Chasing Records

Bench Day

Decent bench session on Monday. Hit 250 for a set of 4. I’m going to keep going for this weight until I can hit it for 5, then I’ll jump to 255. I’m going after it again tonight, and then I’ve got deads on Thursday.

Bench - 250 x 4
Minimal leg drive - 210 x 6,6,6,6,6
Close grip, minimal leg drive - 190 x 6,6,6,7

Face pulls- 10,10,10,10,10
Pullups- 15,15,15,15

Done.

Nice video on SLDLs. I’m curious about your take on block pulls since you don’t seem to do them. They really helped me to develop tightness in my upper body and hips. Do you just get a lot of carryover from squatting and SLDL/RDL?

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Nice video on SLDLs. I’m curious about your take on block pulls since you don’t seem to do them. They really helped me to develop tightness in my upper body and hips. Do you just get a lot of carryover from squatting and SLDL/RDL?[/quote]

Funny you should mention that. That’s actually what my next video is about haha I’ve already got it uploaded on my channel so I’ll probably publish it tomorrow. I have used them before though. I did a shitload of them last summer en route to my 585 pull. I just think most people do them in a way that’s not generally helpful to the deadlift.

Bench work + new video

Hit some more work on the bench yesterday. It wasn’t as good as Monday’s session but it still wasn’t bad. I hit 250 for 4 again, but the 4th rep was way grindier this time. I also added one extra rep to each of the other 2 pressing exercises, but I cut out the 5th set.

Just published my new video also. It’s volume 3 of my assistance work for powerlifting series and I think it’s the best one in the series so far. It runs a little bit longer than the other videos because there was more to talk about, but I’m proud of it and i think it’s worth a watch. Let me know what you think.

Bench- 250x4
Minimal leg drive bench- 210 x 7,7,7,7
Face pull- 10,10,10,10

Close grip bench- 190 x 7,7,7,7
BB Curl- 95 x 10,10,10

Deadlifts later today.

Solid video. I completely agree with the content. I experienced the same thing thinking my lockout was weak and eventually learned to maintain tightness in my torso and hips to overcome the plateau. I normally pull from 3.75" and it was definitely tough getting the lift started until I got used to loading my back, hips and hams. I’m going to give the progressive ROM training a try when I don’t have to focus so much on squat. I might actually try it for squat as well once my hip strength is up to par. Thanks for the video.

Have you tried the progressive ROM training for deadlift? If so, what were the results and how did the training go?

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Solid video. I completely agree with the content. I experienced the same thing thinking my lockout was weak and eventually learned to maintain tightness in my torso and hips to overcome the plateau. I normally pull from 3.75" and it was definitely tough getting the lift started until I got used to loading my back, hips and hams. I’m going to give the progressive ROM training a try when I don’t have to focus so much on squat. I might actually try it for squat as well once my hip strength is up to par. Thanks for the video.

Have you tried the progressive ROM training for deadlift? If so, what were the results and how did the training go?[/quote]

Yeah, I did it last summer when my hip started bothering me and I couldn’t squat. I was pulling 2-3 times a week. I think I was doing twice a week off the blocks and once a week from the floor. PR went from a hitched 575 to a smooth 585, and I’m fairly sure I had 600 in me that day

Power cleans and stiff-legged deads

Here’s video of a couple sessions from last week. The first is power cleans, snatch grip high pulls, and stiff-legged deads. The second is one of my bench sessions.

This past Sunday I did a repeat of the power clean//stiff-legged dead session, but went just a bit heavier. Since the surgery, the heaviest I had gone on the power clean up to this point was 195 for a triple, but I went up to 215 this session and hit a pretty decent triple with it. Once I start to fee comfortable catching the wight again I think I’ll really be able to start pushing the power clean. After that I did deficit stiff-legged deads with 295lbs for 5 sets. These are still quite easy.

Hang PC- 95x5, 135x5, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 215x3

3" deficit SLDL- 295 x 5,5,5,5,8

Monster walks and “X-walks” with resistance band.

I’m really glad to see you are feeling better man! Good work in here

[quote]Alpha wrote:
I’m really glad to see you are feeling better man! Good work in here[/quote]

Thanks brother. I’m looking forward to getting back into the squat rack in just a few more weeks!

215x3 power clean, 40 yd dash, and some benching.

