T Nation

Changing Up My Programme; An Upper/Lower Split?

hey guys so i think i’ve been on my current split long enough. (a split that you guys helped me out with). Looking to change my routine a bit maybe an upper/lower split? got my lower day sorted I think. What do you think of the upper day?

Upper

Incline db press
Flat BB press
military press
one arm dumbell row

maybe bicep/tricep isolation at the end or maybe lat raises or shrugs any ideas?? thanks guys I’ve always found you really helpful

anyone?

Why are there three presses and one back movement? And ‘maybe’ some arm movents?

Try

chest
shoulders
triceps
back width
back thickness
biceps

Pick one exercise for each of these and get back to us

Three Push moves to one pull? I’m all for a thick chest and all but your back needs some attention too.

Especially to stave off shoulder injuries, IMO. What was your progress like on last split? Why are you changning it now?

I like supersets so:
a1 inc db pr xramping
a2 chin up xramping
b1 flat press 3x6-8
b2 1 arm db row 3x6-8
c1 military press 3x8-10
c2 front pulldown 3x8-10

db bench press
military press
tricep dips or rope pull down
one arm db rows
pullups
preacher curls

how does that sound?

I’m changing my split because I’ve been on it about 8 months. 5 day split - schest, back shoulders, legs, arms. Basically because i had the time (in university and living at home - alot of time to spare). I also play soccer and with pre-season training starting now i have less time to lift. (Training scocer - tuesday, thursday trying to fit a new routine around that so i have enough time to rest. Plus i’m not getting so much DOMs so i thought maybe my body was used to the training.

im no expert guys just looking for some help off experienced trainers like yourselves

[quote]john_smith123 wrote:
db bench press
military press
tricep dips or rope pull down
one arm db rows
pullups
preacher curls

how does that sound?

I’m changing my split because I’ve been on it about 8 months. 5 day split - schest, back shoulders, legs, arms. Basically because i had the time (in university and living at home - alot of time to spare). I also play soccer and with pre-season training starting now i have less time to lift. (Training scocer - tuesday, thursday trying to fit a new routine around that so i have enough time to rest. Plus i’m not getting so much DOMs so i thought maybe my body was used to the training.[/quote]

That looks good, the nice thing about uppewr lower splits is that since you are using higher frequency you can just focus on one exercise per bodypart per session and try to break PR’s everytime. That’s the advantage, instead of going flat bench then incline in the same session you can focus on them seperately and get up more weight on the second exercise.

So what I would do is use that set of exercises for the first upper day and choose another set for the next upper day, make sure they compliment eachother as in maybe one upper chest and flat press, one long head tricep movement and one short ect. Do the same with lower body.

thanks mate. Its great to get advice off guys like you all the guys in my gym with a good body all snarl an walk around thinking their god’s gift so thanks guys. How many times a week do you think i should do this mate? 2 or 3?

thanks again by the way. You ever had any experience of upper lower split?

[quote]john_smith123 wrote:
thanks mate. Its great to get advice off guys like you all the guys in my gym with a good body all snarl an walk around thinking their god’s gift so thanks guys. How many times a week do you think i should do this mate? 2 or 3?

thanks again by the way. You ever had any experience of upper lower split?[/quote]

I’ve done upper lower splits for the majority of my time training.

I’ve done 4 sessions a week, like monday tuesday thursday friday but now I like 3 days a week alternating between them, gives me more recovery time. So like monday wednesday friday alternating, so one week it’s upper lower upper and the next it’s lower upper lower and on and on.

I find about 3 working sets per bodypart is good keeping reps between 8-15.

I suggest reading Thib’s aritcles on creating your own program, it might help you clear up some questions you have about exercise selection or the upper/lower split. I did read it, created my own stuff and then posted it for a critique in the beginner’s section and got a bunch of helpful replies. I ended up going with an upper/lower split

Edited

there’s an article on here that is pretty good about explaining the push pull split, which isn’t exactly upper/lower but a good approach none the less

I have used the upper lower split for most of my training too.

Like Trav has said, I like to cycle through the exercises for each session (e.g. Barbell Row for back thickness on Upper day 1, Pull-ups for back width on Upper day 2 etc).

One thing I will say about doing upper/lower split only 3 times a week is that you can become somewhat imbalanced (one area tends to get more focus than the other). Ideally, it would be better to workout 4 times per week - so you could do something like:

Upper
Lower (deadlift dominant)
Upper
Lower (squat dominant)

Just don’t do too much heavy deadlifts/squats per week (like both in the same session, or doing both exercises done to the max twice a week) because they are extremely recovery intensive. The big exercises are only good for as long as they don’t overstimulate/over-consume all your recovery.