Charles Darwin Film 'Too Controversial for Religious America'

[quote]funmetal wrote:
To believe in a theory whatsoever is called dogmatism. Whenever you shut your eyes and ears for other possibilities you are dogmatic about that view.

Darwin’s theory is just that - a theory. It is there as an explanation to events and scientific findings until it is proven faulty or is replaced.

I don’t believe in Darwinism because I think it has some missing links and points that just don’t add up. But I don’t have a better answer.

Don’ get me wrong here…

I don’t believe in a God creating us as there is no scientific reasoning, since you cannot refute the existence of an “outer-existence” being.

funmetal - the unbeliever[/quote]

It’s weird being a Christian that has no problem with the theory, bumping into an agnostic/atheists who does.

the real and true answers are in the holy bible.Plan and simply ,it has change the thoughts of many great non belivers.People dont make it so difficult just have faith that GOD created everthing and his son jesus died for us on the cross for our sins and that he would give us everlasting life in heaven.THATS AWESOME.No worrys for me my faith is strong.

If you just take the time and read the bible you will see how accurate it is, the bible does not lie.for the ones that dont belive i pray one day you will understand and i will still love all of you no matter what.I used to think and not understand how it all worked and i was left thinking at night this is my only life once im dead thats it.Now when i go to sleep i know when the time comes were im going.Faith and accepting God is amazing,he gives you peace within .Its hard to explain i just pray that you will give it a shot, what do you have to lose.

[quote]thomasc83 wrote:
Do I believe that homo-sapiens and animals adapt to their surroundings? Yes! I also believe that we will tweak our own genetics after years of adaptation. But in no way do I believe in Darwinism. Darwinism is almost like a cult religion.

Sure, it’s THEORY with some possible proof, but so is the existence of bigfoot, and other mythical creatures that cannot be proven. We don’t have the transitional fossils to back it up. There would be in-between species out there right now that are currently evolving. I find the claim that some little creature crawled up on land and spawned everything from hippos to tigers to ants hilarious… [/quote]

I gotta get in on this before it gets out of hand…

In order to be classified as a scientific theory, there must be exhaustive evidence that supports your hypothesis and can be validated by others. It is NOT simply an idea.

Theory in science is not the same as, “hey man, I have a theory (idea) about why my belly button lint is always blue”! Now, you may be on to something with your idea, but it will never be accepted as Scientific Theory until you find a ton of evidence to support it and your friends (and enemies) pick apart your evidence and find it sound.

And…BTW, there appears to be “transitional” species out there right now that ARE currently evolving…Rhagoletis pomonella aka the apple maggot is a nice example. Speciation events are not always as cut and dried as one might surmise.

Today’s molecular biological techniques are also yielding more and more evidence to support evolution because now we can see changes in genes over time and across species.

This is not about belief.

Carry on…

[EDIT] Damn, I gotta learn how to type faster.

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:
anonym wrote:
Dre the Hatchet wrote:
Isn’t that the same guy who also does voice-overs for 9/11-truth theories and the like? Maybe that’s why it didn’t get a whole lot of intention…

All of the guys videos have to do with CvE. Even ones where he personally answers questions about his videos.

So, while I have never seen a 9/11-truth video, I would guess you are wrong. Try again. This time, focus on the information presented.

To my knowledge he did do Zeitgeist, which is one of those conspiracy-nut videos. The “information” was presented in the exact kind of way as in conspiracy theories.

I especially loved how only the most ignarant fools get pulled aside on NYC streets and state fairs to comment on it. The video is a piss-poor, clearly biased piece of propaganda. Unfortunately, some creationists tend to produce bullshit propaganda of the same kind which gives all independent thinkers in that department a bad rap.[/quote]

I haven’t seen Zeitgest fully, I just looked up portions of it on youtube.

The narrator in that movie and this guy don’t sound the same to my ear.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Please elaborate on “darwinism” for the class.

You also might want to look up what a “THEORY” is when used in a scientific context, it has a very specific definition that you might not be aware of… Heres a hint, it isnt like when your uncle Walter says “I have this here theory…” .[/quote]

LOL, quoted for truth and humour

i believe in evolution
im an American

[quote]Doc L wrote:
thomasc83 wrote:
Do I believe that homo-sapiens and animals adapt to their surroundings? Yes! I also believe that we will tweak our own genetics after years of adaptation. But in no way do I believe in Darwinism. Darwinism is almost like a cult religion.

Sure, it’s THEORY with some possible proof, but so is the existence of bigfoot, and other mythical creatures that cannot be proven. We don’t have the transitional fossils to back it up. There would be in-between species out there right now that are currently evolving. I find the claim that some little creature crawled up on land and spawned everything from hippos to tigers to ants hilarious…

I gotta get in on this before it gets out of hand…

In order to be classified as a scientific theory, there must be exhaustive evidence that supports your hypothesis and can be validated by others. It is NOT simply an idea.

Theory in science is not the same as, “hey man, I have a theory (idea) about why my belly button lint is always blue”! Now, you may be on to something with your idea, but it will never be accepted as Scientific Theory until you find a ton of evidence to support it and your friends (and enemies) pick apart your evidence and find it sound.

