T Nation

Cheap Diet for a Hard Gainer

I'm loozing for any ideas on cheap a cheap diet to help me gain muscle also any supplements you take along with your diet I currently take c4 with platinum creatine and eat a lot of rice but I seem to stay in the 150 to 155 range no matter what I do I would like to eventually get to 165 170

Maybe can the supps in favour of actual food if you’re struggling with money? Eggs, milk and turkey are reasonably cheap sources of protein. Rice and oats for your carbs. Veggies from the green grocer.

I’ll have a go:

Breakfast: Oats + milk + banana
Lunch: 12 eggs w/mayo and chutney
Dinner: Pork/Lamb shoulder + potato or
Sausages + beans or
Chicken drumsticks and sweet potato or
Nachos

Get veggies however you can.

[quote]tsantos wrote:
I’ll have a go:

Breakfast: Oats + milk + banana
Lunch: 12 eggs w/mayo and chutney
Dinner: Pork/Lamb shoulder + potato or
Sausages + beans or
Chicken drumsticks and sweet potato or
Nachos
How should I eat the eggs hardboiled?

Get veggies however you can.[/quote]

[quote]Airborne88 wrote:
Maybe can the supps in favour of actual food if you’re struggling with money? Eggs, milk and turkey are reasonably cheap sources of protein. Rice and oats for your carbs. Veggies from the green grocer.[/quote]

I was given the c4 by a friend who changed his supplement and was just trying to see what other people use that seems to work

1. Buy things in bulk. Ground beef, pasta, sausages, rice. Learn to cook. Prepare enough for several servings and eat throughout the day.

2. If not lactose intolerant, drink milk.

3. Blend Stuff. Oats, peanut butter, bulk protein powder, olive oil, milk.

You could also probably save your creatine on your training days. There is 1g of creatine in the C4. If you feel that the 1g is not enough you could lower your dosage of the other creatine at least, help it span out longer for sure. I have personally never seen a difference in taking 2g of creatine versus 5g. Then again, I do eat a ton of red meat.

For carbs you cannot lose with rice, oats, and potatoes. That stuff is very affordable.
For protein, eggs, ground beef, tuna in a can, whatever meat that is on sale, chicken, etcetera.
Buy some veggies with it and you’re golden man.

You can make burritos at home for pretty cheap. As well as stir fry and jambalaya type dishes.

Some people might baulk at this, but for awhile I went to Wendy’s and would get three Jr. Cheeseburgers directly after my workout. This costed $3.17 and provided 840 calories, 45g of protein, 39 g of fat, and 75 g of carbs.

It depends largely where you live, but these are normally cheap and give you good nutritional base:

Tons of beans.
Tons of eggs.
tons of fresh vegetables and fruits - cheap on season products.
Poultry.
Rice, Rye, oats.
Vegetables (frozen).
Fish and red meat - cheap frozen or on season products.
Quark and cottage cheese are also cheap sources of protein.

You can also gather mushrooms, berries, and fish with quite little effort if you live somewhere where is forests etc ( Don’t know how easy this is in US).

This is roughly how I eat. .I like cooking and it is not really very hard to make good tasting and nutritional food from cheap ingredients. Just follow sales and seasons.

Only supplements I use are whey, creatine and occasionally fish oil + magnesium. I don’t know are these really important for my training. Creatine and magnesium really seem to help for recovery thought.

[quote]Brandhaha2001 wrote:
also any supplements you take along with your diet I currently take c4 with platinum creatine and eat a lot of rice but I seem to stay in the 150 to 155 range no matter what I do[/quote]

NO SUPPLEMENTS

If it’s a tossup between food and supplements, choose food. Supplements are beep supplemental.

Get enough protein from eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, chicken and whey. Those are cheap. Then, add calories by adding carbs - oats, rice, potatoes. Those are even cheaper. Measure your food or you’ll never know how much you really eat.

I also vote for the fact of dropping the supplements if you have to choose. NO supplement can replace quality food.

[quote]Brandhaha2001 wrote:
How should I eat the eggs hardboiled?
[/quote]

Eat them however you like… I like omelette or scrambled. If it’s lunch, I boil them and make a salad.

You wont build muscle unless you eat enough protein with healthy fats and carbs.
I love steak and fish but there are plenty of cheaper alternatives.

Chicken breast or thighs aren’t that dear and can make up the bulk of your diet by cooking up a large batch with rice ,scrambled eggs and vegetables then storing in containers so you have a good solid lunch each day.

Eggs are cheap and should be eaten everyday. Tins of tuna are an excellent snack. High in protein and good fats.
Eat 2 or 3 pieces of fruit everyday. Doesn’t matter what it is, just do it.

Lamb is relatively cheap so start eating plenty of chops. Forequarter chops are an excellent dish yet very cheap.
Eat vegetables with lunch and dinner. Doesn’t really matter what the veges are, just eat them as they have huge health benefits.

The quickest way to put on weight is to drink milk but I would never advise it as you will get very fat. Still this is what powerlifters do and they make huge weight increases.

As for supplements the main thing will be protein powder. Don’t get the mass gain type as that is full of sugar. Have two protein shakes a day from a source that is high in protein and low in other crap. Creatine is also cheap but I’m not convinced it does too much other then draws in water and makes you freaking sweat a lot. Try it if you like. Some lifters say they get something out of it .

You don’t need any supps in my opinion even protein powder. You are 150lbs bw and wanting to get to 170lbs so 200g of protein is more than enough. If 200g of protein is too hard to get from solid you are not a “hard gainer” you are just an “under eater”. With that being said and not knowing any thing else about you really ill give a very broad and general idea.

Breakfast- 40/80/30/750
4 Eggs
1 cup oats w/splenda
1tbsp peanutbutter
1 banana

Lunch- 40/80/15/615
6oz chicken breast
1/2 cup rice
1 vegetable
1 tbsp oil
What ever seasonings you want.

Dinner- Same as lunch

Before Bed- 36/65/15/539
1 cup of Cottage Cheese
1 cup Oats w/Splenda

On training day 24oz of Low Fat or Fat Free Chocolate Milk adds
24/75/5/440.

So that’s 2520 on off days and 2960 on training days which im going to guess is a lot more than you are used to right off the bat. No supplements and with my guesstimate this is gonna run…

1 5lbs bag of rice- $5
1 canister oats- $3
3 dozen eggs- $7
12lbs of chicken- $25
1 jar Peanutbutter- $3
Vegetables- $6
1 gallon of chocolate milk-$4
3 tubs Cottage Cheese- $7
1 bottle olive oil- $3
Total- $63 little more little less depending on where you live. Not a bad place start.

1. Eggs/banana/toast
  2. chicken/potatoes
  3. 80/20 beef and rice a roni

Use butter as wanted.

If you are a really hard gainer, I wonder… Have you tried the GOMAD diet? Gallon of milk a day (Whole milk). Cheap and effective. But of course eat your normal diet as well, or add some of the other suggestions from others.

also slop olive oil all over your food especialy pre workout meal

+1 for generic peanut butter and cottage cheese. You can also purchase the big, bulk packages of eggs (3-4 dozen); I see them all the time at Wal Mart, as this is the cheapest route to go on those. Generic chicken breasts or volume tubes of ground beef (e.g., 2-3 lbs) are also relatively cheap when purchased in bulk quantities.