Changing to a Hypertrophy Workout

I have always trained with lower reps and a higher weight on all exercises (typically 6 reps at the most). To change it up a little I have been doing the Blending Strength and Size VER. 2.0 workout which is:

Barbell Bench Press 6x3
T-Bar Rows 6x3
Barbell Shoulder Press 5x5
Pullups 5x5
Skullcrushers 3x5
Barbell Curls 3x5

Unilateral Leg Press 3x25x20x15
Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift 3x12-15
Dumbell Walking Lunge 2x30
Seated Calf Raise 3x20
Rope Crunches 3xfailure

Incline dumbbell bench press 3x15x12x20
Dumbbell rows 3x15x12x20
Dumbbell lateral raise 3x15
Pulldowns 3x15
Incline Dumbbell Curls 2x15
Overhead dumbbell extension 2x15

Barbell Squat 6x4
Rack Deadlift 4x8x6x4x2
Lying Leg Curl 3x6
Standing calf raises 5x5
Hanging leg raises 3x8

I have realized that I would like to work on adding size for my next workout. In a week I will be done with my current workout and will be moving on to a hypertrophy workout. Is this a good workout to do next?

MONDAY
Squats 4x12
Leg Curls 4x15
Donkey Calf Raises 4x12
Seated Calf Raises 3x15
Hanging Leg Raises 3x12
Rope Crunches 3x15

WEDNESDAY
Flat Dumbbell Bench 4x15
Incline Barbell Bench 4x15
Weighted Dips 3x12
Close Grip Bench 3x12
Skullcrushers 2x15
Flat Flys 2x15
Incline Flys 2x15

FRIDAY
Deadlifts 4x10
Pullups 4x6to8
Barbell Rows 4x15
Barbell Curls 3x12
Cable Rows 3x12
Preacher Curls 3x12

SATURDAY
Military Press/Push press superset 4x15
Rear Delt Raises 3x12
Lateral Raises 3x12
Front Raises 3x12
Shrugs 3x12

anyone?

I like 'em both mate.

Good, solid workouts that will deliver us all from evil.

Go for it. you know what to do my son.

Joe

(is that you in avatar? skinny huh?)

BTW… i personally find i get most muscle from 5-9 reps or so… but everyone is different… it didnt work for you! lol! sorry…

Joe

[quote]hockeylifter7 wrote:
anyone?[/quote]

The number of lower body exercises pale in comparison to the number of upper body exercises.

Was that intentional?

Yea somewhat because I have always really focused on Squats and Deadlifts. Now that you bring that up my chest and tri day seems like alot. If I was to take skullcrushers out would that be better? I feel like my triceps are small so i wanted to hit them hard but that might be too much.

May want to keep in mind when trying to build size as well as when going to higher reps; your rest interval needs to be a lot shorter than your use to…if you are at 3 minutes ri, you should try and get this to about 1 minute ri…just something to think about as could make big difference on results…

Would supersetting some of those exercises be a good idea for mass to?

Thats should be a good start for you. I only hit legs once a week but im no competitive bodybuilder or anything. Im just a guy who likes to keep in shape.

After you do your last set barbell curls, you should go straight to the preacher curls for an arm-blasting superset. Besides that I dont think you want to compromise your overall strength for any of those major movements by doing a superset.

ok thanks, good info

Did you mean “cable curls” or “cable rows”?

Also, do you feel deadlifts heavily in your back? If so, keep it in there. If not, try “rack deads/rack pulls” instead. Those are a great upper back/trap builder and they allow you to really overload the traps.

Other than that the workout looks good. Let us know how it goes.

MONDAY
Squats 4x12

yes!!! 4x12’s are friggin great. its a shame no one believes in it.

yes i meant cable rows, i will do them after barbell rows to hit my back harder

the workout i am now finishing this week has rack pulls in it, I will be going back to deadlifts for this workout, i feel them in my back good

I have always been a fan of using lower reps so I think I will do the squats at 4x10 instead of 4x12, I have never done over 6 reps so it will still be new to me

i have added 2 sets of 30 of walking dumbbell lunges on leg day

Im a big fan of density training, so another way to do this would be to keep lifting heavy, but start progressively decreasing the rest breaks.