Charles Poliquin

Saying that would be good to have him doing articles/Q&A here again from time to time

[quote]zapata1 wrote:
I remember when he said you should take like 20 g of fish oil a day to. His own blend of course.

But Im a huge cardinals and ohio state fan and remember hearing about when poliquin trained David Boston and he had him taking like 80+ pills a day, eating separately from the team in a locked room, daily colonoscopies between practices in his hotel room (boston would do this himself), and he was paying him like 200k + a year for his service. He went from 210 to like 260 with 5% body fat “naturally”. Just the most absurd things in training but it worked for 2 seasons.
[/quote]

Well, I threw ten bucks down for this thing. It looks like 6 months of hell. Lots of ideas that should carry over into full body training.

Poliquin reminds me of Linus Pauling. He’s obviously done some good in the training world, but the quotes brick posted show just how bat-shit crazy he can be as well.

I just remembered that Charles frequently claims that after six weeks of passive stretching you reach your genetic limit. Yeah tell that to millions of yoga practicioners. Makes me wonder if he realizes how absurb some of his statements really are and is doing it to get publicity.

A broken clock is right twice a day, if you spew enough garbage you’ll be right a couple of times.

His cluster training is dynamite by the way.

In all the criticism of Poliquin, I’ve never heard of someone saying they hired him, did everything he told them to do, and didn’t get any results.

If you have an unlimited budget, and unlimited training/recovery time, so you can do magnesium IVs whenever and have a guy following you around…

Can you really do better than writing Poliquin a check and doing everything he tells you to?

That said, I’ve never done one of his programs, mostly because I do not fit the above criteria.

I asked what the problem with Poliquin is and you guys pointed out his nutrition ideas and I see why now. But like I said, I read a lot of his articles on training and when it comes to that, he’s pretty fucking good, so how about we agree to take his nutrition ideas with a big grain of salt and say his training ideas are actually very good.

[quote]JoinInTheChant wrote:
In all the criticism of Poliquin, I’ve never heard of someone saying they hired him, did everything he told them to do, and didn’t get any results.

If you have an unlimited budget, and unlimited training/recovery time, so you can do magnesium IVs whenever and have a guy following you around…

Can you really do better than writing Poliquin a check and doing everything he tells you to?

That said, I’ve never done one of his programs, mostly because I do not fit the above criteria.[/quote]

I have. I went through a Poliquin stage for a few years. My guess is a lot of lifters have over the years. Some of the programs aren’t quite realistic if you train in a busy gym as he loves supersets, giant sets, cluster sets etc… You just can’t tie up that much equipment in a busy gym.

Having said that I got a lot out of his theories and methods. His book Modern Trends In Strength Training is brilliant and I would recommenced it to any serious trainer.

On the down side I got injured a lot training his way. He rarely ever bothers with methods that avoid injuries. This surprised me as he trains athletes. Getting injured would be devastating to an elite athlete. Compare his methods to Eric Cressey for example.

His views on tempo training seems to be rubbish in my opinion but it’s a major staple in his teachings. Al this 4 second eccentric stuff is rubbish but he swears by it. He even talks about 30 second eccentrics on weighted dips. It will give you DOMS for days but that’s about all.

I still read pretty much everything he writes though. He is very delusional but he also does give some solid information. I guess you need to have a Poliquin filter when reading lots of Charles.

Poliquin opened a jar of peanut butter for me once when I was big, unfunctional and had trouble walking up a flight of stairs. I will always remember his kindness.

CP: “As possible evidence, the leg press is the exercise of choice when it comes to speed skating, and I’ve personally worked with speed skaters whose legs made Tom Platz’s look like Woody Allen’s. While I’m loathe to recommend leg presses instead of squats, I merely present it as an interesting discussion point.”"

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
CP: “As possible evidence, the leg press is the exercise of choice when it comes to speed skating, and I’ve personally worked with speed skaters whose legs made Tom Platz’s look like Woody Allen’s. While I’m loathe to recommend leg presses instead of squats, I merely present it as an interesting discussion point.”"[/quote]

When it comes to speed skating… he’s not saying leg press is better than squats period…

I find hos biggest detractors simply fail to understand hyperbole. OF COURSE he is 100% serious when he says a speed skater makes Platz look like Woody Allen.

FFS

[quote]mutantcolors wrote:
I find hos biggest detractors simply fail to understand hyperbole. OF COURSE he is 100% serious when he says a speed skater makes Platz look like Woody Allen.

FFS[/quote]

That’s not a big deal usually, but honestly in the fitness industry, isn’t there already enough ‘Gain 30 lbs of LBM with this supplement’ or '20 pounds on your bench in 3 days with this one weird trick!"

That hyperbole is already rampant in the industry, so the fact someone as accomplished as him is still doing that shit is where he gets criticism I think.

I guess I have a weakness for writing with a sense of humor. I think Tony Gentilcore is fucking hilarious and that’s half his bag, blown out analogies that are obviously a joke.

If you think some of those quotes Poliquin drops make him a joker, it’s probably you that’s the joker.

How’s about that ridiculous comment about water being the overlooked nutrient and the stupid suggestion that athletes should be drinking at least half a gallon of watera day.

What an idiot.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
How’s about that ridiculous comment about water being the overlooked nutrient and the stupid suggestion that athletes should be drinking at least half a gallon of watera day.

What an idiot. [/quote]

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. I think we might need sarcasm tags.