Chargers vs. Pats ?

[quote]deputydawg wrote:
Zap:

I totally agree.  I think it will be won or lost at the line of scrimmage.  The Pats O-Line will be severly tested.  The Chargers D is unbelievable.  They have a bone rattling pass rush. They are much better than the Jets D.  

I think the game really comes down to that.  As much as I'm talking up the Pats I'm taking the Chargers.  I think they'll win by a field goal.

[/quote]

I haven’t seen many SD games this year.

NE O-line is playing well now but they have had some rough games. If SD D-line plays well I give them the nod. Some real pressure on Brady could turn this into a blowout.

I think NE’s D will take away either LT or Rivers but probably not both so I think SD will have opportunity to put up a few points as long as they don’t get one dimensional.

I think SD will win it but I wouldn’t put money on it.

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
mikek wrote:
its going to come down to qb vs. qb. I give the edge to Brady.

Sure, because the two teams are exactly equal in all other aspects. That is some in depth analysis there, killer.[/quote]

LT = marooney and dillon
chargers front seven = pats front seven
chargers wr’s = pats wr’s
bellichek = marty
rivers does not = brady

deep enough, ace

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
I am sick of hearing about Brady’s 11-1 playoff record.

What about the defense that has held their opponents to an average of 16.7 points durng the same playoff span?

Let’s give credit where it is due. Brady is a fine QB when there is no pass rush and his defense is playing well. He is also capable of throwing 4 interceptions if his O-line isn’t perfect.

This game, like most others, will be won at the line of scrimmage.

Neither teams skill players are that much better than the other teams.

Brady vs Rivers. Both good.

LT vs Dillon and Marouney. MVP and two very good running backs. They are all capable of a great game.

What qb isn’t???

“A fine qb” that’s just ridiculous.

Bradshaw–great defense
Stauback–great defense
Montana–great defense
Favre–great defense

common thread running through all of their superbowl wins. Ohh yah

Dilfer–great defense
Manning–NOT SO GOOD!

Brady is a first ballot hall of famer. [/quote]

Of course he is because he has played behind a great line and had a great defense.

When his line has failed this year he has been very mediocre. If his line doesn’t hold up against SD he will look very mediocre.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
I am sick of hearing about Brady’s 11-1 playoff record.

What about the defense that has held their opponents to an average of 16.7 points durng the same playoff span?

Let’s give credit where it is due. Brady is a fine QB when there is no pass rush and his defense is playing well. He is also capable of throwing 4 interceptions if his O-line isn’t perfect.

This game, like most others, will be won at the line of scrimmage.

Neither teams skill players are that much better than the other teams.

Brady vs Rivers. Both good.

LT vs Dillon and Marouney. MVP and two very good running backs. They are all capable of a great game.

What qb isn’t???

“A fine qb” that’s just ridiculous.

Bradshaw–great defense
Stauback–great defense
Montana–great defense
Favre–great defense

common thread running through all of their superbowl wins. Ohh yah

Dilfer–great defense
Manning–NOT SO GOOD!

Brady is a first ballot hall of famer.

Of course he is because he has played behind a great line and had a great defense.

When his line has failed this year he has been very mediocre. If his line doesn’t hold up against SD he will look very mediocre.

[/quote]

First you gave all the credit to his defense. Now it’s his offensive line.
Your bias is obvious.

And what qb doesn’t look average when the line plays poorly?

But the reverse doesn’t hold. A good line does not make a poor qb a first ballot h-o-f’er.

I live in SD and frankly think LT is one of the best backs that’s ever played (I saw Jim Brown and OJ play, so I have some historical perspective.) But I also get the sense that NE owns SD – NE is in SD’s head somehow, and I don’t think SD expects to win. I seriously would rather have seen SD playing KC, strictly for this reason.

[quote]mikek wrote:

bellichek = marty
[/quote]

are you serious?

[quote]mikek wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
mikek wrote:

Sure, because the two teams are exactly equal in all other aspects. That is some in depth analysis there, killer.

LT = marooney and dillon
bellichek = marty
rivers does not = brady

deep enough, ace[/quote]

In what league are Maroney and Dillon equal to LT? Not this year’s NFL, that’s for sure.
The Chargers’ front 7 is more talented, but they two teams are close enough that we can call that a push. It all comes down to the schemes used by either team.

