Chasing Records

4.5 ain’t no joke man. I think ppl get caught up too much in seeing pro athlete numbers where 4.3s are fast and 4.4s are getting * slow*. 4.5-4.7s are what the fastest guys ppl know, actually run.

[quote]barbedwired wrote:
4.5 ain’t no joke man. I think ppl get caught up too much in seeing pro athlete numbers where 4.3s are fast and 4.4s are getting * slow*. 4.5-4.7s are what the fastest guys ppl know, actually run.[/quote]

Jerry Rice never broke the 4.7 barrier!

Exactly!

Cleared for all activity

I saw the surgeon today and he officially cleared me for all activity. So obviously I had to go home and get started with rebuilding my squat. It’s just 225lbs for 5 sets of 5 and I already feel sore as shit, but it’s the first step. Here we go.

Squats and Deads

Still working up the deadlift nicely and I just did my 2nd squat session this week. 14 weeks out from the competition. I also just moved to Louisiana so I’m currently gym homeless. Hopefully I’ll find something soon!

Deficit deadlift(385lbs)- 5,5,5,5,5

Squat(245lbs)- 5,5,5,5,5,10
Leg press- 235x6, 255x6, 275x6, 295x6, 315x6

Quads are super sore again haha.

It’s good to hear you’re fully cleared. Looking forward to this comeback.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
It’s good to hear you’re fully cleared. Looking forward to this comeback.[/quote]

Thanks brother. It’s coming along nicely so far.

I got in some bench work yesterday at the new gym I’m going to be training at. My membership will be free because it comes with the apartment complex I’m going to be living at, so that’s cool. The gym doesn’t have too much equipment, but it should have everything I need. Anyway, I don’t have any footage of me from yesterday, but here’s my little sister’s latest deadlift PR. A really hard fought set of 5 with 320lbs. She wasn’t ready to pull this weight for 5 reps yet but she managed to anyway through pure grit.

Bench- 225x3, 245x3, 255x3

Flat feet bench(225)- 8,7,6,5
Chinups(70)- 6,6,5,5,5

Incline press(135)- 10,10,10,10 (haven’t ever done this. it felt soooo weird so I started super light)
Barbell curl(95)- 10,10,8,8

Comeback squats #3

Up to 265lbs for squats this week. They were easy, as they should have been. Going to jump to 285lbs next week. The front of my hip was a little bit sore after this session (I also leg pressed and did stiff leg deads), but it’s starting to be able to tolerate more and more, it’s recovering faster in between sessions, and the stiffness is starting to fade. Overall I’m very pleased with the recovery so far. Just need to stay injury free and not overdo it.

Squat- 265lbs x 5,5,5,5,10
Leg press- 450lbs x 8,8,12
SLDL- 315lbs x 5,5,5

Done.

Deficit Deadlifts 405lbs for 5x5 & a new video

Welpppp finaly got up to 4 plates for my 5x5 on deficit deadlifts. It still felt pretty easy overall to be honest. The only thing that made it feel hard at all was that I basically had forgotten how to deadlift so my bar positioning has been terrible this entire time, but I’ve just been bullying the weight back into position since it’s so light. Luckily, on the 4th set it just clicked finally and my brain was like “ohhh that’s how you keep the bar close to your body the whole way up.” So that’s good. Other than that, I stupidly did some sprints the day after squatting last week and my hip has been yelling at me ever since so it looks like I might be skipping squats this week. Yayyy.

I’ll post the deadlift session when I get a chance, but in the meantime check out my new video. I finally made a bench tutorial! My bench is not impressive which is why I put off making this video for so long, but I’m actually pretty proud of the final product. It’s a bit long but it’s quite thorough. Give it a watch and let me know what you think!

500lbs Deficit Deadlift @ 158

I’m visiting home for a few days and my hip is feeling pretty good so I decided to pull 500 from the deficit board yesterday. It was a bit grindier than I wanted it to be, but I blame the belt. I’m starting to get used to my nice new Inzer belt and when I had to use my old one it just felt like I wasn’t getting anything out of it, and as a result my technique went to shit. Still got the lift, but it gassed me so I cut down on the working sets. My goal is to pull 550 in my December qualifier comp. and then make my way up to 600 at the Arnold.

Deficit Deadlift- 135x5
225x3
315x3
365x2
405x1
455x1
500x1
415 x 5,5,5

GHR- 20,15,15

Done.

Looking strong. Nice progress so far.

Deficit deadlift 425lbs x 5x5 (23 weeks post hip surgery)

Haven’t posted in a few days. I’m just getting settled into my new apartment and I wasn’t able to get the internet set up until today, but I’ve still been training. I pulled 425lbs for 5x5 from the deficit board the other day and squatted 305 for an easy 5x5 last. Gonna go for 325 for 5x5 on squats today and I’ll jump up to 435 for the deadlift this week and probably start to taper the volume a little. I wanna pull 455 for 5 before I remove the deficit. Bench has been meh the last couple weeks.

