Charly Says... Must Train Harder!

Hi all :slight_smile:

Well I have been reading T-Nation articles for about, oh, 18mths now…and today finally read some of your training logs…and feel both humbled (read: slack) and inspired at that same time! I’ve been lifting for about 5 yrs now, but mainly for general health. Def not going to be pulling 140kg DLs any time soon (let’s be honest, ever), however this year I am keen to up my numbers and see some real gains.

Stats…
Height: 173cm
Weight: 53kg
BF%: 20% (as of Nov 2010)

Focus for 2011:

• consistency (my biggest failing)
  • drop several % BF
  • be able to do more than 1 pullup at a time!
  • improvements in numbers on squat and DL (bench not so much due to injury issues)

Bit unfocused with my training right now. Usually I hit the gym with a plan, but last night I was restless and not sure whether I cbf working out…and ended up going w/o a plan and did the following:

front squat 4 x 8 x 20kg
DL 4 x 6 x 35kg
bench 3 x 10 x 20kg
step ups 3 x 4 ea side x 25kg
assisted pullup 2 x 6 @ L6 (no idea what kg that is, but the machine goes from L20 easiest to L1 hardest).
HIIT: 8 x 1min run/walk.

As you can see, my numbers are pretty low and I tend to do too high reps. I work out at a normal gym, no training partner or coach. And I also do some dance, kettlebells, running, yoga to mix things up.

Anyway, any suggestions now or any time are more than welcome!

Here’s to some improvements in 2011 :slight_smile:

First in!
my work here is done.

Oh and wellcome to PW

First man to make his mark.

On your goals, don’t be so vague or open-ended. Set small goals and big ones. Throw some numbers in there. That’ll be a good start. And I’ll be the first to say this: Pics, or it didn’t happen! Welcome!

PW can be a humbling place, but very motivating for the same reasons!
Welcome!

Welcome. I certainly wouldn’t worry about dropping fat at this point - at 53kg you are very light for your height (for imperial Americans, she’s 117lbs at 5’8"). I’d concentrate on adding muscle and rehabbing your injuries. Good luck.

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
First man to make his mark.

On your goals, don’t be so vague or open-ended. Set small goals and big ones. Throw some numbers in there. That’ll be a good start. And I’ll be the first to say this: Pics, or it didn’t happen! Welcome![/quote]

beast, you’re not 'sposed to pee on the new people!

cal- imperial americans. i see what you did there.

charly- explanations are cool, excuses are not. whatever you do, be passionate about it. don’t be boring. show up with a sense of humor.

that is all, for now.

Hi and welcome.

Hi!

Specific goals x2.

My main motivation for getting to the gym is seeing what I can do today that I couldn’t do yesterday.

Got totally addicted to the rush of improved performance (and this endorphin rush or something I get from lifting close to my max) and never looked back.

Training partners can be a mixed blessing, I think… If 2 people with internal motivation train together great things can come of it. If 2 people train together in the hope that the other will motivate them, then a lot of pissing around can result.

Welcome :slight_smile: