Changing Sticking Points

Hey all, well I just completed a 531 variant program and retested my maxes. I attempted 20prs on my lifts for a 1200 total at 170 but failed :confused: super bummed about it
however I noticed in my attempts my sticking points have moved. My initial sticking points were the common ones, off my chest on bench, out of the hole in squat, and off the floor in dl. Knowing this I tailored the last program with paused lifts at my sticking points. It seems to have somewhat worked because on my max attempts I stuck in the mid portion of the concentric. Ive heard of this happening before but never experienced it.

SO my question is how do I program next go around? Should I keep at my previous training to increase my speed at the point before the sticking point. Or start working at my new points with pause/partial(boards, rack pulls, high box) lifting??

How long was the program that you ran?

Why did you test all of your maxes afterwards?

it was about 12 weeks, I was planning on peaking to a meet but I couldn’t make it because of work. So I decided to retest my maxes instead

Follow 531 based on 90% of whatever you just successfully lifted while testing. When doing reps, focus on blasting the weight up at the bottom of the lift - that will help you w/ “sticking points”. Focus on proper technique w/ the lighter weights.

I assume you lift raw. All “sticking points” you have sound like the weight is just too heavy. Focus on reps and those sticking points you have at a particular weight will be a distant memory if you follow 531, eat, and sleep properly over the course of time. Be patient and trust the program.

From Nov 2012, to August 2013, I focused on my “sticking points” and made no progress. Started 5/3/1 in late Aug and then just use my assistance work to strengthen my weaknesses, and have seen huge improvement since then.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
From Nov 2012, to August 2013, I focused on my “sticking points” and made no progress. Started 5/3/1 in late Aug and then just use my assistance work to strengthen my weaknesses, and have seen huge improvement since then. [/quote]
I needed to hear/read this

[quote]yojimbo1858 wrote:

SO my question is how do I program next go around? Should I keep at my previous training to increase my speed at the point before the sticking point. Or start working at my new points with pause/partial(boards, rack pulls, high box) lifting??[/quote]

Both approaches have value. Moving sticking points is a sign you are doing something right, although it always sucks not to make the big numbers.

If you use partials, I would not use high box squats. I would just make your quads stronger with assistance work as well as back so you can hold teh weight without falling forward.

Rack pulls have utility in my opinion, but should always be set a couple inches BELOW your sticking point if it is at your knees or higher. Doing high rack pulls is great for grip strength and back size, as well as the 18" dead for a strongman competitor
but won’t do much for your deadlift. Same for bench press board pressing. Of course if the sticking point for the deadlift is below your knees just pull from the point you get stuck in, otherwise you are really essentially doing a full deadlift anyways.

I would always do these partials from a dead stop or long pause. I would not do them touch and go because bouncing can start and that will not help your sticking point at all.

I would also do them for repetitions as assistance work rather than the main liftsin 5/3/1 fashion. You should almost always train your main lifts in a full range of motion in order to keep your groove and set-up unless you’re just ridiculously strong out of the hole.

My .02