Cheapest Barbell Set

Anyone purchase a good olympic weight set for cheap recently? I am building a home gym, and plan on craigslist searching for all equipment, except the barbell set. I plan on starting with just a 300lb set or something close, and will buy additional 45’s later, and probably as bumper plates.

A google search reveals many options, but I am concerned the bars will be of low quality. Now, I do not need a super nice powerlifting bar for the first year or so, but do want something that feels of ‘gym quality’.

If a set is listed as ‘Olympic’ is it considered good enough for that? Thanks for you help guys.

I broke a low quality bar (collar cracked in half all the way through) loaded with only 200something by dropping it on the floor. I know some people have made good pickups on quality bars by finding out the brand/model by looking at the sleeves of the bar and doing some research.

Personally I would get a 300lb set or two off craigslist, and just use the cheap bars temporarily or for stuff like rack pulls. Those sets go for < $100 which is money/time saved that you could put into finding a nice bar.

Dude, just buy a very good bar and if you can, get the plates used.

Buy nice don’t buy twice. You don’t want a bar falling apart mid squat, mid bench or mid overhead press.

[quote]frankjl wrote:
Buy nice don’t buy twice. You don’t want a bar falling apart mid squat, mid bench or mid overhead press.[/quote]

This is exactly why I am asking for advice on what is a quality bar. Advice?

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
I broke a low quality bar (collar cracked in half all the way through) loaded with only 200something by dropping it on the floor. I know some people have made good pickups on quality bars by finding out the brand/model by looking at the sleeves of the bar and doing some research.

Personally I would get a 300lb set or two off craigslist, and just use the cheap bars temporarily or for stuff like rack pulls. Those sets go for < $100 which is money/time saved that you could put into finding a nice bar.[/quote]

I insist on buying the weights new. Other equipment may come and go, but there is no reason the weights and bars cant last the rest of my life. Hence, I wont accept second hand weights.

What brand bar broke on you? What do you think is a good bar? Thanks for you reply.

Texas power bar is often mentioned as an all around good bar that’s not too expensive.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
Texas power bar is often mentioned as an all around good bar that’s not too expensive.[/quote]

Nice. I see them for around $375, I think that is what I’ll get down the road. They look thick and sturdy.

Get a texas power bar you wont regret it