The Chargers WR (and don’t forget Gates) blow away the Patriots receivers. That has been the gripe all year about NE — their receiver corps are not nearly as good as in the past. Hell, Reche Caldwell couldn’t hang with the Chargers last year, and now he’s NE’s #1 receiver.
Bellecheck blows Marty away, by any measure.

Rivers is good enough to beat the Patriots, esp. when you factor in the Chargers’ offensive and special teams superiority.

You really don’t know too much about football, do you? That’s OK. You can learn, if you try really hard.

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
mikek wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
mikek wrote:

Sure, because the two teams are exactly equal in all other aspects. That is some in depth analysis there, killer.

LT = marooney and dillon
bellichek = marty
rivers does not = brady

deep enough, ace

In what league are Maroney and Dillon equal to LT? Not this year’s NFL, that’s for sure.
The Chargers’ front 7 is more talented, but they two teams are close enough that we can call that a push. It all comes down to the schemes used by either team.

The Chargers WR (and don’t forget Gates) blow away the Patriots receivers. That has been the gripe all year about NE — their receiver corps are not nearly as good as in the past. Hell, Reche Caldwell couldn’t hang with the Chargers last year, and now he’s NE’s #1 receiver.
Bellecheck blows Marty away, by any measure.

Rivers is good enough to beat the Patriots, esp. when you factor in the Chargers’ offensive and special teams superiority.

You really don’t know too much about football, do you? That’s OK. You can learn, if you try really hard.[/quote]

I agree that Maroney and Dillon don’t equal LT, but they’re certainly not to be underestimated. And the patriots defense is pretty damn good. As someone said before, they should be able to handle either LT or Rivers, but not both. That being said, I’ve got to give the edge to the Pats defense. They’ve got a lot of experience and read the offense really well. Rivers is young and untested in the post season, and coach Schotenheimer is certainly not the guy you want on your sideline in a playoff game against a good defense (and a good coach like Belichick).

Receivers? Yeah, it’s been a problem for the Pats this year, but to say Reche Caldwell is the same player he was at San Diego isn’t fair. He’s had a phenomenal season this year, much better than when he was a Charger. Plus, we’ve still got Troy Brown, and Jabar Gaffney had a great game last week. Plus, receivers are only as good as the QB throwing the ball, and I think we all agree that Brady is just a hell of a lot better than Rivers. Not to mention he’s proven himself to be great in the post season, Rivers hasn’t yet (not saying he won’t, it’s just an unknown). Plus he’s got Asante Samuel, league leading interceptions, to deal with in the Pats secondary. I would think twice about making a pass anywhere near Samuel.

I gotta give the game to the Pats, but not by much. It’ll be a hell of a battle though, I can’t wait.

Jay

This is pretty much Marty’s game to lose. He has proven that he can take any 12-win team and coach them straight to a playoff loss.

Anyone remember the KC Chiefs and the multiple 13-win seasons?

IMO, there is only one superstar that will be suiting up - LT. If thew Pats can shut him down and force Rivers into having to pass - the Pats have a pretty good shot.

On the other hand - if SD can put pressure on Brady, he’ll choke like Eli Manning.

ESPN’s darling QB is decent at best.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

Your bias is obvious.

But the reverse doesn’t hold. A good line does not make a poor qb a first ballot h-o-f’er. [/quote]

Where did I give all the credit to his defense? I just pointed out that they have been stellar in the post season.

I also noted that when his line plays well so does he and when he is under pressure he is sub-par.

I never said he was a poor qb. He is a fine qb. I think he is one of the top 10 or so in the league today.

I don’t think he is significatly better than Rivers. Both will do quite well under the proper circumstances.

And there are many qbs that have played well with mediocre line play. Brady and Manning get more time to throw than anyone else in the league.

The spread is 4.5 pts in the chargers favor, give 3 to the home team and that is pretty close to a pickem. So even the odds makers think this will be close. I go with the superbowl tested qb over rivers any day. I do hope for a great game and cant wait. Dillon and marooney do equal lt as far as yards go. I do understand that lt has more td’s, like 10 more, but the pats have given up less pts per game this year than in there previous 3 super bowl wins. That is why i would call rushing a push. Stop LT and stop the bolts. Maybe

go pats

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
mikek wrote:

bellichek = marty

are you serious? [/quote]

This is the one thing that is overwhelmingly in the Pat’s favor.

