Cheatin' The Reaper One Day At A Time

[quote]PeteS wrote:
The yoke bar has two places: DL day or squat day. Or as I am migrating back to, an ME movement or a speed/assistance movement. If you are going to keep your squat and dl days separate, doing say yoke bar box squats every 3 week on your dl day, to a 3 or 5 rm will help your pull. You can also use the bar on squat day if your shoulders feel like shit from benching.

Do something like:

pull from floor/ssb to high box/accessory
ssb gm/front squat for high reps/accessory
defecit pulls/speed pulls w/bands/accessory
ssb box squat to 1rm/rack pulls/blah blah
try PR from floor

thoughts… [/quote]

Pete, thanks. My shoulders feel good when I squat because my days are set up as
squat
bench
dead

I may use the yoke bar on DL day to do GMs on the first week of DL. Do a 5x3 ramping based on % of DL. I may just use the oly bar until I get comfortable with the yoke. I need to get comfortable with the new feeling of weight distribution. I remember from the past feeling like I was about to tip over. Old dog, old tricks.

So DL weeks could look like
Yoke GMs 5x3/access
DL against mini 5x3/access
Rack Pulls 5x3/access
DL from floor 5x3/access
deload

I’ve never really gotten into box squatting. I’m a creature of habit and have my comfort zones. Maybe I should broaden my horizons and take a leap of faith.

I’m sure my “new” comrades will have some suggestions and input as well.

2/7 Mon
Normal bench nite Tuesday, moved to today. Jr High daughter’s concert tomorrow nite.
New gym, new apparatuses, surprised it’s not apparati. Benched in the “Employee Only” room. Everything else in the land of sleeveless shirts and skinny legs. FYI, Monday is International Bench and Curl day in commercial gyms. I had forgotten, never again.

Bench
1x5 175
1x5 190
1x5 200
1x5 215
1x10 225 - this is a +1 rep from last week. I’ll take it.

Incline Bench
4x6 165

Tricep Pushdown - new apparatus
1x15 95 Did first set at 95. Normal weight at other gym. oooops, papa bear.
1x15 85 Second set 85…oooops, mama bear
1x15 75 Like Goldilocks…baby bear weight was just right. Will build from here.

Found out new gym has a sauna. Post workout just got a little more enjoyable.

Thurs 2/10 Pull nite
Played around with the bands. Tested and found they added 110# at the top. Played with speed pulls. Will gradually increase weight as I get acclimated to the movement.

Did both conventional and sumo with each weight.
Speed type pulls v. 110# bands
1x3 95 (+110) = 205 at top
1x3 135 (+110) = 245 at top
1x3 180 (+110) = 290 at top
1x3 220 (+110) = 330 at top
1x3 265 (+110) = 375 at top

Barbell Rows
4x6 220

Trap bar shrugs
4x6 290

The speed pulls were fun. Never really did them before. Can feel it in my glutes from firing hips.

2/13 Sun - Squats

Back squats
1x8 215
1x8 230
1x5 245
1x5 260
1x3 280

Front Squats
3x10 155

Good Mornings (lite)
3x8 135

Squats were free and easy.

2/15 Tues Bench

Flat bench
1x5 175
1x5 190
1x5 200
1x5 215
1x11 225 (+1 rep over last week, +2 rep since 1st week of month)

Incline bench
4x6 165

Tri Pushdown
3x15 75

Like your workouts. No nonsense and centered all around the 3 big lifts. So now that you’ve fallen in with a younger crowd of pls, any plans on competing?

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Like your workouts. No nonsense and centered all around the 3 big lifts. So now that you’ve fallen in with a younger crowd of pls, any plans on competing? [/quote]

Thanks Harry, I’ve followed your log through my time here. It’s motivating to see the #s you push/move.

I try to keep my workouts simple. My recovery isn’t what it once was. There are days I feel like I’m held together with duct tape and bailing wire. I couldn’t imagine a 2hr workout today.

I have a pipe dream of officially competing again when I hit 50. I’ll be 49 in Sept '11. I may dabble in some events leading up to that point to get a feel again. I enjoy being around the young bucks. They’re ambititous, intense, and highly motivated. It motivates the bejeebers out of me.

2/18 Thurs pull nite

Rack Pulls (below knee)
1x3 340
1x3 360
1x3 385
1x3 405
1x3 425

Bent Rows
4x6 220

Trap Bar Shrugs
4x6 290

Absolutely beat after this one. The last set rack pulls could’ve turned intio 3 singles very easily. Talked to buddy who works at gym. He’s a 198# (geared) and pulls @ 700. We went over my program. Will be changing up sets/reps of accessory movements next month. Goin to bastardize Wendler a little.

[quote]hawkcapt1912 wrote:

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Like your workouts. No nonsense and centered all around the 3 big lifts. So now that you’ve fallen in with a younger crowd of pls, any plans on competing? [/quote]

Thanks Harry, I’ve followed your log through my time here. It’s motivating to see the #s you push/move.

I try to keep my workouts simple. My recovery isn’t what it once was. There are days I feel like I’m held together with duct tape and bailing wire. I couldn’t imagine a 2hr workout today.

I have a pipe dream of officially competing again when I hit 50. I’ll be 49 in Sept '11. I may dabble in some events leading up to that point to get a feel again. I enjoy being around the young bucks. They’re ambititous, intense, and highly motivated. It motivates the bejeebers out of me. [/quote]

Why wait? do a meet and get the experience and a total, go up from there

dude, just jump on in and do a meet. Nutter should have another one come fall, if nothing else.

