Cheap Alternative to Lynx Grips

For anyone that hasn’t seen/thought of this, I thought I would mention it.

We’ve probably all seen/heard of Lynx grips: http://www.lynxpt.com/products/performancegrips.html

Make your own rubberized quick fit grips by just cutting up a bicycle tire inner tube. Someone in my gym had a set of squares that he’d just cut off the inner tube. I took that idea, added the slit for the thumb so they’re easy to keep track of, and the angles by the fingers for ergonomics. Plus, you can make a whole bunch of different shaped ones since one bike tire will provide a whole lot of material. I’ve got a pair of the one pictured, as well as some basic rectangles, plus probably another 2ft of tire to go.

I’ve been through a couple different pairs of gloves, and I think these are going to actually surpass them since the rubber will be a lot “stickier” than the leather or padding on the palm of the glove.

Lynx Grips: $12+shipping for one pair
Bike tire grips: $5 for a whole bunch of pairs.

(My previous how-to: Build your own Stick for $10: Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness )

The actual shape of the left hand grip, if you want to see the outline of it.

Thanks. My hands are pretty calloused up from lifting and pushing around my wheelchair. I have been looking for a less obvious alternative than wearing gloves all the time. These are less noticeable and cheap.

looks like that thumb hole might rip over time. What if you cut it into a circle shape, and lined the hole with black electrician’s tape?

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
looks like that thumb hole might rip over time. What if you cut it into a circle shape, and lined the hole with black electrician’s tape?[/quote]

I thought about a circle/oval shape. The quick slit that I made in there seems to be pretty durable. The thumb hole isn’t under much stress during lifting, its just there to hold the grip on your thumb. If the slit ever does rip (which seems like it will take a while), I’ll probably try the oval shape.

Or just make a new set, since I’ve still got a bunch of the tube left over.

Or do this: punch a hole at the edge of each slit to relieve stress.

I thought the lynx grips were not every expensive to start off with ?