And…BTW, there appears to be “transitional” species out there right now that ARE currently evolving…Rhagoletis pomonella aka the apple maggot is a nice example. Speciation events are

Today’s molecular biological techniques are also yielding more and more evidence to support evolution because now we can see changes in genes over time and across species.

This is not about belief.

Carry on…

[EDIT] Damn, I gotta learn how to type faster. [/quote]

Next in the press: US publishers refuse to distribute book about photosynthesis, claim that the “theory” is too controversial and may offend the beliefs of the tree worshipping pagans. Stay tuned!

First, let me say that I’m 100% in favor of science and evolution and think the religious crazies are out of control and are a threat to the future of science in America. Notice I use the word “crazies.” I fully realize that there are rational people who can reconcile their religious beliefs with science. To these folks, I say well done. Which is why I too have wondered why some religious people are so hostile to science and evolution in particular. Then one day I was standing outside the theater in our nature and science museum after we had just finished watching an Imax movie on black holes and the universe. Really cool stuff. I overheard a lady say to her friend, “That was interesting, but I prefer creationism. It’s simpler.” And there it was. Yes, the movie presented some complex concepts, and compared to black holes and other forces in the universe (like dark matter and dark energy), our existence can seem meaningless and pathetic. It is indeed better to think that we are all “special” and that there is a supreme being out there who loves all of us and cares for us. But that doesn’t make it true. Hey, I would “prefer” that 2 + 2 would equal 5 rather than 4. It’s neater and simpler that way. But no matter how much I want for 2+2 to equal 5, it won’t make it true. It’s just a form of denial, plain and simple.

If you prefer in creationism, good for you. I hope you live a happy life. But stop trying to pass it off as science. Stop trying to infect scientific education with your myths.

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:
anonym wrote:

To my knowledge he did do Zeitgeist, which is one of those conspiracy-nut videos. The “information” was presented in the exact kind of way as in conspiracy theories.[/quote]

No, AronRa is not involved with the people that made Zeitgeist. Nice try, though.

[quote]I especially loved how only the most ignarant fools get pulled aside on NYC streets and state fairs to comment on it. The video is a piss-poor, clearly biased piece of propaganda. Unfortunately, some creationists tend to produce bullshit propaganda of the same kind which gives all independent thinkers in that department a bad rap.
[/quote]

I’d recommend watching the whole series because he deals with the “best” arguments for creationism as well as the fundamental principles that underlie virtually all creationist rhetoric.

[quote]anonfactor wrote:
I’d recommend watching the whole series because he deals with the “best” arguments for creationism as well as the fundamental principles that underlie virtually all creationist rhetoric.[/quote]

He also has a few other videos where he deals with creationist criticisms of his series, which is also really good.

Evolution requires as much, if not more faith than divine creation theories. The scientific method CANNOT prove evolution.

[quote]bpeloquin wrote:
Evolution requires as much, if not more faith than divine creation theories.[/quote]

Really, how so? Also, define what you believe is the theory of evolution?

Why?

Was anyone there, 5 billion years ago to observe what took place?
Can science repeat and analyze what happened ? No.
Everyone that believes in evolution places a ton of faith in a lot of things they cannot prove.

[quote]bpeloquin wrote:
Was anyone there, 5 billion years ago to observe what took place? [/quote]

Wow.

[quote]anonfactor wrote:
bpeloquin wrote:
Evolution requires as much, if not more faith than divine creation theories.

Really, how so? Also, define what you believe is the theory of evolution?

The scientific method CANNOT prove evolution.

Why?[/quote]

This is the old “you can’t replicate evolution in a laboratory” argument. Well, duh. Evolution takes place over millions of years. Of course you can’t reduce it to a simple laboratory experiement.

Oh but wait - aren’t there examples of evolution that have been seen in recent years? Why yes, yes there are. In the past, doctors over-prescribed antibiotics. The result is that these bacteria mutated which resulted in new strains that are more resistant to anitbiotics. The bacteria evolved to become more resistant to that which was killing them. Hmmmm.

But let’s have some fun. Let’s say that I’ve been given the power of an all-powerful creator for one week and I need to come up with a new world. Would I create a world with billions of species of life or would I create a world that’s more simple and ordered? Would I create a world in which some creatures have useless body parts (an appendix in humans, nipples on the males of most mammals)? Would I create really large birds, such as the ostrich, that have no chance of flying, yet give them wings? Would I create a platypus, which has the characteristics of a mammal, yet lays eggs? Okay, I might create a platypus because they’re just funny and confuse the hell out of people - I mean, it’s a mammal that lays eggs! My point is that, given unlimited power, I would create a simpler, more logical world. We don’t have that. This makes me question just how intelligent was this intelligent designer.

[quote]bpeloquin wrote:
[/quote]

No, but we do have these neat things called fossils that give us a sense of what took place millions of years ago.

Evolution on a small scale doesn’t prove the origin of the universe. Viruses evolve? Who gives a shit. That doesn’t prove anything.

Adapting to environments could be considered evolution, but it has nothing to do with origin.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
bpeloquin wrote:

No, but we do have these neat things called fossils that give us a sense of what took place millions of years ago.[/quote]

These neat fossils also have huge gaps in them. We should be finding thousands of fossils of transitional species. They claim whales came from wolves, how come we have no fossils of whale-wolves?