Changing My Major

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Alright guys, I think I was kind of confused on the difference between psychology and pschyiatry. I think regardless, I’m going to keep my Biochem major, as even though I’m uninterested now, the classes I’ll take later dealing with metabolism and things of that nature I know I enjoy. The comment on me sliding through high school was spot on, but I knew coming into college I’d have to work harder. I’ve done that though, I just think that my weakest link has always been math.

I have to put blame on myself mostly, but I have found out from some upper classmen that my current Trig teacher is notoriously tough and until about 3 years ago taught strictly high level calculas to math majors, so apparetly he’s not for everyone. lol. But I think I’ll stay in Biochem, and later on decide if maybe pschyiatry is route I’d want to go into as opposed to dentistry.

Another question, however, has anyone went down a similiar route? like gotten a Biochem degree, or maybe went into dentistry?? just curious on what thier experiences are…[/quote]

It’s spelled “calculus.” Take all the math, physics, chemistry, and engineering classes that you can. If you learn how to problem solve you will be way ahead of your peers.

When I was younger I figured I would probably major in biochem in college and go to medical school. Then I got to school and realized that I wanted to enjoy my youth and am not a huge fan of cadavers or bodily fluids (unless of course they are mine and they are being firehosed all over an attractive female). I majored in history instead.

In my junior year I decided I was going to go to law school, mainly in the hopes that I would someday have the opportunity to defend a Samuel L. Jackson-esque figure against “the man” and his institutionalized racism. I took the LSAT and did very well and got into some Ivy Leagues and everything seemed to be rolling along smoothly. I started smoking Cuban cigars. I even bought boat shoes and a blazer for yacht parties. Then I thought long and hard and realized I didn’t want to be a lawyer either, so once again I abandoned the option that would have ultimately brought me stability and a garbage truck full of money.

I graduated in May of last year and found a job for the summer but that is over now. And here I am: unemployed with a BA in history that probably wouldn’t get me much of a job even if the market were thriving, which in case you live in a cave somewhere without access to the news, it isn’t.

Maybe I’ll find something I love to do and end up happy and successful. Or maybe my life from here on out will be an endless succession of failures throughout which I will be eternally plagued by the knowledge that I had ample opportunities and pissed them away like the luminescent green contents of a cheap multivitamin.

I hope this helps.

Quitter.

www.khanacademy.com because you’re a dumb ass in math. Tip the guy a tenner or something, fucking cheapskate.