First thing’s first! Here’s the video of last week’s power clean/SLDL session. I went up to 215 for a triple on the power clean and then hit some easy stiff-legged deads off the deficit.

Other than that, I hit a decent bench session on Sunday andddd I ran some 40 yard dash’s yesterday at the park. I’m technically allowed to start “sprinting” again at this point, so I ran somewhat hard yesterday but still not quite all out. I filmed a few of the runs so I’ll time them later to get a better idea of how slow I currently am haha.

Sunday:
Bench- 250 x 4
Bench w/minimal leg drive- 210 x 10,9,8,7,7

Chinup (bw + 70lbs)- 8,8,7,6,6
Face pull- 20,20,20,20

Monday: lots of warming up for the hip, some foam rolling, and some stretching. Then did a few “ramp” up runs, gradually increasing how fast I was sprinting.

40 yard dash- 6 total sprints

That is all.

280lbs Bench Press @ 158

Had a pretty solid bench session the other day. I got so sick of attempting to hit 250 for a set 5 that I decided to just work up to a heavy single instead. I ended up hitting a tough 280 with a slight pause. After that I went into my usual back off work. Deadlifts tomorrow.

Bench- 135x5, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3, 245x2, 265x1, 280x1

Flat foot bench- 215x 8,7,7,6,6
Snatch grip high pull- 205x 5,5,5,5,5

CGBP- 200 x 5,5,5
Curl- 95x15, 95x10, 85x13, 85x12, 75x10

Done.

Good work in here as usual !

On your bench- it appears you have a good amount of arch and good leg drive seems apparent as well .

Are you getting real tight up top , pinching your shoulder blades together ect… ? Beyond that I think technique is on point.

Also going for 250x5 each n every week and not getting it is an equivalent of maxing every week and your sure to stall your strength!

Anyways, I always recommend paused closegrip work , mostly after your reg. Bench session or more uncommonly- on another day. For whatever reason whenever I hammer paused closegrip bench , my strength goes up but not only that… my explosiveness on the reg. Bench.

My method is simple, take about 80 perent of whatever your top weight on reg. Bench was for the day and do it for 2 Amrap sets. Each and every week. It self regulates by :

1. Always being 80 percent of your bench work.

2. Reps will be higher or lower based on how good/bad/tired from already benching - you feel that exact day.

Not saying it’s true for all… but worth a shot. I kinda see it as: the stiff legged deadlift from deficit to the deadlift equivalent. Per say.

Longer range of motion and a deficit ( the pause).

Just a thought man. I’ve seen your grumblings lately about bench not moving and this comes to my mind. Thought I’d share my idea.

I’m currently trying out some paused spoto benching and paused spoto closegrip benching - but I just started and will track how it goes.

[quote]barbedwired wrote:
Good work in here as usual !

On your bench- it appears you have a good amount of arch and good leg drive seems apparent as well .

Are you getting real tight up top , pinching your shoulder blades together ect… ? Beyond that I think technique is on point.

Also going for 250x5 each n every week and not getting it is an equivalent of maxing every week and your sure to stall your strength!

Anyways, I always recommend paused closegrip work , mostly after your reg. Bench session or more uncommonly- on another day. For whatever reason whenever I hammer paused closegrip bench , my strength goes up but not only that… my explosiveness on the reg. Bench.

My method is simple, take about 80 perent of whatever your top weight on reg. Bench was for the day and do it for 2 Amrap sets. Each and every week. It self regulates by :

1. Always being 80 percent of your bench work.

2. Reps will be higher or lower based on how good/bad/tired from already benching - you feel that exact day.

Not saying it’s true for all… but worth a shot. I kinda see it as: the stiff legged deadlift from deficit to the deadlift equivalent. Per say.

Longer range of motion and a deficit ( the pause).

Just a thought man. I’ve seen your grumblings lately about bench not moving and this comes to my mind. Thought I’d share my idea.

I’m currently trying out some paused spoto benching and paused spoto closegrip benching - but I just started and will track how it goes.[/quote]

Thanks for all the tips man. I’ve actually been finishing up all my bench sessions with paused close grip work the last few weeks!

