Charles Staley, RE: EDT

Charles,

Thanks for getting back to me. Your article that I posted about just seemed confusing. You introduced it with the three core movements PER W/O with 2 PR zones alternating, three W/O per week. But, when I studied the example you laid out at the end of the article, you had three core movements PER WEEK (1 per W/O) and 3 PR zones alternating?! The example was easy to follow, but I hesistated just because I wanted to clarify exactly what the design is supposed to be.

Thanks Charles!

TopSirloin

Top, not to be difficult, but would you please post the link to the article so I know what you’re rerring to? I’ve done several articles on EDT

Thanks

[quote]TopSirloin wrote:
Charles,

Thanks for getting back to me. Your article that I posted about just seemed confusing. You introduced it with the three core movements PER W/O with 2 PR zones alternating, three W/O per week. But, when I studied the example you laid out at the end of the article, you had three core movements PER WEEK (1 per W/O) and 3 PR zones alternating?! The example was easy to follow, but I hesistated just because I wanted to clarify exactly what the design is supposed to be.

Thanks Charles!

TopSirloin[/quote]

Charles-

Here is the link:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459309

Specifically… from the intro of this program, it appears you are prescribing in each W/O: three 15 minute PR zones for the core exercises, alternated with two circuits also about 15 minutes. However, your example reflects only one core movement (versus three) and using three circuits (versus two), per W/O?!

Also, concerning loading parameters, you mention core movements are to be progressively warmed-up, until we reach 80-90% of our 1RM, then we enter a 15 min PR zone of singles… okay, I got that. On the circuits though, you mention that we should start off with our 10RM, but then the sets and reps are not structured?

I think I am missing something here…

I really appreciate your help, Charles!

TopSirloin

The core exercises are rotated, one per workout. Same with circuits. So each workout you do one core and once circuit/

Hope that helps

[quote]TopSirloin wrote:
Charles-

Here is the link:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459309

Specifically… from the intro of this program, it appears you are prescribing in each W/O: three 15 minute PR zones for the core exercises, alternated with two circuits also about 15 minutes. However, your example reflects only one core movement (versus three) and using three circuits (versus two), per W/O?!

Also, concerning loading parameters, you mention core movements are to be progressively warmed-up, until we reach 80-90% of our 1RM, then we enter a 15 min PR zone of singles… okay, I got that. On the circuits though, you mention that we should start off with our 10RM, but then the sets and reps are not structured?

I think I am missing something here…

I really appreciate your help, Charles!

TopSirloin[/quote]

I sincerely appreciate the feedback coach! I will just follow that detailed example you have included in that article. But, could I still use more direction on the set/rep scheme on the circuits. You just mention that a trainee can do more sets/reps while the weight is lighter with less recovery time. Okay… When weight increase recovery time will increase, but where about should the sets and reps be??? How about total volume??? I would be concerned with over-training with this workout, because the volume could be quite high when sets and reps are not kept in check. What would you suggest???

THANKS!

TopSirloin

Top, please revisit the section called “Loading parameters for the circuits” I use EDT loading for those.

[quote]TopSirloin wrote:
I sincerely appreciate the feedback coach! I will just follow that detailed example you have included in that article. But, could I still use more direction on the set/rep scheme on the circuits. You just mention that a trainee can do more sets/reps while the weight is lighter with less recovery time. Okay… When weight increase recovery time will increase, but where about should the sets and reps be??? How about total volume??? I would be concerned with over-training with this workout, because the volume could be quite high when sets and reps are not kept in check. What would you suggest???

THANKS!

TopSirloin[/quote]

Charles, I think I’m starting to get the idea. You want to maximize volume/per time alloted. Therefore each trainee will be at different levels of fatigue based on the fiber type and current conditioning. I guess I’m so used to concrete rest periods that this really throws me for a loop! Sorry to keep nagging you about it.

As for the workout structure you are alternating phases ABA then BAB per week. I still think the intro wording is confusing as heck, because you said to do 3 core lifts in each “workout”, but I think you meant to say 3 per “week” or “microcycle”.

In any event, I will be hitting it Jan 3rd as I also go on a hypocaloric diet. I’ll let you know what I think of it.

Take care, Coach,

TopSirloin

[quote]TopSirloin wrote:
As for the workout structure you are alternating phases ABA then BAB per week. I still think the intro wording is confusing as heck, because you said to do 3 core lifts in each “workout”, but I think you meant to say 3 per “week” or “microcycle”.
TopSirloin[/quote]

Just to clear things up, he did not say (in the article) to do 3 core lifts each workout. To clarify, here are the exact words as seen in article:

[quote]Staley
Each workout consists of a “core” exercise, and a circuit. You’ll use three core exercises and two circuits. It’s actually pretty simple:
Staley[/quote]

So what he said was each workout you do one core and one circuit. All in all, you’ll use three core exercises and two circuits.

If this has no relevance, then sorry, but I’m a sucker for correcting stuff.

I appreciate the help!!! I don’t know why I’m having so much trouble with this program… still trying to figure out the sets and reps on the antagonistic PR zone! I know I start with my 10RM, but them what??? Just do sets of 5 until I can’t do anymore?! I just have never heard of a workout with no structure sets/reps and rest. I love variety, but I just don’t know where to start.

And, as far as the program goes, let me guess, a circuit isn’t the same as a PR zone??? I thought each PR zone was its own circuit, but I think he is trying to say all the PR zones are one circuit as a whole for that day?!

I can’t believe I’d be the only one totally confused by this workout. I am usually pretty sharp being an engineer and business owner, but I guess I have met my match!