Chasing Records

Anyone got any ideas?

Got in some ok bench work last night. Nothing spectacular, but that’s just part of the game. Anyway, I’m currently having “writer"s block” and can’t think of any ideas for new videos. Does anybody have any ideas for me? What kinds of videos do you guys like/wanna see?

Bench (paused)- 225x2, 235x2, 245x2, 255x2
235x4, 235x3, 235x3, 235x3, 235x3

face pull- 60 reps

Dips- 100x7, 115x7, 125x7, 135x6.9 (my triceps failed me. I was so close haha)
DB row(160)- 6,6,6,12 (each arm)

[quote]ape288 wrote:
Anyone got any ideas?

Got in some ok bench work last night. Nothing spectacular, but that’s just part of the game. Anyway, I’m currently having “writer"s block” and can’t think of any ideas for new videos. Does anybody have any ideas for me? What kinds of videos do you guys like/wanna see?

Bench (paused)- 225x2, 235x2, 245x2, 255x2
235x4, 235x3, 235x3, 235x3, 235x3

face pull- 60 reps

Dips- 100x7, 115x7, 125x7, 135x6.9 (my triceps failed me. I was so close haha)
DB row(160)- 6,6,6,12 (each arm)[/quote]

What’s your training philosophy for deadlift? Do you just focus on your squat and have front squat work carry over to both? I remember you saying that was your approach before but I didn’t know what’s your take on lower back and hamstring training.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

What’s your training philosophy for deadlift? Do you just focus on your squat and have front squat work carry over to both? I remember you saying that was your approach before but I didn’t know what’s your take on lower back and hamstring training.[/quote]

Yeah, I generally allow the strength from the squat to carry over into the deadlift. This approach is especially effective for the sumo pull. It doesn’t just happen automatically though. So I like to run a couple short deadlift cycles a year, usually like 8 weeks. It tends to blow up during this time period.

I don’t usually do direct work for the lower back or hammies. I love broad jumps though, and those hit the hamstrings pretty good in an explosive way.

The problem is I can’t pull at all right now because of my injury. Not even conventional. So my deadlift is just stuck right now. This is especially frustrating because I pulled 585 in August and I am absolutely itching to break the motherfucking 600 barrier.

Did some fronties last night. Not too bad. Worked up to a PR double with 420lbs and goddamn it was tough. Not really super grindy or anything but supporting all that weight on the front of the shoulders just become fucking exhausting lol Still chasing 450.

FS- barx10
135x3
225x2
275x2
315x1
365x1
405x1
420x2 (PR)
395x2

vertical jumps- 3,3,3,3,3,3,3

Hip is slightly aggravated today, but this is the first time I’ve done a back off set in a squat session since I started squatting again, so it seems as if it’s starting to be able to tolerate slightlyyyy more volume. Hoping this trend continues. Just don’t let me overdo it too soon.

[quote]ape288 wrote:
Yeah, I generally allow the strength from the squat to carry over into the deadlift. This approach is especially effective for the sumo pull. It doesn’t just happen automatically though. So I like to run a couple short deadlift cycles a year, usually like 8 weeks. It tends to blow up during this time period.

I don’t usually do direct work for the lower back or hammies. I love broad jumps though, and those hit the hamstrings pretty good in an explosive way.

The problem is I can’t pull at all right now because of my injury. Not even conventional. So my deadlift is just stuck right now. This is especially frustrating because I pulled 585 in August and I am absolutely itching to break the motherfucking 600 barrier.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I’m currently running Smolov Base for front squat to bring up my quads, back and core. I didn’t want to completely neglect my lower back and hams so I added in some light stiff legged deadlifts. I’ll add in some broad jumps and see how it feels. Seems like a good way to add in work for the hams without extra back work.

Hopefully you can pull heavy again soon. It’s probably just a single training cycle away, lol.

Man nice fronties!

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]ape288 wrote:

The problem is I can’t pull at all right now because of my injury. Not even conventional. So my deadlift is just stuck right now. This is especially frustrating because I pulled 585 in August and I am absolutely itching to break the motherfucking 600 barrier.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I’m currently running Smolov Base for front squat to bring up my quads, back and core. I didn’t want to completely neglect my lower back and hams so I added in some light stiff legged deadlifts. I’ll add in some broad jumps and see how it feels. Seems like a good way to add in work for the hams without extra back work.

Hopefully you can pull heavy again soon. It’s probably just a single training cycle away, lol.[/quote]

Stiff leg deads are great. Shouldn’t interfere with the smolov cycle at all if you don’t go too heavy on them. Especially since you’re front squatting.

As far as not neglecting the lower back/hammies, the exercises you choose to do or not do in that regard should be entirely based on your goals, IMO.

