Chasing Records

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]lift206 wrote:
That’s impressive. Good job in coaching her (if you did).[/quote]

Since day 1.[/quote]

Damn that’s elite coaching work right there, haha. Once she breaks 400 she’ll have her eyes on 460+ for the world record in the 132 class.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]lift206 wrote:
That’s impressive. Good job in coaching her (if you did).[/quote]

Since day 1.[/quote]

Damn that’s elite coaching work right there, haha. Once she breaks 400 she’ll have her eyes on 460+ for the world record in the 132 class.[/quote]

Haha fuckin a. That’s a loooong way away I think. But that’d be pretty fucking sweet.

Power cleans / surgery is scheduled

Still getting in some work on the hang power cleans. I did 5 sets with 215 the other day and managed a 5 rep PR on the first set. I’m scheduled to have surgery on my left hip next Wednesday, the 29th, so that gives me about a week to try to hit 225 for 5 before I’m completely out of commission for a few months lol. But at least this gives me a shot at being ready for the Arnold next year. Wish me luck.

Hang PC_ 135,155,175,185,195,205,215,225,235
(215)- 5 (PR), 4,4,3,3

The Most Important Squat Cue

New video is up! It’s all about the cue that, based on what I’ve seen, I believe is the most important one to help people squat huge weights. You may or may not agree, but either way I think this was a pretty good video and I’m proud of it. Let me know what you think.

[quote]ape288 wrote:

New video is up! It’s all about the cue that, based on what I’ve seen, I believe is the most important one to help people squat huge weights. You may or may not agree, but either way I think this was a pretty good video and I’m proud of it. Let me know what you think.[/quote]

Nice video and explanation. I completely agree. It can be argued that this is the best cue for every lift. It sets the body in the most advantageous position for leverages.

The only thing I would disagree with is how easy the cue is to execute. I’ve tried using this cue for the past 8 years and it has finally worked once I was able to use my body correctly. A person has to learn to use all the right muscles to ensure they are getting maximum muscle fiber recruitment in their whole body, which also enables better body/bar control. The internal forces in the body are just as important as the leverages used.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]ape288 wrote:

New video is up! It’s all about the cue that, based on what I’ve seen, I believe is the most important one to help people squat huge weights. You may or may not agree, but either way I think this was a pretty good video and I’m proud of it. Let me know what you think.[/quote]

Nice video and explanation. I completely agree. It can be argued that this is the best cue for every lift. It sets the body in the most advantageous position for leverages.

The only thing I would disagree with is how easy the cue is to execute. I’ve tried using this cue for the past 8 years and it has finally worked once I was able to use my body correctly. A person has to learn to use all the right muscles to ensure they are getting maximum muscle fiber recruitment in their whole body, which also enables better body/bar control. The internal forces in the body are just as important as the leverages used.[/quote]

That’s very true, and a good point. Imo, however, that’s something that should happen organically over time if one focuses on the proper cueing, if that makes sense.

T-minus 8 hours to hip surgery

So I’m having the hip arthroscopy done on my left hip about 8 hours from now. In honor of the fact that I will in a matter of hours be a cripple, I threw together a video of some of my lifts from this final week of training. Nothing special happened, but this will be the first time in many years that multiple weeks will pass without me picking up a barbell. It’s a sad day. Wish me luck guys.

Good luck with surgery and recovery! Just get your arms swole while taking time off, haha.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Good luck with surgery and recovery! Just get your arms swole while taking time off, haha.[/quote]

Thanks brother. I’m gonna try my hand at zero leg drive bench pressing in a week or two haha.

One Week Post Surgery

No lifting obviously, just a quick update. It’s been a week since I had the surgery. I’m still not supposed to walk on it for another week, but I’m starting to feel pretty good. I can move the leg around without much pain, the swelling at the hip flexor is almost gone at this point, and I can lift my leg a few inches off the ground. I’m still tying to avoid actually flexing the hip for the most part, but I’m glad that lifting my foot off the floor doesn’t hurt anymore. I feel better with each passing day and I’m excited to start training seriously again in the next few months.

I had my first post-op appt. yesterday and the surgeon removed the stitches in the 2 incisions. They’re healing up nicely so far. I’m still calling different places, but I think I’m going to start physical therapy in a week or so. I’ll probably just go once a week for 6-8 weeks and take care of the rest on my own.

Once I’m a bit more mobile in the next few days I’m going to start doing some upper body work.

