Chasing Records

Heavy-ish sled dragging

Tested the hip out a bit more tonight with some heavier sled sprints. I also ran a bit “harder” in terms of perceived effort tonight than last time. I did 15 runs of 20 yards in total follows by some glute-ham raises.

50lbs sled- 5 runs
100lbs sled- 4 runs
150lbs sled- 3 runs
200lbs sled- 3 runs

GHR- 20,20,20

Done.

Bench bench bench and chins,

Bench press. Obviously. :confused:
Just worked with 225 today, all reps paused, paired it with weighted chins. Finished with close grip bench and curls.

Bench(225)- 8,6,6,5,5
Chinup(bw+70)- 6,6,6,6,6

Close grip bench(205)- 8,8,8
Barbell curl(85)- 13,12,10

Done.

Benching and sledding

Dragged the sled yesterday and did some benching today. I did 18 total runs with the sled this time, which is the most I’ve done so far in a session, and I sprinted all out on a few of the runs. Hip is feeling pretty good. The pain in the flexor muscles from surgery is going away slowly but surely. Things still arent quite 100% and so my brain doesn’t quiiite fully trust the hip yet! but I can tell it’s coming around. I’ve got 3 more weeks before I begin deadlifting and maybe some light squatting.

6/28
Sled- 50lbs x 5 runs
100lbs x 5 runs
150lbs x 4 runs
200lbs x 4 runs

6/29
Bench- 225, 245, 260
(230) x 7,6,6,5,5

Chinup(bw+70)- 6,5,5,5,5

Close grip bench(205)- 8,7,7,6
Barbell curl(90)- 10,10,10,10

Done.

Power cleans!!!

Tried some hang power cleans yesterday for the first time since the surgery. It felt awkward, but there wasn’t much discomfort. I kept it pretty light and just hit a bunch of triples. My traps are sore as fuuuuck today.

Hang PC- 165lbs x 3
175x3
185x3
165x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

12 triples in total.

New video!

It’s been a few weeks since I’ve released a video, but I just put the new one up this morning. It’s the recipe for my go to protein shake for the last 10 years. I’m sure all you motherfuckers already have your own variation, but go give me hits anyway haha.

Benching and 10 Patty Cheeseburgers.

New video is up. I ate a 10 patty cheeseburger with a side of french fries from Five Guys haha. 4200 calories. It was delicious.

Hit some decent bench work and whatnot yesterday as well. I’m going to try something new for a little bit on the bench. I’m going to do one set with my comp. style for as many reps as possible with like 80-85%. Currently going for 10 reps with 230. But then after that I reduce the weight like 30-40lbs and do 5 sets with no zero leg drive and zero arch. Yesterday’s session went…

Bench- 230x8
No leg bench(195)- 8,8,8,8,8
Chin-up- 70x3, 80x3, 90x3, 100x3, 80x5

Seated press(100)- 10,10,10,10,10
BB Curl(90)-10,10,10,10,10

Done.

Getting goddamn yoked.

Lots of upper body work today. I’m trying to focus on doing a lot pressing volume on both the overhead press and the bench press with no leg drive.

Bench (w/leg drive)- 235 x 6

Bench(no leg drive)- 200 x 8,8,8,8,8 (40 reps)
Chinup(bw + 75lbs)- 5,5,5,5,5,5 (30 reps)

OHP(100)- 12,12,12,12,12 (60 reps)
BB Curl(90)- 12,10,10,10,10

Yeahhhh. Appt. with the surgeon is on Monday. Hopefully I will be cleared to begin. Wish me luck…

Comeback training + new video series

I’m starting a new video series on my channel: assistance work for powerlifting. So each video will cover one exercise that can be used to help boost the squat, bench, or deadlift. I’m probably going to start off with a bunch of exercises for the deadlift first before moving on to one of the other two. The first video covers the Romanian deadlift, check it out and let me know what you think.

In other news, seeing as how I should be cleared to begin deadlifting in 3 days, I decided to give it a little test run to see how it feels. I’m going to begin by running a 5x5 linear progression on the conventional deadlift from a 1.5" deficit. I pulled 315 last night for a single single (see what I did there?) before dropping to 275 for the 5x5. It felt like air. And more importantly, there was no pain.

Squatting will be a longer road I presume because deep hip flexion still bothers the post-surgical pain in the front of my hip, but I think I’m going to be pushing some big deadlift numbers in the next few months.

Deficit DL- 135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 1
275 x 5,5,5,5,5

Slowly but surely from here, friends.

Nice work man. Enjoy your vids. The series sounds like a brilliant idea. Keep em coming!

That burger looks delicious!

[quote]barbedwired wrote:
Nice work man. Enjoy your vids. The series sounds like a brilliant idea. Keep em coming!

That burger looks delicious! [/quote]

Yeah, first half delicious. Then I started getting full haha.

Thanks, man. I’ve got a bunch of ideas so far, I think it should be pretty good.

Cleared for deadlifting!

I saw the surgeon this morning. He said the labral repair should be solid enough by now that I can begin loading it so as long as I don’t flex it too deep…you know what that means: time to deadlift! I see him again in 8 weeks and we both agreed that I will hold off on the squatting until then. I’m ok with that. I’m looking to do RPS Holiday Havok on December 12 to qualify for the XPC Finals at the Arnold next year. I’ll start gradually rebuilding the deadlift for now and regaining my strength and then I’ll add squats back in 8 weeks from now, which still leaves me something like 12 weeks to prepare the squat before the comp. all I need is a 1235 total to qualify for the XPC finals, so I’m thinking something like 440/265/530 @ 148 should be pretty manageable by then. Then I would just attempt to go all out at the Arnold.

Either way, let the comeback commence.

Bench work + Little Shelly pulls 315 x 5

I got in some bench work last night and my little sister hit some big deads. Her cycle is starting to ramp up a bit again. She was working with 315, which is 90% of her current PR of 350. She’ll be ready to blow that away soon though. When we peaked with the 350 her best double was only 325 I think. My goal is to have her triple 350 before we retest.

Bench- 235 x 6

Bench (no leg drive)- 200 x 10,10,9,9,8
Chinup (bw + 75)- 6,6,6,5,5

OHP(105)- 13,13,12,12
BB Curl(95)- 10,10,10
Pull apart- 20,20,20

[quote]ape288 wrote:
Cleared for deadlifting!

I saw the surgeon this morning. He said the labral repair should be solid enough by now that I can begin loading it so as long as I don’t flex it too deep…you know what that means: time to deadlift! I see him again in 8 weeks and we both agreed that I will hold off on the squatting until then. I’m ok with that. I’m looking to do RPS Holiday Havok on December 12 to qualify for the XPC Finals at the Arnold next year. I’ll start gradually rebuilding the deadlift for now and regaining my strength and then I’ll add squats back in 8 weeks from now, which still leaves me something like 12 weeks to prepare the squat before the comp. all I need is a 1235 total to qualify for the XPC finals, so I’m thinking something like 440/265/530 @ 148 should be pretty manageable by then. Then I would just attempt to go all out at the Arnold.

Either way, let the comeback commence.[/quote]

Can’t wait to see this comeback too. Great work coming from you and your sister.
It’

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]ape288 wrote:
Cleared for deadlifting!

Either way, let the comeback commence.[/quote]

Can’t wait to see this comeback too. Great work coming from you and your sister.
It’[/quote]

Thanks brother. Just started my deadlift cycle last night.

Started my comeback deadlift cycle last night with 315lbs from 1.5" deficit. I’ll be deadlifting once a week for now and going up 10lbs each time. Last night’s session went:

315 - 5, 5, 5, 5, 10

After that I did some abduction work with a band and a few step ups with the left leg.

Bench + Stiff-leg deads

Got in a bunch of upper body work yesterday and then hit some high pulls/stiff leg deads today. Going to see how the hip feels tomorrow and see if 2 pulling sessions per week is too much for now or not.

Sat:
Paused Bench- 245 x 4

Pause bench (no leg drive)- 205 x 8,8,7,7
Chinup(bw + 50lbs)- 8,8,8,8

Press- 110 x 11,11,11,11,11
BB Curl - 65x20, 75x15, 85x10, 95x5. Drop set- 95x5, 85x10, 75x10, 65x10 (ow)

Sun:
Snatch grip high pull- 185 x 5,5,5,5,5 (too easy)
Stiff leg deadlift(3 inch deficit)- 275 x 5,5,5,5,5

Done.

New video!

New video is up. Just a quick run down of stiff-legged deadlifts. I plan to utilize these during my comeback, at least during the initial phase until I can squat again. Anyway, check out the video and let me know what you think. I’ve already got volume 3, block pulls, filmed and I’ve started editing it. It’s a little bit longer than the first two videos in the series, but I’m excited about it. I should have it up early next week.

Benching and “sprinting”

Had a pretty decent bench session the other day. Got in some solid heavy reps and then dickloads of volume. Bench is still meh, but oh well. Yesterday I ran some 40 yd dashes. I put sprints in quotes because I was barely running - say like 80% perceived effort - because I’m not supposed to sprint all out for another 3 weeks. I hand timed the runs later and they came out to about 5.5 seconds, which is about what I was shooting for. So not too bad considering how little effort I was actually running with.

Random question: does anyone know if the RPS Holiday Havok meet on Dec. 12 would be a valid qualifier for the 2016 XPC Finals?

Mon:
Bench- 245 x 5
No leg drive bench- 205 x 9,8,8,8,8
Chinup(bw + 75lbs)- 6,6,6,6,6

Press(110)- 12,12,12,12
BB curl- 75 x 15,10,10,10

Tues:
40 yard dash- extensive warm up
3 ramp up runs
5 working runs

Deads tomorrow.

Comeback #2

Here’s yesterday’s deadlift session. I went up to 325 off the deficit board and finished up with some easy RDL’s and band abduction work for my hips. My hamstrings have forgotten what it’s like to work apparently because goddamn they are sore as fuck today. It feels good though. I mean they’re stiff as hell and it’s unenjoyable, but it feels good to know they’re no longer withering away haha.

Deficit DL- 325lbs x 5,5,5,5,10
RDL- 135 x 10,10,10,10
Band stuff- monster walks and X walks - did 5 sets of 10 steps each - felt good.

Bench tomorrow and then I’ll probably do some stiff leg deads on Sunday.

Pulls, pulls, and pulls

Did 3 different kinds of pulls yesterday: hang power cleans, snatch grip high pulls, and deficit stiff-legged deadlifts! I didn’t really go very heavy but the hip is a little agitated today, probably just from the amount of volume I did. So I’m going to take it easy for the next few days and I should be good to go for deadlifts on Thursday.

Hang power clean- 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3, 195x3 (easy, but don’t feel comfortable having to squat at all to catch the barbell so I stopped here)

Snatch grip high pull- 195 x 5,5,5,5,5 (easy too, traps are nice and sore today)

3" deficit stiff-legged DL- 285 x 5,5,5,5,8

Done.