Im from Mass so obv. the Pats. THey have one of the best rush defense so im not to worried about Ladainian runnin it. The pats are always under estimated. when they went to the bowl with the rams everyone doubted us. Belicheck is the man so im not to worried about the chargers. only person on the chargers im worried about is Merriman because hes nuts

[quote]mikek wrote:
The spread is 4.5 pts in the chargers favor, give 3 to the home team and that is pretty close to a pickem. So even the odds makers think this will be close. I go with the superbowl tested qb over rivers any day. I do hope for a great game and cant wait. Dillon and marooney do equal lt as far as yards go. I do understand that lt has more td’s, like 10 more, but the pats have given up less pts per game this year than in there previous 3 super bowl wins. That is why i would call rushing a push. Stop LT and stop the bolts. Maybe

go pats[/quote]

The Chargers have a far superior rushing attack: Michael Turner and Lorenzo Neal have no counter-parts on NE. So, no push in the rushing dept. Advantage: Chargers.

Otherwise, it will be a very close game. SD manhandled NE during last year’s regular season, but all bets are off in the playoffs. I think the home field and the Chargers physical advantage on both lines will tip the balance to SD, but they will not cover.

My money is on a carne asada burrito, 3 rolled tacos w/ guacamole, and the Chargers.

The Chargers have been the better team THIS season. NE has played well in spots but not consistently as well as the Chargers. NE gets a lot of respect due to their great recent past history.

From what I understand, most of the larger bets have been on the Chargers but a large majority of the smaller bets are on New England. This signals the Chargers are the right side.

I would look for SD to win this (and cover the spread).

Rainjack:

Great quote:  "Marty has proven he can take any 12 win team and lose in the playoffs."   I busted out when you said that and lets not forget Cleveland.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

Your bias is obvious.

But the reverse doesn’t hold. A good line does not make a poor qb a first ballot h-o-f’er.

Where did I give all the credit to his defense? I just pointed out that they have been stellar in the post season.

I also noted that when his line plays well so does he and when he is under pressure he is sub-par.

I never said he was a poor qb. He is a fine qb. I think he is one of the top 10 or so in the league today.

I don’t think he is significatly better than Rivers. Both will do quite well under the proper circumstances.

And there are many qbs that have played well with mediocre line play. Brady and Manning get more time to throw than anyone else in the league.[/quote]

Garbage–you showed you know little about which you speak.

You pointed out their stellar play with the intent of diminishing Brady. You know it.

You think he might be a top 10-(OR SO)- qb right now!!!? You think that he and Rivers are pretty much equal!!!? That’s so idiotic, I just can’t comment further.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
You think he might be a top 10-(OR SO)- qb right now!!!? You think that he and Rivers are pretty much equal!!!? That’s so idiotic, I just can’t comment further.

[/quote]

Rivers: 92.0 QB rating is 8th in the league

Brady: QB qb rating is 9th in the league.

They are both top 10 QB’s for the 2006 season. And they are pretty much equal.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

Rivers: 92.0 QB rating is 8th in the league

Brady: QB qb rating is 9th in the league.

They are both top 10 QB’s for the 2006 season. And they are pretty much equal.

[/quote]

I think Brady, Rivers, Pennington, McNair, Palmer, Peyton Manning, McNabb, Brees, Hasselbeck, Bulger, etc all would have won 2 or 3 Super Bowls if they would have been the QB in NE during their Super Bowl run.

Or if you say, no way, Rivers was too young back then please feel free to substitute Kurt Warner as he was playing very well back then.

I think football is a team effort. I think they are all fine quarterbacks. I believe in giving credit where it is due.

NE has had excellent coaching, incredible defense, great offensive line play, the best kicker in the history of the post season and fine qb play.

If you want to suck Brady’s dick and pretend he is superhuman or something you can go right ahead. You sound like you get your inspired football analysis from the TV announcers instead of thinking about it yourself.

QB’s are the product of their talent, the coaching and team play. Look at Favre, his physical skills haven’t slipped that much and he has gone from great to bad. Stick him in NE and he could win another Super Bowl.