T Nation

Charles Poliquin


#1

anyone check out Poliquin's newest book on arm training?
I just started the program today. Definitely won't be lifting very heavy weights doing EZ bar reverse curls that's for sure.


#2

That must be his third book specifically on Arm training.
He sure does love arms.


#3

I think it’s more that he understands what sells.

Haven’t read the book but I’ve done some of his stuff. It tends to be on the brutal side, if you can even hit his rep ranges and/or complete a full routine to the letter.


#4

it’s fashionable these days to hate on Poliquin for some reason, like Tom Cruise or ginger people.

I’ve always liked his ideas, although some of his supplement and nutrition recommendations have been a bit wild.

Still, dude’s no spring chicken and still looks like he could put his fist through the door of a bank vault so he must know a thing or two.


#5

What’s the basic gist of what he says in the book? I’m definitely gonna get it eventually.

I came upon his website (not supposed to link?) a few weeks ago and I gotta say, I was impressed. Dude knows his shit… I went through half of his articles on hypertrophy/strength and there’s some very useful info.

Why don’t some people like him?


#6

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:
Why don’t some people like him?[/quote]

he went a bit insane with his supplement dosing recommendations (40g of BCAAs and shit like that) at the same time he happened to start his own line of supplements which lost him a little credibility. Made some pretty outrageous claims about the anabolic power of mango, too (not kidding, google it).

I dunno, I always thought he was pretty cool. Some shit he comes out with is pretty wild but he’s always been ahead of the curve in his training recommendations so I would give his shit a try even if on paper it sounded a little fruity


#7

I remember when he said you should take like 20 g of fish oil a day to. His own blend of course.

But Im a huge cardinals and ohio state fan and remember hearing about when poliquin trained David Boston and he had him taking like 80+ pills a day, eating separately from the team in a locked room, daily colonoscopies between practices in his hotel room (boston would do this himself), and he was paying him like 200k + a year for his service. He went from 210 to like 260 with 5% body fat “naturally”. Just the most absurd things in training but it worked for 2 seasons.

And one of the reasons, if i remember correctly, he loves arm training because when he talks to people its arms that he claims give him instant respect. When he flexes they pay attention to what he says more.


#8

Charles loves training arms.


#9

I read a comment on one of his Youtube videos once, that said “you can’t argue with those biceps.”

And well…see previous post.


#10

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

I came upon his website (not supposed to link?) a few weeks ago and I gotta say, I was impressed. Dude knows his shit… I went through half of his articles on hypertrophy/strength and there’s some very useful info.
[/quote]

Yeah there is. It definitely doesn’t have the crazy like a lot of his previous articles or claims. His guest articles are usually pretty good too. The website looks like (and occasionally reads like) a click bait site, but there’s good perspective on there.

Wouldn’t mind hearing more opinions on the book if anyone else has it. Is there a lot of insight that can’t be found on articles throughout the web? I think arm training is actually one of the things I am least knowledgeable about in regards to training.


#11

He also once said “people who count calories are absolute morons” and that eating infrequently (say, 2 to 3 meals) causes diabetes and that he can prove it scientifically.


#12

Poliquin: “A guy I knew once, who worked for a national ski team, would do 23 single-arm pull-ups off the end of a diving board in an empty swimming pool.”

I also knew a bodyguard who could do a controlled, one-arm, one-finger pull-up, 30 seconds up, 30 seconds down. That guy was, not surprisingly, also a great mountain climber."


#13

Charles Poliquin: “Any time you have a brain disorder (dyslexia, down syndrome, ADD, ADHD) you need to take omega-3 and carnitine. I’ve had at least three students who had autistic children who were in special schools and they put their kids on omega-3s and their kids returned to mainstream schools. Two out of three of these autistic kids were measuring IQ at genius levels from high doese omega-3s.”


#14

Charles Poliquin: "I realize how anabolic food is every time I go teach in the Dominican Republic. Last time I taught a Biosignature Modulation course in the DR, the students took my body fat Monday morning. I was at 8% and weighed 198 pounds.

Now, there’s no such thing as grain-fed in the DR; they can’t afford it, so cows eat grass. And if you eat a mango over there you have to eat it over a sink because it’s so juicy. The eggs too are far more anabolic. They’re orange and full of omega-3s, like all eggs naturally were thousands of years ago.

Anyway, five days later, after eating only Dominican Republic foods, I weighed 209 at 6% body fat. My business partner came to finish the seminar, took one look at me and said, “What happened to you?!”


#15

Charles Poliquin: “No one should be eating gluten–that’s no gluten whatsoever in the diet. Are we clear?”

"There is no such thing as healthy tuna. All tuna has toxic levels of mercury. The French word for tuna is “la poubelle de la mer,” which means “the garbage can of the sea.”


#16

Sometimes I mess up and miss a meal. After like 9-10 hours without eating I start feeling less than great. At this point I wonder if I am giving myself diabetes.

Or if you have a hang over, and don’t eat until like 2 the next afternoon. Your blood sugar is all to hell from drinking, is that giving me diabetes?


#17

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
Sometimes I mess up and miss a meal. After like 9-10 hours without eating I start feeling less than great. At this point I wonder if I am giving myself diabetes.

Or if you have a hang over, and don’t eat until like 2 the next afternoon. Your blood sugar is all to hell from drinking, is that giving me diabetes?[/quote]

no.


#18

Awesome! Medical advice I wanted to hear, and you didn’t try to get me on any medications!


#19

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

Wouldn’t mind hearing more opinions on the book if anyone else has it. Is there a lot of insight that can’t be found on articles throughout the web? I think arm training is actually one of the things I am least knowledgeable about in regards to training.[/quote]

I’m sure if you browsed his previous writings and posts on his strengthsensei site you could put together a pretty good arm program on your own. Basically its supersets with prescribed tempos. Nothing too revolutionary but its nice to have a program to follow for $10 I figured it’d be worth a try.


#20

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Poliquin: “A guy I knew once, who worked for a national ski team, would do 23 single-arm pull-ups off the end of a diving board in an empty swimming pool.”

I also knew a bodyguard who could do a controlled, one-arm, one-finger pull-up, 30 seconds up, 30 seconds down. That guy was, not surprisingly, also a great mountain climber." [/quote]

Wasn’t he also training a female skier with legs as good as/better than Tom Platz :slight_smile: