Cheap Way to Pad Deadlifts

I lift weights in my basement so no problem breaking the floor but now I am running out of places to put the bar without it being in a hole so what should I do just throw some wood over the floor or something?

Bumper plates? Rubber padding? Build a dealift platform?

ummm I hate to tell you, but breaking your basement floor is a problem.

You have holes in your basement floor and you don’t think that’s a problem? First, fix your floor. Then lay down a couple sheets of plywood and a rubber mat over that. Simplest solution

Deadlift upstairs and break that floor, when you run out of room, deadlift in the attic. When all the floors are gone do one of two things…

1. Fix the floors and deadlift again, from downstairs progressing up a floor as they deteriorate, repeat. (could get expensive)
    …or
  2. Deadlift in your neighbors house.

I like the idea of pulling in your neihbors house lol. While you are at it kick his ass AND make him carry your weights over…

here is how I made my platform for about 50 bucks (I also attached our squat rack towards the front of it, but still room to pull freely on back of platform)

4 8x12 sheets plywood stacked perpindicular to eachother in 2 layers, so one layer is crisscrossed from the second layer

about 50-100 wood screws

I would suggest heavy duty, extremely short carpeting, just like a meet platform, for maximum traction…

industrial carpet glue
a 12-16 sheet of carpet

We also bolted our squat rack but you dont need to do that

there ya go

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
Deadlift upstairs and break that floor, when you run out of room, deadlift in the attic. When all the floors are gone do one of two things…

1. Fix the floors and deadlift again, from downstairs progressing up a floor as they deteriorate, repeat. (could get expensive)
    …or

[/quote]

3. Buy new house.

I don’t think its a problem because the floor is plain concrete and I am the only who ever goes down there literally I think someone besides me has been down there maybe 10 times in the last 5 years. It isn’t like a nice basement it is more like a ultra shitty garage and the floor and walls are already full of holes so it doesn’t make much of a difference. But I asked this because most of the floor is bumpy and the part that isn’t is running out of space that doesn’t have holes.

I just use those foam puzzle mats.

Dick’s sporting goods (or probably any sporting goods store) sells rubber flooring meant for use in gyms, but its definitely not cheap. I like the plywood platform idea, but that doesn’t really fit my situation well. I am in the same boat as dylan at the moment, so I am all ears as well.

edit: Just found these – http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2978015&cp=2367453.2368579.2049960.714802&view=all&parentPage=family

For $25 thats not too bad, I may be picking some up soon.

[quote]travis8798 wrote:
Dick’s sporting goods (or probably any sporting goods store) sells rubber flooring meant for use in gyms, but its definitely not cheap. I like the plywood platform idea, but that doesn’t really fit my situation well. I am in the same boat as dylan at the moment, so I am all ears as well.

edit: Just found these – http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2978015&cp=2367453.2368579.2049960.714802&view=all&parentPage=family

For $25 thats not too bad, I may be picking some up soon. [/quote]

I have 2 sets of those in my garage. The only thing I’ve noticed is after deadlifting pretty regularly and using heavy weights, where ever the bar sits with the weights on it that particular section of the foamy rubber stuff gets depressed in a little.

It’s not a huge problem at all, more or less a cosmetic thing I guess.

You can always get 4’x6’ solid rubber mats.
http://www.ironcompany.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2470

My highschool weight room has something similar to this ^^ it’s a lot more durable then the flooring you linked too from dicks, but probably more expensive.

To each his own.

-xb

When I was a poor college student, I used to use the rubber welcome mats. They were about 1/2" thick.

Now, I have 4 of the 4’x6’x3/4" stall mats from the tractor supply store.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:

…or
    [/quote]

You kick ass.

Elitefts sells these:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=2453

It’s basically a 3/4" thick 4’x6’ sheet of rubber flooring cut into 8 pieces. You could stack two per side, and stand on two more, and your floors would be bulletproof. Or you could stack 4 per side and simulate a rack pull.

I have 1/2" flooring in my basement, and I just throw down an extra piece on each side when I’m DL’ing, for a total of 1" thick.

dude that’s awesome that you put holes in your basement.lol. uh i was at a gym one time who had a few sheets of wood laying on top of some tires, it was pretty sweet. but kinda depends on how high your ceiling is in your basement, but if you don’t have the clearence you can always just knock a hole in the ceiling