T Nation

Cheapest Grippers I've Ever Seen

im looking at iron mind.com and these are by far the cheapest grippers ive ever seen, never used them what level should i start out with?
let me know if u need weights ive used for certain exercises thanks.

Get an S or a T. The number one is probably going to be too much for you to close for reps. The captains of crush are hard to close and they are not bullshitting when they say most people who train with weights have difficulty closing a #1.

CoC’s are IMO the BEST gripper you can get. I’m still working on a #1. I can close it for 5 reps with each hand without prepping for it. I’m thinking of getting the 1.5 to prep myself for a #2. Only one person I know can close a #2, and only for a single rep.

Of course, I did get to meet Magnus Samuelsson, one of only FIVE people who’ve ever closed a #4 gripper officially.

thanks guys so the ill be looking into ordering these soon, will they help with the deadlift and such?

I’d suggest starting with the #1 and maybe the trainer. Most people (even if they regularly lift weights) will still find the #1 challenging (and possibly be unable to close it). Rarely are people able to close the #2 without any specific training.

The trainer can either be used as a warm-up (if you can close the #1) or a method of working up to closing the #1. It’s not essential, but if you’ve got the dough it can be helpful.

skip the trainer get the #1.

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
skip the trainer get the #1.[/quote]

I concur. If you’re going to get 2, then get the trainer (for reps) and the number 1, but if you’re only getting one then get the #1.

I initially got a 150 lb Heavy Grips trainer - it was a good start for me. I’m ready for 200lb now.

As others say, if you are getting a single trainer, get 150lb. If you are getting two, whether a second one should be 100lb or 200lb depends on your current grip strength.

What are your deadlift and weighted chin-ups?

I just got my CoC grippers in the mail today.

The #2 Ironmind is equivalent to the 250 Heavy Gripper I have.

The #1 is about as hard as the 200lb HG. Maybe a little easier; 180ish.

Out of the box I got 4 reps with the #1 and was not even close to the #2.

I love the deep knurling on them too.

405 deadlift
180pound farmers
chinups with bw(255) ive done eight before

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
I just got my CoC grippers in the mail today.

The #2 Ironmind is equivalent to the 250 Heavy Gripper I have.

The #1 is about as hard as the 200lb HG. Maybe a little easier; 180ish.[/quote]

You are right, even though CoC #1 are rated at 140 and #2 at 195. Looks like HeavyGrips and CoC use different calibration techniques.

OP,
Your lifts are higher than mine and you probably have good grip strength. If getting one trainer, get #1. If two, get a trainer and #1.

[quote]bignate wrote:
405 deadlift
180pound farmers
chinups with bw(255) ive done eight before[/quote]

Support grip strength (as is needed for things like deads, farmers, etc…) is not necessarily a good indicator of crushing grip strength (which is required for grippers). The only way to know where you stand is to buy the grippers and find out.

That’s why I suggested starting with the #1. You might be able to close that out of the box, very unlikely you’ll be able to close the #2 without specific training.

Then again you might not, in which case the trainer would be a good way of working your way up.

Gday guys, Im new the forums, but thought I could offer some advice. Ive got the S, T, #1, #1.5 and #2 from CoC. The S is extremely easy to close, as is the T, and I use both just as a “warm up”. My main sets I use the #1 and #1.5. Never closed the #2, but hopefully soon. Personally, I have found that they do nothing to help grip strength when deadlifting.

When I bought mine about 9 months ago, functionalhandstrength.com was the cheapest and offer deals if you buy multiple grippers.

I don’t think grippers have great carryover to farmers, but if you’re looking for ideas of what to buy then my best farmers is a 220 per hand (25lb long handles, yes it makes a difference) for 50+ft last week. I can close the #1 8-10 times, close a BBSA for one or two (don’t have it on me) and do negatives with a number 2. The trainer is just silly, and I used to do sets of 20+ with it back when I was only closing the number 1 for a couple reps.