T Nation

Cheap Way to Make a Floor GHR?

i know it seems ive bombarded this forum today with questions on this, but i just had a thought about a diy ghr floor model. what if you took the thickest pvc you could find, cut it to about 2 feet wide, then drill a hole from one side to the other in the middle of it, slide a medium thickness pvc straight through that hole, then with that pvc going through (so it makes a T), put insulation padding around the thick pvc and then plenty of duck tape.

from here, put a hose clamp over the end of the medium sized pvc that went straight through to keep it from coming out. finally, go all the way back to the other end of the medium sized pvc, put a T connector on it and put 2 small pieces of pvc coming out from it.

now, from here, place it up against a wall. this way, your heels are pressed against the wall, your toes are pressing down on the back end of the pvc where the T connector is, and your knees/quads are resting on the thick insulated pvc portion. you can adjust the length of this ghr by sliding the thick pvc back and fort, and the hose clamp to keep it from moving forward when you go down and up.

the only thing id have to figure out is how to hold my feet down. i guess i could have my wife hold my heels, lol.

does this model make sense? basically it would look like 2 pvc pieces making a cross, 1 super thick with padding and the other skinny to go through it and up against the wall. not tge best, but prob. $30 max amd would be better than a natural ghr.

[quote]mattypyuu wrote:

yeah those could be used too, but i feel just taking the pvc and duct taping it around insulation padding would prove cheaper?

I tried making all kinds of stuff before I sucked it up and bought the Brian Schwab GHR from EFS. I tried a punching bag as the pad, yoga blocks, foam rollers etc. They basically did the exact same thing as someone holding my feet and doing a natural GHR. It was painful, ineffective and after 3 reps I was done. That movement only hit the hams right behind the knee. Forget about glutes and hams at both ends and low back. All those problems were corrected when I bought the real device. YES it fucking sucks that I had to drop $500 bucks for some shit that works. YES I wasn’t / still ain’t happy bout that BUT it’s a necessary evil of the game.

I’ve had it for 5 years ish now. That’s $100 a year / $8.33 a month, $2.08 a week, use it twice a week and it’s Dollar menu fare. I think of it as an investment. YES the upfront cost is high and it’s a shame but this is a specialty piece of equipment, but I have had ZERO regrets.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
I tried making all kinds of stuff before I sucked it up and bought the Brian Schwab GHR from EFS. I tried a punching bag as the pad, yoga blocks, foam rollers etc. They basically did the exact same thing as someone holding my feet and doing a natural GHR. It was painful, ineffective and after 3 reps I was done. That movement only hit the hams right behind the knee. Forget about glutes and hams at both ends and low back. All those problems were corrected when I bought the real device. YES it fucking sucks that I had to drop $500 bucks for some shit that works. YES I wasn’t / still ain’t happy bout that BUT it’s a necessary evil of the game.

I’ve had it for 5 years ish now. That’s $100 a year / $8.33 a month, $2.08 a week, use it twice a week and it’s Dollar menu fare. I think of it as an investment. YES the upfront cost is high and it’s a shame but this is a specialty piece of equipment, but I have had ZERO regrets.
[/quote]
Got mine on Friday; super stoked with it. It’s a solid product and I’m very happy with the purchase thus far. I am a little saddened that I could do a bunch very easily when I first tried. I wanted to get owned when I tried. I played with the knee positioning, but I don’t want my knees up too high so that I can reduce sheering forces. Looks like it’s time for good old fashioned plates behind the head

Glad you like your investment. In case you hadn’t seen this.

Try a chain or two. it doesn’t take much weight to totally change stuff. Draping something across the neck will keep your hands free to help do forced reps or catch you should you not make the rep and face plant. (sadly I’ve done that) lol.

I played around with it some more last night and found that moving my knees up just a bit (but not to the top) increased the difficulty. I was just surprised at how easy they were when the knees were lower on the pad; I guess I was just hoping I would get owned at any position. I’ll have to mess around until I find the sweet spot, but I’m definitely liking them. It’s an easy way to get more glute and ham work at the end of my workouts. For those thinking of getting one, I whole-heartedly recommend it

[quote]METAL VIPER wrote:
I I was just surprised at how easy they were when the knees were lower on the pad; I guess I was just hoping I would get owned at any position. [/quote]

Maybe you just suck less than you thought you would. That’s a good thing, If you look at it like that.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]METAL VIPER wrote:
I I was just surprised at how easy they were when the knees were lower on the pad; I guess I was just hoping I would get owned at any position. [/quote]

Maybe you just suck less than you thought you would. That’s a good thing, If you look at it like that.

[/quote]
I wanted to really suck though, in hopes that improvement would manifest itself in increased pounds on my squat and deadlift. I’m still going to cling to that hope.