Cheap Fish Oil and Mercury

hey guys Im curious if one takes a cheap version of fish oil should he be worried about mercury if it does not state mercury free?

aren’t these sorts of guidelines taken care of under the GMP (good manufacturing practice) label ?

i think if it says molecularly distilled that means basically no mercury.

[quote]ktennies wrote:
i think if it says molecularly distilled that means basically no mercury.[/quote]

im not even sure it says that lol

if it says purified does that mean anything?

[quote]crod266 wrote:
if it says purified does that mean anything?[/quote]

No.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
aren’t these sorts of guidelines taken care of under the GMP (good manufacturing practice) label ?[/quote]

I wouldn’t count on all supplement companies being GMP compliant at this point.

well this blows I guess im buying new fish oil lol

Most cheap fish oil is 12% DHA / 18% EPA and it is molecularly distilled, whether or not the package says so.

There are a few large manufacturers and suppliers, so unless someone was outright miss-labeling something else, it is very likely it is legit unless price is significantly below $6-7 for a bottle of 200, 1000mg caps or $26 for 1000 caps.

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
Most cheap fish oil is 12% DHA / 18% EPA and it is molecularly distilled, whether or not the package says so.

There are a few large manufacturers and suppliers, so unless someone was outright miss-labeling something else, it is very likely it is legit unless price is significantly below $6-7 for a bottle of 200, 1000mg caps or $26 for 1000 caps.[/quote]

Out of curiosity where are you finding 1000caps for 26$ in Canada? Cheapest I’ve ever found was Organika (500caps) but that was still about 25$ and thats at cost, plus I question there products sometimes…

ratm88:

Those are US prices. In Canada, I found 300 capsules of 1000mg at Zellers for $15. It is their store brand, Truly. I doubt that you could get a cheaper price in Canada due to realities of scales of production and the lower retail competition.

Of note, I have seen high quality pomegranate extract at Shoppers Drug Mart on sale for prices lower than I see online in the US. The normal price is not to bad compared to the States, much lower than the double for most products.

I usually buy my supps online and have them shipped to a mailbox I have 400m on the other side of the border. If traffic is heavy, I can walk across and get in a little GPP along the way. Carrying a 50 pound box of Biotest goodies and balancing another 20 pound box atop is harder than a sandbag for sure.

Does anyone know is NOW brand fish oil is crap or not? It’s uber cheap, like 8 bucks for 100.

You could get twice that if you look around. It is fine unless you compare to stuff like Flameout.

You could get twice that if you look around. It is fine unless you compare to stuff like Flameout.[/quote]

thanks for your answer man, yea I usually go into like a rite-aid kidn of place, its kind of just like a drug store or convince store and 2 days ago i found 2 bottles for 10 bucks. it was buy one get one free so i would assume its not crap because if it wasnt buy 1 get 1 free it might be 10 each so…

The English took 100 brands of fish oil at random and tested them. Only 3 had mercury, and the one with the most, you would have to take several thousand capsules per day to get over the amount considered safe.

[quote]Happy Gringo wrote:
The English took 100 brands of fish oil at random and tested them. Only 3 had mercury, and the one with the most, you would have to take several thousand capsules per day to get over the amount considered safe.[/quote]

Ya, that is generally the consensus. The mercury fear mongering seems to come from people selling high concentration extracts and those coaches who cater to clientele who pay hundreds an hour. Fun mercury fact: over half the environmental mercury is due to volcanoes which pretty much makes trace amounts inevitable.

I think that it should be based on a couple factors. First is money for most people. Unless you are spending $500-600 on food and another $200 or so on supplements, you can do a lot more with your money buy purchasing the cheaper options. If you spend this much on food and supplements and don’t get the high end supplements, you have room to improve.

Second, if you particularly need a high DHA to EPA level, then certainly it is worthwhile to purchase an expensive supplement even if it cuts into other purchases as I would classify it as a medical need rather than dietary (intervention vs. prevention).

Third, if you don’t want to swallow many pills or take other supplements, then it could be a good way to get your fish oil, though a liquid would be a better choice.

And finally, for those preparing for a physique competition/photoshoot, it is an excellent way to remove about 10g of fat from your daily intake.

Happy Gringo wrote:
The English took 100 brands of fish oil at random and tested them. Only 3 had mercury, and the one with the most, you would have to take several thousand capsules per day to get over the amount considered safe.

Ya, that is generally the consensus. The mercury fear mongering seems to come from people selling high concentration extracts and those coaches who cater to clientele who pay hundreds an hour. Fun mercury fact: over half the environmental mercury is due to volcanoes which pretty much makes trace amounts inevitable.

I think that it should be based on a couple factors. First is money for most people. Unless you are spending $500-600 on food and another $200 or so on supplements, you can do a lot more with your money buy purchasing the cheaper options.

If you spend this much on food and supplements and don’t get the high end supplements, you have room to improve.

Second, if you particularly need a high DHA to EPA level, then certainly it is worthwhile to purchase an expensive supplement even if it cuts into other purchases as I would classify it as a medical need rather than dietary (intervention vs. prevention).

Third, if you don’t want to swallow many pills or take other supplements, then it could be a good way to get your fish oil, though a liquid would be a better choice.

And finally, for those preparing for a physique competition/photoshoot, it is an excellent way to remove about 10g of fat from your daily intake.[/quote]

So basically your saying I shouldnt worry about it unless its like dirt cheap?

[quote]heavylifter36 wrote:
Does anyone know is NOW brand fish oil is crap or not? It’s uber cheap, like 8 bucks for 100. [/quote]

NOW fish oil is excellent… I’ve been taking them for years.