455lbs Deficit Deadlift @ 158

Welp. I did my scheduled deadlift session with 355lbs tonight. Before last week’s session I tested things out with a 405 single off the deficit board. It was easy enough. So today I figured I’d load it up to 455 and see what happens. In terms of technique it was a little rough, but overall it was quite easy all things considered. Now that I had my fun I’ll hold off on doing anything heavy for a while now and just continue my linear progress with my boring 5x5 sets :frowning:

1.5" deficit DL- 135x5, 225x3, 315x3, 365x2, 405x1, 455x1
355x 5,5,5,5,5

This was after a pretty extensive warm up. Other than that I finished up with some band work for the hip. Bench tomorrow, and then I may run some more 40’s on Sunday.

Bench work + new video!

Had decent bench session the other day. Ended up hitting a flat foot bench rep PR with 215lbs along with some heavy hins, and a little bit of close grip benching. Solid work. Just another day in the grind. I didn’t run any 40s this week because the hip was still a little bit too iffy after Friday’s deadlift session. For the sake of longevity, New Alec is conservative. Hopefully I’ll be able to run some next week though. I’m curious to see what my top speed is at the moment.

New video is up also. It’s Volume 4 of my Assistance Work For Powerlifting series. The topic is deficit deadlifts, which I’m usng as my primary deadlifting movement during the first phase of my comeback. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Flat foot bench- 215lbs x 9 (rep PR), 8,7,7,6
Chins(bw + 75)- 6,6,5,5,5

CGBP- 200 x 6,6,6,6
Curls- 95x 10,10,10

Done.

250x5 Bench PR

FINALLLLYYYYY hit 250 for a set of 5 on the bench. I knew I would make it after the 2nd rep but jeez it took a while. Gonna jump up to 255 now. After that I got in some more solid pressing work along with a bunch of pullups. Deadlifts tomorrow and then off to NJ on Friday. I’ll be there for the weekend but I should be able to get in my regular bench session on Saturday, just need to find a gym.

Also, Little Shelly pulled 320 for 4 tonight right after my bench set. Hopefully she can get it for 5 in 2 weeks!

Bench- 250x5
Flat foot bench- 215 x 9,8,7,6,6
CGBP- 200 x 6,6,6,6
Pullups- 100 total

Done.

Alec dude congratz on the 250 bench pr! Also, how’s the hip holding up?

[quote]FarmerOwen wrote:
Alec dude congratz on the 250 bench pr! Also, how’s the hip holding up?[/quote]

Thanks man. It’s not too bad. It just still gets aggravated when I do things and it can’t take very much work yet before getting to that point. The problem is I don’t feel it until the next day, so I just have to be very careful not to overdo it right now in any one session. I never want to go back to where I was before the surgery, and I don’t have the heart to get cut open again.

Sprints and Deadlifts

Still chugging along. The hip is feeling pretty good lately. I feel like I climbed over another hump in terms of recovery so I’m happy about that. I also finally got the extra quarter on the bar for my last deadlift session, I hit 365 for an easy 5x5 from a 1.5" deficit. I’ll be repping 4 plates in no time! Also, over the weekend I went to visit my grandfather in NJ and decided to hit up a a park while I was there to get in some sprints. This was the fastest I’ve attempted to run since the surgery. It still wasn’t full speed, I’ve got another gear or so left in me, but it felt really fucking good to move near top speed. It felt smooth and effortless and all things considered I was moving decently fast. Check out the video and let me know what you think!

3x Body Weight Deficit Deadlift 475lbs @ 158 (18 weeks post hip surgery)

I was feeling pretty good last Thursday and felt the need to pull something heavy so I went and ahead and took a crack at 475 off the deficit board. I knew I would get it, I was just curious to see how it would feel. This was only my 7th deadlift session so far during my comeback and by the looks of it I’ve already got 500+ in me from a deficit in my weaker stance (granted, sumo may no longer be an option for me but whatever haha). So things are looking pretty good so far.

I officially signed up for the qualifier comp. and it’s still 14 weeks away. I can start squatting in a couple weeks. Anddd I’ve got another follow up with the surgeon this coming Tuesday!

Also, got out to the park yesterday with Little Shelly and ran some 40’s. This time I basically ran as fast as I could without going all out. Sliced off another tenth of a second from my times, hit 4.6 pretty much every time. Nice and sore in a good way today. Next week I’ll try going all out for the first time in a loooong time, and hopefully we’ll see some 4.5’s. Stay tuned for the vids.