Update: One Week Post Surgery

Hey guys. Just made a quick video update on how things are going one week after the surgery. I’m in pretty good spirits and I’m goddamn excited to be on the road to recovery. Can’t wait to start smashing big weights again!

1st session back: 225 paused bench triple w/zero leg drive

Got back in the gym for the first time since my surgery. I still can’t really walk on the left leg but I can hop around good enough right now that I figured I might as well do some benching and pullups. Obviously I have to let my legs just kind of dangle right now when I bench, which probably isn’t a bad thing for me to work on for a while seeing as how my upper body is so weak haha. Anyway, worked up to a heavy triple on the bench, then did some back off work. After that I cranked out a bunch of pullups.

Bench- 185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 215x3, 225x3
195 x 5, 5, 5

Pullup- 15,15,15,15,15

Done.

Best Body Type For Deadlifting Dominance?

New video is up! All about body proportions and how they affect the joint angles involved in the deadlift. I think it’s a pretty good one, let me know what you think.

Still training upper body.

Hit the bench 3 times this week, no leg drive and not much arch obviously. It’s quite a different movement. I can’t do my else besides these makeshift dumbbell upright rows while standing on one leg, and pull-ups without any additional weight. But,I’m making due for the time being. Tonight’s session wasn’t too bad. Physical therapy for the hip starts Monday.

Bench- 195, 215, 230, 240
(195) x 10, 8, 7, 6

Db upright row(60lb db) - 10,10,10,10 (each arm)

Close grip chin-up- 15,15,12,10,10
Close grip bench(185)- 5,5,5,5

Full Bench Session w/Commentary

Put together a video of one of last week’s lifting sessions. It wasn’t a bad session. My plan right now is to work the bench at least 3x a week. I’ll probably work up to something pretty heavy and then back off into the 80-85% range for a bunch of reps to build volume. Other than that I’m really just doing different variations of pullups and this dumbbell high pull/cheated upright row concoction thing. I can’t do too much else until I regain a bit more use of my left leg.

5 Steps to a Perfect Deadlift

New video is up. After several requests I decided to finally make a tutorial video for the conventional deadlift. It’s a bit rudimentary for most of you guys, but let me know what you think.

Other than that, I’ve just been doing my physical therapy and doing a whole bunch of bench pressing and pullups. The hip is coming along pretty nicely so far. In a few weeks I think I’ll add in some sled dragging and maybe some light deadlifts.

Benching out the ass lately.

Got in some bench work on Monday and Tuesday, along with some curls, pull-ups, and high pull/upright row things while standing on one leg haha. I’m able to put my feet flat on the floor now when I bench, so I can get a small amount of leg drive. But still not very much and not very much arch either. Numbers have gone up a bit over the last few weeks though.

Hip is feeling pretty good for the most part. The pain around my glute and hamstring is gone since the surgery, but the joint is still pretty sore and the pain in my groin is still present. Also the hip flexor is pretty stiff from getting sliced open. Things are looking up though. I have another follow up appt. with the surgeon in a few weeks and hopefully I’ll be able to get cleared for some light deadlifting by then.

Monday:
bench- 185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 215x3, 225x3, 235x3, 245x3, 250x2
205x 8,8,7,7,6

Curls(85lbs)- 10,10,9,9,8
Pull-ups- 20,15,15,15,15

Tuesday:
Bench- 185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 215x3, 225x3, 235x2, 245x2, 255x1
225x7, 205x8, 185x10

High pull upright row thing(115lbs)- 10,10,10,10,10,10

That is all for now.

Nice video on deadlifting. Are you able to walk much yet?

[quote]ape288 wrote:
5 Steps to a Perfect Deadlift

New video is up. After several requests I decided to finally make a tutorial video for the conventional deadlift. It’s a bit rudimentary for most of you guys, but let me know what you think.

Other than that, I’ve just been doing my physical therapy and doing a whole bunch of bench pressing and pullups. The hip is coming along pretty nicely so far. In a few weeks I think I’ll add in some sled dragging and maybe some light deadlifts.[/quote]

you just gained a subscriber! awesome content mate.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Nice video on deadlifting. Are you able to walk much yet?[/quote]

Thanks bro. Yeah, I’m pretty mobile at this point. I don’t need the crutches anymore and it doesn’t brother the hip when I walk, the front of it is still pretty stiff though. I’ve been going to physical therapy twice a week and doing the exercises at home the other days. The rate of recovery is slowing down at this point, but things are still getting better. I’ve got a follow up with the surgeon in a couple weeks and I’m hoping he’ll clear me for some light deadlifting by then!