T Nation

Check My Routine

Ok so here is my routine I just want to make sure I am working the right part of the body with its correct correspondence. Any tips and changes will be very helpful!

Monday: Chest/Biceps
Tuesday: Shoulders/Triceps
Wednesday: Cardio/Abs
Thursday: Back/Biceps
Friday: Legs
Sat & Sun off.

I've also been trying to do Cardio and Abs every other day so like mon/wed/fri. If there needs to be some changes let me know. Thanks

Hard to say anything because I can't see what the full program is like. Sounds like you're in that beginner direction of doing way too much. How old are you? How much do you weigh? Body composition? Training age? How many sets per bodypart?

Not trying to nit pick but can't give you any real answers based on this. Right off the bat though I see you do biceps twice a week, triceps once, why is that? Shoulders and triceps the day after benching may become a problem over a time too, what chest exercises???? That's why I like an Upper/Lower Split, get enough volume in for each body part by training everything twice a week, but that's just me. Need more details.....hope that helps a little.

i'm 22, 165 lbs, 6', and have been training consistanly for about 9 months. I usually do 3 sets of 10 or sometimes 4 sets depending how I feel that day. There is no particular reason for biceps twice a week I try to switch it up with tri's so one week i'll do biceps twice and tri's once then the next i'll do biceps once and tri's twice. sometimes I just do them both once a week as well. when I do chest I bench with the smith machine (going down to the neck I read it in a fourm here I do have a spotter) then incline, decline, cable cross overs, and once in a while pec deck. so should I possibly do back after chest insted of shoulders and tri's?

If you have a spotter i would get off the smith machine for chest and use a barbell. I also dont see how you do triceps the day after chest and with shoulders because anything like a military press or DB press use triceps. It just seems like your not giving your triceps a break but then again i dont know your recovery ability

More legs and Back, less Biceps and Abs.

Generally, try and group your 'push' and 'pull' exercises together as they work similar muscle groups.

Ie Shoulders, Chest, Tris often faill together for pushing type exercises

Whereas your biceps and back are involved in pulling exercises.

If you group it like that it should help you to avoid overtraining the muscles that are still recovering from yesterdays session.

Also switch legs around, do it earlier in the week rather than at the end. They're the biggest muscle group in the body and working them hard early will be good for the rest of the week.

awesome I will definatly switch things around now that I know what muscle groups to work together. so would this be better?

Monday:Chest/shoulders/tri's
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Cardio/ Abs
Thursday: Back and Biceps
Friday: Legs?

How many sets and reps should I be doing as well?

What the hell are you doing? There are plenty of good programs in the four stickies at the top of the beginners section. They include many a good program including sets/reps. You are asking people here to design a program for you when we don't know anything about you.

If you want that you are going to have to list the exercises you plan, your goals for longer than the next two months, your diet, how much you can lift and how much you can rest. Even then, most of the responses you get will be wrong. Because we do not know what works best for you.

Which responses, you will not know, because you do not know what is best for you. I can assure you that being a beginner, there will be way too many exercises per bodypart, because you believe more is better.

The way for you to find out what is best for you is to try some programs in the stickies and find what works best. Try some diets in the stickies and find what works best. For you.

I wasn't asking for you guys to design my workout for my I was just asking what would be best. I understand no one knows me and what I can do but thats why I was asking for opinions. I will for sure check out the stickies thanks for the advice.