T Nation

Changing From Shots to Clomid Only

Hello ya’ll. Long story short, doctor is taking me off Cypionate shots (100ml/week) to placing me on Clomid, 1/2 dose everyday. For a little background, I started injecting T a month and a half ago. Initially T was 225, and on last test a week ago, it had jumped to mid 800s, low SHBG and high T free. I was starting to feel like this was good. Then when I brought up concerns about being able to have kids in the future, I was taken off Cypionate and placed on Clomid.

My biggest concern is whether my T levels would be sustainable on Clomid (800s) and therefore feel good. I’m worried that changing over to Clomid, my T levels wouldn’t be where they’re at, I’d feel tired, down, etc.

Anyone that went through this, would greatly appreciate some feedback. I’ve read about depression, anxiety, misery, etc. and was wondering how prevalent those were and whether they went away. Also, how long did it take until Clomid kicked in for the T benefits.

Thank you!

Seems like it would make more sense to stick with the test cyp since it sounds like it was starting to work then add HCG to keep your natural production working for sake of making babies

Is he planning on keeping you on clomid long term or are you trying to conceive soon?

It caused an emotional anxiety filled roller coaster for me. It would take a lot to convince me to ever try it again. Some people don’t have issues with it, but side effects are pretty common.

Thanks for answering!

Looking to conceive in a year - wife is pregnant now, but looking for a few more. Doc says that getting off the Cyp is needed to start making sperm again, and that process takes at least 6 months +.

How did you feel on Clomid? Always depressed? Did you see the benefits that come with higher T - such as energy? Motivation? Concentration? Mood? How long did it take until the Clomid worked?

Thanks again!

Yeah, that’s not true. Plenty of guys conceive while on, that’s what HCG is for.

There is def. no reason to be on clomid for a 6+ months to get your fertility back.

In 6 months you would probably be back to “normal” on your own without any drugs at all even if you had been doing a heavy steroid cycle. Since you were only on a TRT level dose for say 6 weeks, it shouldn’t take a lot to get you going again.

Regardless, I would try to stick with the TRT+HCG route so you can stay on it and conceive at the same time. It seems like the best of both worlds to me. Clomid seems like the worst of both worlds to me, lol

I was depressed and had really bad mood swings + a ton of anxiety on it. More than once me and my significant other were traveling and I flipped out over something stupid, screamed at her and left her wherever she was and went back to the hotel by myself. It’s pretty embarrassing in hindsight. I’m normally pretty laid back and OK with almost anything.

I don’t remember any positives to be honest. I’m not saying you will have the same experience, but mine certainly wasn’t a good one

1 Like

Sorry dude, your doctors sucks. It’s a little premature to jump on clomid considering the timing is off and are not currently attempting to have another child just yet. You could just stop TRT went looking to get the wife pregnant, then start on clomid to restart the HPTA.

I didn’t even use any PCT or clomid, just stopped TRT 5 weeks ago and already producing natural testosterone. You can even use HCG and FSH injections while on TRT to improve fertility.

If you knew the possible horrible side effects of clomid you probably would have given it more thought.

So, even after TRT you can start producing sperm? I thought/doc told me that there’s usually irreversible damage when on TRT.

Your doctor is an idiot.

Even though I’ve been on TRT for 6 weeks, I think his way of thinking is that he doesn’t want me to be on TRT long term because it causes irreversible damage in fertility.

Is that true?

I restarted my HPTA 4 weeks after stopping TRT with no PCT or clomid and had been on for almost 3 years.

Btw, how long were you on TRT for? Once you injected HCG into the mix, everything worked out fine? Were there any downsides to the HCG?

LOL. No. I second @systemlord on this one, your doc is an idiot.

Wait, so no fertility damage after using TRT? I wonder where this got his info from. I mean he’s a urologist, pretty reputable in his area, doesn’t make any sense to me.

You will definitely have reduced/no fertility WHILE ON TRT, if you don’t tale HCG to stimulate production, but it’s rarely permanent. Athletes run cycles all the time and father children, they just run a PCT after the cycle, And it isn’t 6 months of Clomid, that’s for certain.

That’s crazy. So how long does fertility usually pick back up after TRT? What about HCG, how well does fertility work while on HCG?

“fertility damage”, haha

I’d say find a new doc as well. And I would just add HCG to what you’re currently taking closer to when you guys want to conceive and you should be fine

HCG mimics LH, so you are as fertile as you would be while on HCG. It stimulates sperm production (along with some other hormones) more or less like natural would be. Your TRT dose is fairly irrelevant to the process.

Recovery of spermatogenesis following testosterone replacement therapy or anabolic-androgenic steroid use

Alternatively, the same data demonstrate a median time to recovery of 20 × 106 ml-1 sperm ranging from 3 to 6 months, with probability estimates suggesting recovery in 67%, 90%, 96%, and 100% of men at 6, 12, 16, and 24 months, respectively, after discontinuation of testosterone exposure.

Urologist , endocrinologists and GP’s do not specialize in TRT, we have to unquack everyone who finds their way here. The majority of doctors fail miserable at TRT because there is no time devoted to it in medical school.

TRT suppresses the HPTA and the secretion LH and FSH, the latter is related to sperm production. HCG which will allow some testosterone to be produced inside the testicles and adding FSH injections is known to increase sperm production all while on TRT.

Stopping TRT will end the HPTA suppression caused by TRT and see the return of your natural secretion of LH and FSH and therefore sperm production in the majority of cases.

1 Like

So, how do you find a TRT doc that knows what they’re doing?

A good knowledgeable TRT doctor will be a private doctor in anti-aging or sports medicine. Most doctors in managed health care are inadequate for the fact that they take insurance at all.

Beware of TRT clinics (T-mills), most of them are worse than inadequate sick care doctors and are only interested in selling product and have no skill at managing hormones at all.

Telemedicine may be an option if living in an area where doctors are limited, Defy Medical is recommended if unable to locate a local doctor.

Your location?