Cheaper Way To Get Chains?

I’ve been looking into getting some chains for lifting. I looked on Elitefts and they are kind of pricy. Anyone know some other reliable places? Also, would it be worth it to invest in some collars and buy my own chains at a hardware store? The collars are like $30 for a pair, plus the cost of the chain from a hardware store. Any thoughts?

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
I’ve been looking into getting some chains for lifting. I looked on Elitefts and they are kind of pricy. Anyone know some other reliable places? Also, would it be worth it to invest in some collars and buy my own chains at a hardware store? The collars are like $30 for a pair, plus the cost of the chain from a hardware store. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Get out the yellow pages and find a chain and cable store. Of if you know anybody that works in a factory, etc. where they have chain rigging, ask where they get it from.

When you call tell them you want proof coil and give them the sizes. If you are lucky, they will have some bottom of the barrel chain (odd lengths that aren’t particularly salable in the broader market but can be cut to lengths that will work for you) and will sell it to you cheap.

Good luck.

1 Like

You can buy chains from the hardware store, but the problem is that most hardware stores only carry up to 3/8th size chain. And that just isn’t very heavy. You could just buy more chain, but then it gets to be hassle to carry that many chains around and a pain to set up.

Try to find somewhere where you can get larger chains: factories, junk yards, places that deal with boat or car towing, etc.

Don’t even bother buying those 30 dollar collars. I just bought my own set up and here is what I acquired:

From Home Depot:

2 5’ lengths of 1/4 inch chain (for lead chain)

2 big carabiners

2 little things that can complete a 1/4" chain by screwing it together

1 long foam thing that you use to cover pipes. I use these around the part of the chain where it rests on the bar so no nitwits at the gym yell at me for scratching the bar.

Then I got 5/8" inch chain from an anchor marine store. Ask for 5/8" galvanized proof coil chain. I got 4 5-foot lenghts for 70 dollars. Order from elite and the price + shipping would end up twice as much for just one set! Also, I have a friend who went to Home Depot and got them to actually order some 5/8" chain, but he’s still waiting on them.

I actually went the quick and easy way and do have/use the 3/8 links. I got six of them 10’ in length so I just fold them over onto themselves and I use the carabiners as mentioned above. I clip them to olympic collar that have the two prongs so it works pretty well.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
Don’t even bother buying those 30 dollar collars. I just bought my own set up and here is what I acquired:

From Home Depot:

2 big carabiners

1 long foam thing that you use to cover pipes. I use these around the part of the chain where it rests on the bar so no nitwits at the gym yell at me for scratching the bar.

Then I got 5/8" inch chain from an anchor marine store. Ask for 5/8" galvanized proof coil chain. I got 4 5-foot lenghts for 70 dollars. Order from elite and the price + shipping would end up twice as much for just one set! Also, I have a friend who went to Home Depot and got them to actually order some 5/8" chain, but he’s still waiting on them.[/quote]

I had a different experience. After looking around for a while the only place I could find had 1/2" chain, not 5/8" which means that you have to buy twice as much. Like a moron I thought “oh, it’s 80% as thick, it’ll weigh 80% of the 5/8” " Doesnt work that way.

I figured out why based on calculations of area, but this was probably 3 years ago now, so its somewhat taxing to my memory. So buying 4 5 foot lengths of 1/2" was, I think $10 cheaper than gettign shipped from EFS and I didnt get a carabiner to go with it.

If I had to do it again, personally, I’d just go with elite, but you might want to just invest 20-30 min calling around hardware stores and boat yards in your area.

Thank you for all the input gentlemen. So Publick, you recommend getting 5 feet worth for each chain? What do you mean by “lead chain?” Sorry if I am ignorant, but I am new to all this. It definitely sounds as if you saved quite a bit of money, though. I live in Ohio and the cost of shipping just to my house a couple hours away is ridiculous. Meanwhile, Home Depot is 10 minutes away. I will head over there and see if I can start getting a set put together. Thanks!

[quote]PublickStews wrote:

From Home Depot:

2 big carabiners

Then I got 5/8" inch chain from an anchor marine store. Ask for 5/8" galvanized proof coil chain. I got 4 5-foot lenghts for 70 dollars. Order from elite and the price + shipping would end up twice as much for just one set! Also, I have a friend who went to Home Depot and got them to actually order some 5/8" chain, but he’s still waiting on them.[/quote]

Try 1st-Chain Supply on the net. Go to the page for Grade 30 proof coil chain and scroll down to the 1/2" size. The overstock pail at 40 ft (about 107 lbs as I recall) for $98 PLUS SHIPPING is a pretty good deal - I paid a total of $141 with shipping to SW Michigan. Call them to get an accurate quote.

Cut the chain into eight equal lengths with a grinding wheel (or your teeth if you’re tough enough). You will end up with four 25 lb sets of chains. Add some connector chain from Home Depot/Lowes and some caribiners to hold them together and you’re in business.

1st-Chain Supply also sells pre-cut weightlifting chains in a variety of link sizes - no shipping charges, but the price per pair seems high.

go to www.ironwoodyfitness.com. They are cheaper and provide great service.

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
Thank you for all the input gentlemen. So Publick, you recommend getting 5 feet worth for each chain? What do you mean by “lead chain?” Sorry if I am ignorant, but I am new to all this. It definitely sounds as if you saved quite a bit of money, though. I live in Ohio and the cost of shipping just to my house a couple hours away is ridiculous. Meanwhile, Home Depot is 10 minutes away. I will head over there and see if I can start getting a set put together. Thanks!

[/quote]

You need a lead chain because the heavy stuff needs to be completely deloaded at the bottom of each rep. If you attached a huge chain right to the bar, the deload would be minimal. The smaller lead chain will hang directly from the bar, while the bigger 5/8" chain will be attached. Here’s a video of what it should look like, roughly. Notice the smaller chain hanging directly from the barbell:

In addition, here’s a seemingly stupid little extra bit of advice. If you get Grade 30 5/8" proof coil chain, make sure your segments have an odd number of chain links. If your chain is like mine, you should have 29 links which will make almost exactly 20 lbs per chain.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I am going to check into several different options and weigh the costs. But once again, thanks for all the ideas.

I’ve gone to a crane company here in town 3 different times. They charge $5 per foot, that’s $50 for one set. The guys were really nice and came out and fired up the torch, measured it and that was it. No way I was paying internet prices.

As far as the collars, get some rope. It’s only supporting 20 lbs, easily adjustable. I use plain rope that holds a knot well and doesn’t stretch.

If you live near Columbus you can go to Topper Supply Company www.toppersupply.com. They are on south high street. This is where Westside Barbell gets there chains. Its cheaper than Elite but not drastically. You get everything you need though and they have all the chain sizes you want.

Unfortunately I am in Northwest Ohio. Columbus is a good 2 hour drive, atleast.

[quote]WilliamH.Bonney wrote:
If you live near Columbus you can go to Topper Supply Company www.toppersupply.com. They are on south high street. This is where Westside Barbell gets there chains. Its cheaper than Elite but not drastically. You get everything you need though and they have all the chain sizes you want.[/quote]