Changing Rep Ranges - Does This Look Viable?

I’ve been training for a while incorporating as many different rep ranges as possible in a single workout (6-12 primarily). For example, I may start doing an exercise for sets of 6 reps, then another exercise for sets of 8, then 10, then 12 etc.

Unfortunately incorporating so many different rep ranges in a single workout, it doesn’t really give me any room to maneuver and change my rep range when it’s time for a change, as I’m already using all the different hypertrophy rep ranges in my workout.

This has made me come up with a different way of training, and I was just wondering if it seemed viable. I figured I’d use reps of around 6-8 for ALL my exercises for a month or two, and then switch to a rep range of 10-12 for ALL my exercises for the next couple of months. Then go back to 6-8 reps, and vice versa. Basically switching from lower reps (intensity) to higher reps (volume) over a period of time.

The problem is, I’m not sure if this would be optimal, considering I’m only focusing on ONE specific rep range for a prolonged period of time. As soon as I switch to the higher rep range, I may lose all of the progress I made in the lower rep range, and it’ll become a vicious cycle. I do personally love to mix different rep ranges in a single workout (low AND high reps), although this just seems like a sure-fire way to plateau as there’s no possibility of changing your rep range once things become stale.

I guess this is a form of ‘Reverse Linear Periodization’, but as good as periodization may be, it also has its disadvantages in that you tend to lose progress once switching to a new method of training as you’re no longer maintaining it. I’m at a loss right now and could really use a hand.

Would really appreciate some help, thanks.

What you are suggesting as being different is actually quite standard. Then changing rep ranges within reason (no drastic jumps) in the next training block 8 to 12 weeks later is also considered very straightforward standard.

Don’t confuse complicated with better.

1 Like

Great, thank you. So sticking to a specific rep range for a number of weeks, and then switching it up is a viable way of incorporating different rep ranges into my routine? Things like myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy was worrying me about this way of training as well. As far as I’m aware, lower reps will stimulate myofibrillar hypertrophy which I’ll be getting the benefits of from my first training block, and then when increasing volume and switching to higher rep ranges I’ll be getting the benefit of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

What I was worrying about though was the fact that when moving to higher reps, where is the myofibrillar hypertrophy going to be stimulated from? I worry that any myofibrillar hypertrophy gains I got from the lower rep phase will dissipate when switching to the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy phase, hence why I always trained with ALL rep ranges in a single workout up until now, to make sure I was getting the best of both.

That’s a bit beyond me. I’ve never actually checked the density of myofibrils or the volume of cells before and after a training block.

Creatine works for a lot of people though. I just used that as a staple.