2/20 Sun Squat

Back Squat
1x8 215
1x8 230
1x5 245
1x5 260
1x3 280

Front Squat
3x10 155

Will be coming into deload week in a couple weeks. Buddy who heads up PL group is doing Juggernaut program. Similar in some respects to 5/3/1. May be giving this a go.

Adfter feeling the heat from Pete & Soldog (you guys were right), I talked about meets with him. Want to get my numbers up in bench then will look first to local push/pull or local full power. I’m comfortable with current squat and DL numbers.

Funny, you bench looks plenty strong to me in comparison with the other two. But few people ever say “I bench enough”

2/22 Tues Bench

Bench
1x5 175
1x5 190
1x5 200
1x5 215
1x10 225

Stopped at 10. Lost some tightness and didn’t want to sacrifice form.

Incline
4x6 165

Tri Pushdown
3x15 75

Good nite, felt good

My buddy who works at the gym talked to me tonite. First, he brings in an Okie DL bar. Get to use it on Thursday. Second, we talked about ways to make “the room” better. His brother is a good welder. He’s gonna make a L bracket to secure the bar for t-bar rows and OH pushes. We’re also gonna “relocate” the trap bar to our room for farmers walks in the alley behind the gym. I’m gonna hit up the local Praxair & anyone else who uses tanked gas to see about out of spec tanks. Weld a handle and we won’t need the trap bar for farmer’s walks.

A swiss bar & sand bags are in our not to distant future, as is a foot jack for unloading the DL bar. I know where we can get a quality platform.

I feel like a kid at Christmas.

2/24 Thurs Deadlift

Used the new Okie bar. Thinner & 1 foot longer than normal bar. Need to get acclimated to bar.

1x3 215
1x3 255
1x3 300
1x3 340 felt moderately heavy - bad sign
1x1 385 should have been 1x3. Weight would not come off floor. May not have adequately pulled the slack out of the bar. Form felt fine. No panic…yet.

BB Rows
4x6 220

Trap Bar Shrugs
4x6 290

Next week is a deload and I think it’s coming at a good time.

2/27 Sun Squat Deload

5x5 Some

Front Squat
1x10

Hips tight as hell. Went to see my ailing mother over the weekend, she’s 90. Spent some time in the pool Saturday night. Swam & did walking lunges, etc. in the pool for about 1.5 hrs.

Helped a buddy do some shirted work after my dicking around in the power rack. He has a meet next weekend in Dubuque. Gonna help him out at the meet, it’s his first real meet.

There’s a prowler in the room now. My friend’s dad made/welded it. The back alley it gonna be a GPP heaven. Prowler, 300# tire., weighted kegs. I need to get some O2 tanks foe farmer’s walks. The “room” is really starting to take shape.

Sounds like a great set up there. Good stuff.

3/2 bench (deload)

5x5 bench
2x10 oh press
1x15 tri pushdown

My McDonald’s pre-workout burgers really paid dividends tonite. I was running late this morning and didn’t have time to make my lunches like I normally do. I was craving that quart of milk allllllllll day.

Some skinny, sleeveless shirted, glove wearing jack-holes were doing what looked like hang cleans in the room w/the new Okie DL bar. There’s a big blue (painters tape) piece of tape on the bar that reads DL ONLY. They’re lucky I found them before anyone else did.

Sometimes LIFE gets in the way. Spent a lot of time the last 2 weeks in my home town. My mom is 90 and her health is failing. Stress can derail the best of plans. I got home late last night. One of the guys I’ve been helping did a push/pull. He hit a 429 shirted bench. Has a no-lift as an opener. He got the final wieght 457 but got red lighted for lifting his butt off the bench. He pulled a PR 606 (?) in a DL suit.

Anyway, here’s what I was able to muster today.

3/6 Squats

1x8 200
1x8 220
1x5 235
1x5 250
1x3+ 270 for 6

Front squats
4x10 135

SLDL
4x10 135

Trap Bar shrugs
4x10 225

My right knee is less than happy with me right now.

To say there’s stress in my world is an understatement. My mom is in the hopsital. We’re expected her to be released on Saturday. We have in-home home hospice lined up for her. Hard to see such a strong woman now frail with health and age. Good days, bad days. We laugh, we cry. At least allof the kids got to know her. The younger ones never met their grandpa.

My workouts have been a means of escape. I will be starting the Juggernaut program. I have given the initial bench and deadlift days a trial run.

I am undecided on whether I’ll do back squats or front squats. I’m leaning toward front squats as my main squat movement. I’ll base my workouts off the following estimated 1RM.
Squat - Back 350, Front 270
Bench - 300
Deadlift - 425
OH Press - 135 (I haven’t done OH Press in years & want to ramp into it.)

Tuesday (3/8) Bench

Bench
5x10 160

BB Row
5x10 155 (may want to increase weight)

Tri Pushdown
5x10 70

This one went pretty easy. Lots of volume early but it will decrease. Feeling my way through the weight of the assisitance lifts.

Tonite 3/10 Deadlift

Deadlift
5x10 230

GM
4x6 185 (This will go up)

Running late on time. Didn’t get to the 3x10 Squats.