Cheap Healthy Food

[quote]TestosterTon wrote:

Hey got_beer, can canned mackarel be bought at any supermarket store?

-ton[/quote]

Yeah, it’s pretty common, I get mine from “Save a Lot”, but I’ve seen it in Acmes and others. Also, for canned fish dollar stores have some suprising deals. This one by me has cans of sardines for 25 cents each. The great thing about these is that they’re pop-tops, so you can have 25 grams of easy-access protein that costs a quarter!

[quote]toocul4u wrote:
TriGWU wrote:
As a college student I know how it works…

Costco… I cannot stress this enough.

Ex:ff on sale man, and plan ahead.
[/quote]

You can get a box of 7.5 dozen eggs for $10.
.99 for a bunch of bananas
etc
etc

@ Costco:

Bag of Veggies
Box of Oranges
Box of Apples
Cottage Cheese
Box of Eggs
Bag of Walnuts
Fish Oil
Bag of Frozen Chicken Breasts

that is a pretty solid start right there.

It may be $5 dollars… I’m not sure… I just stack and pay. ;-\

thanks for the ideas everyone

The main problem is this kid is dirt poor and doesn’t even have a real freezer and only has a baby fridge. I’ll try to get him to start on the basics(not wasting money on empty calories) and improve from there.

As of now his diet is so horrible that if I could prevent him from becoming diabetic it would be an accomplishment.

[quote]toocul4u wrote:
TriGWU wrote:
Ex:

that seems like a lot for eggs? up here in NoDak, eggs are usually about 50 cents a dozen. canned tuna good. bags chicken breast good. canned beans great. buy stuff on sale man, and plan ahead.
[/quote]

umm … phuk yous guys … eggs here in Cali are astronomical … i wanna say around $1.50 to $2 per dozen. i think the grocery store has a 5 dozen pack for about $6 or $7. basically, food is so f*cking expensive that MRPs are as economical or cheaper. add in the ease of use and time savings. half or more of my meals are MRPs or protein powders with oats.

at least real estate is cheap … and no income tax … oh wait, that’s Texas. why again am i here?

BFG

Since I am a college student I can relate to this very well. My best advice is to learn to love oatmeal and Peanut Butter. I agree that natural PB is better than regular but regular is cheaper and last longer. I don’t see a huge difference between the two. It much better than candy, etc. I’ve lived off of these to items for close to four years.

I go to Walmart and buy tuna by the cases at 44 cents a can ( I make the stockers go to the back and get my two full cases in the box so I don’t have to make trips there every other day). Then I go to Sams Club and buy a huge thing of PB at Oatmeal and I am set. You can put your oats in a small plastic bowl and you can find a microwave somewhere on campus. Hey trying to live cheap and healthy isn’t always the best tasting but you have to do what you have to do. I am fornutate enough to have a part-time job at GNC so I can afford to get a few supplements but protein powder is about as far as I go. So those are my big three foods. Oatmeal, tuna, and PB. I think I forget what anything else tastes like.

[quote]got_beer? wrote:
TestosterTon wrote:

Hey got_beer, can canned mackarel be bought at any supermarket store?

-ton

Yeah, it’s pretty common, I get mine from “Save a Lot”, but I’ve seen it in Acmes and others. Also, for canned fish dollar stores have some suprising deals. This one by me has cans of sardines for 25 cents each. The great thing about these is that they’re pop-tops, so you can have 25 grams of easy-access protein that costs a quarter![/quote]

Thanks got_beer. I’ll have to look around cuz down here where I live (culver city/santa monica) the dominating supermarket forces are vons, ralphs, pavilions, and albertsons. I’m just lucky to have a Smart and Final nearby. Ill check that out.

-ton

[quote]BFG wrote:
toocul4u wrote:
TriGWU wrote:
Ex:

that seems like a lot for eggs? up here in NoDak, eggs are usually about 50 cents a dozen. canned tuna good. bags chicken breast good. canned beans great. buy stuff on sale man, and plan ahead.

umm … phuk yous guys … eggs here in Cali are astronomical … i wanna say around $1.50 to $2 per dozen. i think the grocery store has a 5 dozen pack for about $6 or $7. basically, food is so f*cking expensive that MRPs are as economical or cheaper. add in the ease of use and time savings. half or more of my meals are MRPs or protein powders with oats.

at least real estate is cheap … and no income tax … oh wait, that’s Texas. why again am i here?

BFG[/quote]

Haha… yeah seriously. Some foods are easy to get cheap and in bulk, but others aren’t. With the amount of cottage cheese I eat on a weekly basis, I calculated that, gram of protein per gram of protein, buying a tub of Grow! is cheaper than getting the cottage cheese I normally buy.

As for the eggs, you can get them at a dollar a dozen at vons on some days if you have the vonsclub card. I used to buy my eggs at smart and final (which came out to about 99 cents a dozen) but something was just too weird about them (like having holes when boiled) so I stopped.

And actually, most of the foods I get at Vons are, at one time of the month or another, on sale. On most items like (vons brand natural peanut butter, 2% cottage cheese, pineapple, low carb milk hoodies, eggs, chicken breasts at like 87cents a lb.). You save 50% or more with the Vonsclub card. I swear that card is like the holy grail.

-ton

[quote]got_beer? wrote:
In regard to eating canned mackerel:

Sometimes I eat it strait from the can if I’m in a hurry, but I don’t advise this if you’re squeamish about nasty foods. The little mackerels are whole, and they have little back bones that crunch up in your mouth. (mmm…fish bones).

However, if you put some in a bowl, mash it up and mix it with some mayo and seasoning (like all-spice or old-bay) it tastes kind of like tuna salad. After you mash it up the bones and skin just sort of blend in and you can’t notice them.
[/quote]

YUCK! Why don’t you just eat a can of 9 lives, it’s cheaper and probably tastes better. Canned makeral reminds me of this girl I used to know…