reps won’t be doable long term. Your lifts are still at the novice stage, so overtaxing yourself by constantly working at high percentages of your 1RM shouldn’t be an issue. As your lifts increase, you may find the need to work at lower percentages for more volume (or alter the movements themselves from week to week, a la the conjugate system). For now, though, it looks fine.

I won’t comment on assistance work (chins, etc.); that’s highly individual, so some people don’t feel the need to do anything, while others constantly need to work on prehab/weaknesses. Find out through trial and error what works for you.

Where’s the periodization? I think it would be better if you just ran 5/3/1 and then kept the assistance work the same.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
Where’s the periodization? I think it would be better if you just ran 5/3/1 and then kept the assistance work the same.[/quote]

DERAIL

^Is that you in your avatar? I’ve never seen a pic of you before. How the fuck did you get so big? Your arms are titanic. You should do a thread on your training or a log or somethin.

/DERAIL OVER

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
Where’s the periodization? I think it would be better if you just ran 5/3/1 and then kept the assistance work the same.[/quote]

DERAIL

^Is that you in your avatar? I’ve never seen a pic of you before. How the fuck did you get so big? Your arms are titanic. You should do a thread on your training or a log or somethin.

/DERAIL OVER[/quote]

That’s a picture of me before I lost 40lbs. Unfortunately, when that picture was taken I had a gut to match those guns.

My strength is pretty pathetic right now because I’m coming back from a low back injury and I’ve been cutting for the past 8 months shrugs it is what it is. I’ll get back there and I’ll do it lean this time.