T Nation

Changing Up Program (Games)

i almost forgot i have bball games next week for my highschool. i dont think i can keep lifting the same way since i have games. how should i change up my program to fit in with my games. (some weeks im gonna have like 2-3 games some weeks ill go 4 in a row days with games)

I think you should lift 1-3 times a week. I think “Westside for Skinny Bastards” is a great 3-Days-A-Week program. You may not have time for the Repetition Effort Day. Maybe you should just do Max Effort Upper Body Day and Max Effort Lower Body Day. Or just Max Effort Upper Body Day and Repetition Effort Day.

Your lower body workout could have your legs sore, and I don’t think anybody needs sore legs for their games. Don’t expect to get stronger or make muscle gains during your in-season, although it’s possible. The off-season is when people work hard to get big and strong. They carry that new strength and muscle mass and transfer it to their sport. The in-season you develop your skill for your sport and conditioning levels. Depending on your coach their may be some strength focus. Let’s assume there’s not going to be.

You didn’t really give a lot of details.

Post what your diet is like.

Your recovery is more important for your games than training as hard as you did in the off-season.

The other guys on the forum should be able to help you better.

Just remember not to deprive yourself of calories. Eat big and clean.

-Kevin Haywood

elite fts has a q&a session, and it has a workout plan that julia l. uses on her track athletes that i think would work for you. its 3x/week, me upper, me lower, then a full body de.

i already have a program though. its listed in the “cant gain!!1” thread i made. im just saying since i have bball gaames coming up should i cut down my workouts and not do legs? cuz i dont wtant to be sore for my games…what should i do to maintain strength ?

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
i already have a program though. its listed in the “cant gain!!1” thread i made. im just saying since i have bball gaames coming up should i cut down my workouts and not do legs? cuz i dont wtant to be sore for my games…what should i do to maintain strength ?[/quote]

People already gave you advice on how to maintain strength in season…

If someone tells you to keep doing leg work, are you really going to keep doing it if you’re afraid that you won’t be able to run down the court from being sore? I think you have the answer to your own question.

If it makes you sore and you can’t play basketball, don’t do it. Use trial and error. It’s OK to think for yourself once in awhile…