Cheapest Diet in Australia Possible

@simo74 can you please give me the garbage can chilli recipe lol

You asked for it, so here it is. It is not exactly gourmet but its very quick to make and it’s tasty and cheap.

Basic ingredients:
Oil – usually olive oil
Minced garlic (you can buy a big jar of this and its not too expensive)
Ground Beef – I use the 3 star cheap stuff usually cost me about $4 for 500g (you can use turkey mince which is also cheap)
A can of beans 400g- red kidney or 5 bean mix, usually get these for about $1 for a 400g can
A can of tomatoes 400g - usually around $1 or sometimes even cheaper.
I packet of chilli spice mix - you can just use a mix of spices from the cupboard if you have them but I am lazy and you can buy these sachets ready to go, homebrand is usually around $1.50 a sachet.

Extra ingredients – this is what makes it garbage can chilli, I’ll talk about this more at the end

How to make it:

I made this last night so hopefully I can remember how I did it.

1. Get a big frying pan or sauce pan, add a splash of oil and put it on the heat.
  2. Add a nice big tea spoon if minced garlic
  3. As the garlic starts to spit add your ground meat and stir it in – I used 500g of beef mince last night.
  4. Whilst the meat is browning open your can of beans, put them in a colander and wash the beans thoroughly, they are usually in some sort of brine and will make you chilli taste like ass if you don’t wash them
  5. Fry the meat until its all brown then add the chili spice sachet, stir this through
  6. Add the beans stir through and cook for a couple of mins
  7. Add the tomatoes stir through.
  8. Add a little water I usually just half fill the tomato can and swirl the water round to pick up any tomatoes left in the can – you don’t want the chilli too watery so best to add a little at a time.
  9. Leave it to simmer (that’s a light bubble don’t boil the shit out of it) for 5 mins or so

But wait a minute what about the garbage can stuff….?

OK so basically I add to the chilli any of the following:

1. Left over veggies from a previous dinner (broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, carrot, beans, squash, zucchini …you get the idea)
  2. Any veggies in the fridge that are getting soft
  3. Any salad leaves in the fridge that are starting to brown
  4. Frozen peas or beans
  5. Left over meat from the fridge (chicken, beef, pork)

With the veggies if they are raw, I chop them and add them at the start at the same time as the garlic (step2), If you are wanting to add raw potato I would microwave the potatoes whole first to soften them a bit and then chop them up with the skins still on and throw it in. If your veggies are already cooked and left over from another meal or frozen then I add them at the same time as the can of beans (step 6).

With the left over meat I usually add this just as the ground meat is browning (between step 3 and 5).

That’s it I then split this up into 4 tubs and add to is a couple of cups of basmati rice. This does me 2 days worth of lunches at work.

Some like it HOT !!! - Depening on how hot you like your chilli you may want to add extra chilli to it, either cayenne pepper, chilli flakes or even fresh chopped chilli if you have any.

Cost:
Meat $4, Beans $1, Tomatoes $1, spice mix $1.50, sundries (garlic and oil) $0.25, rice (I get a 5kg bag for $8 so its cheap) $0.50 = Total $8.25, Cost per portion = $2.06 - This excludes the cost of any other veggies and stuff but in most cases I was probably going to throw it away anyway.

Each tub has around Protein – 40g, Fat 20g, Carbs 52g (depends how much rice you add), Cals 560 (again depends on the rice add)

Obviously if you want to make this with 1kg of meat you just need a bigger pan and double all of the other ingredients.

Here is some pics of mine from last night. I added some celery that was in the fridge and starting to wilt and go soft, some chicken from the previous nights dinner, and some frozen peas. I am on a low carb day tomorrow so little to no rice added to the tubs. Enjoy.

6 Likes

Thanks heaps @simo74 i cant wait to try it, cooking it up after school

@simo74 thanks! Just cooked it up i dont hav chilli sspices so i used paprika and curry powder and i used chick peas,spring oniom and mushrooms!

1 Like

I used one kg of mince and two tins kf tomatoes lol im freezing some

Put with leftover rice made 7 meals with it thanks so much! Also had a bowl its so yum

1 Like

^^I do the garbage can chilli thing too (although beans fuck me up so I exclude those).

Ground beef (we call it “mince” in the uk) is just the best thing ever. You can add any veg you want and if you keep a decently stocked spice cupboard the flavour variations are infinite.

2 Likes

Well done it looks awesome, glad you liked it. If you dont have a spice mix then for chilli with 500g mince, try 1-2 teaspoons of hot chilli powder, 2 teaspoons of ground cumin and 2 teas spoons of ground coriander. I also like to add a bit of Worcestershire sauce to mine. But as @yogi1 says you can add what ever spices you like and mix it up each time.

2 Likes

Sweet! Thanks again