Deficit deadlift- 425lbs x 5,5,5,5,5
Leg press- 520lbs x 12,10,10 (easy)
Hip abduction/adduction machine- millions of reps

Done.

I’ve been jumping 20lbs each session since I started squatting again. I started with 225 for 5x5 which nearly crippled me I was so sore. Then I did 245, 265, 285, 305, and most recently 325 which finally saw me squatting 3 wheels again for the first time since the surgery. I’m about 8 weeks out from my qualifier now. I plan to jump to 345 and then 365 in the next 2 weeks. After that I’m going to add the wraps back in and jump up to 385. The hip is feeling good. Stiffness is barely there, no movements really hurt at all anymore. I’m starting to get some confidence back finally. I’m looking forward to the next few months.

Back day?

Since I’m only squatting and deadlifting once a week, i’ve decided to break up my upper body work into back days and pressing days. I’m a regular old bodybuilder now. It’s nice, though it keeps my frequency high, which I like, and allows me to put in more volume/focus on pressing exercises or pulling exercises, depending on the day. I had to stop sprinting because 3x a week was too much for the hip to handle at the moment. I hope to be crushing some 40’s and shuttle drills soon though. Anyway, at 8 weeks out from competition, I probably don’t need to be out there sprinting at top speed anyway. My focus now is to just keep gradually upping the weights and drop a couple pounds of body weight so that I don’t have to sit in a scorching hot tub for 6 hours.

Wide grip pullup(bw+80lbs)- 5,5,4,4,4,3 (25 total reps)
Cable face pull(160lbs)- 12,12,12,12,12

I supersetted these first 2 exercises, and then I also supersetted these last 2.

Machine row(215lbs)- 10,10,10,10,10, plus an epic drop set.
Rear delt flye machine(125lbs)- 15,15,15,15,15, plus one more epic drop set.

Solid work.

455lbs Squat @ 158

Squat- 135x5, 225x3, 275x3, 325x2 (add wraps), 375x1, 415x1, 455x1
365x5,5,5,5

Leg curls- a million

I had no intention of using the wraps for anything other than working up to a moderately heavy single today to get an idea of where things were, but once I did that I realized that I needed more practice with them for the competition than the 3-4 weeks I originally thought. It’s so different squatting with the wraps and I was so out of groove when I hit the 455 so I figured I better just go ahead and use them for the last 6-7 sessions until the comp. So in this session I worked up to a pretty easy, but quite unpolished 455 single and then hit 4 sets of with 365 afterward. Finished up with a bunch of leg curls.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with this for several reasons:

This was only my 7th squat session since the surgery, which means this is only the 7th time I’ve squatted in the last 8 months, and prior to this session the most I had squatted since the surgery was only 325lbs.

This was the first time I’ve used the wraps in over 8 months. I didn’t wrap them very tightly today and, I don’t know if you can see it in the video or not, but with the addition of the wraps, I misgrooved almost every single rep, including the 455 single, but I was still able to hit it comfortably.

Breaking in my new Inzer belt has been a cumbersome process and it’s currently loose as hell and not providing much support. I’m literally like 1mm away from cinching the 4th notch but I just can’t get it, so instead I have to wear it super loose in notch 3. Next squat day I’ll have to wear 3 layers and see if that helps.

I had never squatted heavy in this rack before and once I got some weight on the bar I found that I had the pins set a notch too high. As a result I wasn’t able to get the bar nearly as low onto my traps as I wanted to.

I front squatted this weight with a torn labrum about 2 months before my surgery so I’m confident that there is much more to come here. I’m currently 7 weeks out from my qualifier competition for the XPC Finals. From this point on I will continue with my planned, once a week linear progression and won’t squat anymore heavy singles until the competition. I will use these last few sessions to continue to gradually build the weight back up and reaquaint myself with the wraps.

Goodluck man. Looks like your figuring it all out!

Solid work so far.

Thanks guys. I think I might take a crack at 500 in the upcoming competition. I only need 1235 to qualify, so no pressure really.

Got in some bench work yesterday. Not too shabby. I mean my numbers aren’t really going up, but oh well, I’m used to it lol. I plan to cut the accessory work out in the next few weeks and see if that helps me peak for the competition at all.

Bench- 250 x 3,3,3,3,3
Long pause- 230 x 4,4,4,4
Incline- 180 x 6,6,5,5
BB curl- 85x12, 95x10, 105x8, 85x15

The day before this I did heavy snatch grip high pulls, heavy pullups, face pulls, and rear delt flyes, in case anyone thinks I’m skimping on my back work. Back work is actually fun, so I don’t skip it haha.

Other than that, I posted a new video on my channel. It details the escape I method I use when I get pinned by a bench press. I’ve basically been benching by myself for a decade now, so obviously I’ve kept myself alive somehow. Tbh, this information is probably rudimentary for most people here, but I’d appreciate the it if you gave it a view anyway. Besides, you can never revisit the basics too often.

Deadlifts tonight.