[quote]barbedwired wrote:
Man nice fronties! [/quote]

Thanks man! Hoping for more soon.

450lbs Front Squat @ 157

Did some front squats on Saturday. Yesterday got in some benching and finally for the first time in 5 weeks, was able to do some motherfucking bounding outside. Fucking snow.

Sat: front squat- bar x 10,10
135x5
225x3
275x2
315x1
365x1
405x1
425x1
445x1 (PR+5)
450x1(PR+5)

Cut it a little high, but it wasn’t even all that hard to be honest. I’m pretty happy with it. The hip also withstood 3 heavy singles on Saturday, which is good.

Based on my approximations, my front squat usually hangs out around 85% of my back squat. So in theory if I can front squat 467lbs, then once I start training my back squat again I should be good for 550 after some practice. Thus, my new goal is to work the front squat up to 475lbs before switching back. This is over triple bodyweight and should also mean I’ll be strong enough to back squat 550. We’ll see!

Sun: 2-legged bounding- I did 5 jumps at a time in series of 3, escalating the intensity each time. I did 8 total series which means I did 120 total jumps haha. I got carried away. I hadn’t jumped in weeks. Today I’m obviously pretty sore, but oh well. Only like 5 of the sets were done “all out.”

The best I managed was only 48’3". My personal best is 50’. So it looks like I’ve got some work to do.

Bench- 225x3, 235x3, 245x3, 255x2, 265x1
240x3,3,3
230x4,4,4

Face pull- 80 total reps

Dips- 90x10, 110x8, 125x6, 140x5, 160x2

Done.

Still recovering - light power cleans

Took it easy today. My entire body is sore from the over abundance of jumps I did yesterday, so I just did some light power cleans. Tomorrow I’ve got some upper body work and then Wednesday is front squats. It’s always tough I follow a pr session, but we’ll see how things go!

Hang power clean- 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 165x5, 175x5, 185x3, 195x3, 205x3
185x3, 190x3, 195x3, 200x3

Done.

Right on dude you killed that 450! Congratz!

[quote]FarmerOwen wrote:
Right on dude you killed that 450! Congratz![/quote]

Thanks, brother.

430X2 Front Squat PR @ 156

It’s raining motherfucking front squat PR’s. This may have been the ugliest double in the history of doubles, but it’s a PR so IDGAF. However, the video shall be kept under wraps until its done a bit cleaner.

Hip gets 3 days off, and then it’s back to more fronties on Saturday.

Hang power clean- 95x5, 135x5, 155x3, 175x2 - I couldn’t even do these today so I stopped here. My traps are so sore from yesterday they just started cramping on me so I stopped.

Front squat- bar x 10
135x5
225x3
275x2
315x1
365x1
410x1
430x2 (PR+10)

Finished up with some stretching, hypers, and some band external rotations for the hip.

Upper body volume work

Just dips and pullups. Added a 45lb plate to the dips to make them more equal to the pullups. I can’t remember how many reps I did in each set, anywhere from 10-20, but I did 9 sets of dips and 10 sets of pullups in like 45 minutes.

Totals were: 131 dips, 130 pullups.

Pump was huuuuuge. Needless to say, I felt jacked as fuck for about an hour.

Cutting Weight

Seems to be a subject people are interested in so I made a video. Let me know what you think!

Good video and nice PRs! I’ll be waiting for the new one on same day weigh-in.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Good video and nice PRs! I’ll be waiting for the new one on same day weigh-in.[/quote]

I wanna finish this series first so it’ll be a couple weeks before I get to the same day weigh in video, but it’s coming!

455lbs front squat PR + bounding PR

The front squat PR’s are still going. I finally got to put that extra quarter on the bar yesterday for 455. Sadly, I cut the rep about 2 inches high, but honestly that shit was easy as hell. My upper back is getting strong. I’m pretty excited to see how all this translates into back squats when I go back. But for now I’m going to continue with the fronties. I’ll do a lighter session on Tuesday or Wednesday, and then if I’m feeling good next Saturday I’ll take a crack at 460 or 465. Hopefully I’ll take it to depth =P

Also smoked my best set of those 2-leg bounds I like to do. I got 50’5" over a set of 5 jumps. Previous PR was 50’ even. Kangaroo hops are coming back!

2-leg bound: 5/5/5, 5/5/5, 5/5/5, 5/5/5, 5/5/5, 5/5/5 - 90 total jumps, but only like 4 of those sets were done all out. Felt good.
Front squat: 135x5, 225x3, 275x2, 315x1, 365x1, 405x1, 430x1, 455x1

Would’ve gone for more but had to call the session due to time constraints.

In. Strong stuff here.

[quote]MaazerSmiit wrote:
In. Strong stuff here.[/quote]

What up man. Thanks for checking out the log.