Changing a Fat Boy

[quote]Blazin wrote:
Good work getting on the diet, are you sure your cal intake isn’t a bit low?

I’m consuming about the same amount at 250lbs… I’m also a bit low as I go to the gym 4-6x a week… but being this low has actually been the first time i’ve seen real loss…

however, for someone with 90lbs on me, and a 1.2 on the activity scale I’m seeing you at like 3000 cals not 2200…

Either way… nice work… just be careful.[/quote]

He may have 90 lbs on your, but truthfully he has a whole lot of adipose tissue. Most calorie requirement calculations are based off of body weight which makes them inaccurately.
180lbs 7% 1.2activity level
180lbs 17%1.2 activity level

According to most calculations they would require the same amount of calories, this is wrong, that is why I do not put much stock in them

3000 kcals would be too many, anything over 2500 would be too many at this point. Stick to between 2000 and 2500 kcals.

[quote]ghoshi wrote:
wow… I read every post so far on here & it’s really helped ME. Thanks alot to the people with nutritional knowledge, it really helps.

I have a question though… I asked almost the same thing as he has, but only 2 or 3 people have even replied to my thread. What have I done wrong?[/quote]

Didn’t see it.

Post a link to your thread or PM me.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Drumhogg wrote:

thanks for the advice … But I’m an all or nothing kind of guy, not to mention I’m just fed up with myself and enough is enough.

This is what I wanted to hear. Otep and Zagman are both giving bulls-eye advice. I was initially skeptical because it is usually hard for people to cold turkey things, especially “feel good” stuff in their diet. Usually small daily adjustments work better for them. But for you…you my friend are going to go far, as long as you keep yourself honest. There’s no shortcut to transformation. Not even steroids. It’s always long, it’s often painful, and it’s usually hard. But it is SIMPLE. The problem with all or nothing types is that when they drop off the bandwagon, they don’t just take a tumble, they drop off the edge of the world. This is a game of years, not weeks or even months. Know that and accept it. Stay fat and die. Or get lean and live. There is no compromise.

Listen to me–the first week is easy, the second often too. But habits that you have ingrained over the years are going to try and bite you in the ass. It generally takes 21 days to break old habits. Make it one month with zero screw-ups on diet, and you are almost home free to your new habits. You’ll probably need more time after so long getting bad habits, but the hardest part will be over.

Also, you need to change the way that you think about food. Food can make you strong…or it can be weakness personified. Once you’ve woken up, you can’t go back to sleep–you can willfully go back to eating crap, but you’ll still know it’s making you fat and weak. Food is fuel for a transformation, nothing more. This is how all great athletes, bodybuilders, and elite competitors think. Food is fuel, and it can turn you into a beast or a blob.

I want you to repeat to yourself a couple phrases every day when you wake up before you get out of bed and at night before you go to bed. But one of them is going to be “Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire”. Kill the old you, set yourself on fire. Here’s the other phrase “Die Fatty Die”. Yes I’m serious. The weight that’s hanging on you is not you any more. It is a parasite. It is trying to suffocate you. Day by day, meal by meal, it wants to kill you slowly. It wants to torture you by making you sick, slow, and diabetic. It wants you to be hooked on prescription meds to get through the day. Repeating phrases to yourself daily helps when hard times hit. And they hit everyone, vets included. Keep your goal in mind. The last thing I want you to do, is to find a picture that you want to look like–Arnold, Zane, Carl Lewis, Abercrombie model, I don’t care. Find a picture that shows your ultimate goal. I want you to post that thing by the fridge door. Do it as soon as you read this. Yes, now.[/quote]

Thanks you’ve added fuel to the fire.

stats:

Temp: 96.1
weight: 350.6

I’m happy to say I’ve lost just shy of ten pounds. I know I shouldn’t watch the scale on a daily basis but I can feel the difference, I swear I feel myself loosing the fat!

I’m working on the backup plans. I plan on getting some Metabolic Drive bars and I always have green veggies, Protein powder and almonds ready to go. I even bought a small dorm fridge strickly for bottled water.

All or nothing is the way to approach dieting. No body reaches their goals by watching what they eat, they watch the same amount of shitty food as before get shoveled into their mouths.

There will come a point in time where this will get really hard, you will second guess yourself and become weak. This is what we are here for, you will have to talk about it and really set in your mind what your goals are. You may not have the goals of looking like arnold or zane; your goals can be as simple as being capable to run and play games with your kids or setting a good example for them.

As for motivational saying, I have one.
“You are who you choose to be”

You have choses to be fat, you may have “wanted” to not be fat, but through all of the choices that you made you chose to be fat. Now you can choose to have a body you are comfortable with, or you can choose to die. It is your choice, once you choose, really choose to change your life, the battle is already won.

Keep up the good work and keep on posting.

[quote]Drumhogg wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
Drumhogg wrote:

Thanks you’ve added fuel to the fire.

stats:

Temp: 96.1
weight: 350.6

I’m happy to say I’ve lost just shy of ten pounds. I know I shouldn’t watch the scale on a daily basis but I can feel the difference, I swear I feel myself loosing the fat!

I’m working on the backup plans. I plan on getting some Metabolic Drive bars and I always have green veggies, Protein powder and almonds ready to go. I even bought a small dorm fridge strickly for bottled water.[/quote]

Feel yourself loosing weight, just wait to see what you feel like with you are 60 lbs lighter then 100 and maybe even 150; right now you aren’t living, you will be when you can move with no impediments or hindrance from excess baggage.

Here’s the food log for today:

Breakfast CALORIES CARBS FAT PROTEIN

Protein Powder, 1 serving 110 2 1 24
Milk, 1%, 1 cup 102 12 2 8
Fish oil softgel, 2 serving 30 0 2 0
Apples, fresh, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb) 81 21 0 0

2nd Breakfast

Cottage Cheese, 1% Milkfat, 6.7 oz 136 5 2 23
Cucumber (peeled), 0.5 cup, pared, chopped 8 1 0 0
Celery, raw, 2 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) 13 3 0 1
Romaine Lettuce (salad), 1 cup, shredded 8 1 0 1
Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average, 0.5 cup cherry tomatoes 16 3 0 1
Bean sprouts, 0.5 cup 17 3 0 2

Lunch

Beef, top sirloin, 12 oz 687 0 27 103
Broccoli, cooked, 250 grams 88 18 1 6

Dinner

Broccoli, cooked, 200 grams 70 14 1 5
Chicken Breast, no skin, 8.6 ounces 268 0 3 56

Snack

Green Beans (snap), 250 grams 78 18 0 5
Lean Ground Sirloin 10% Fat, 10 oz 513 0 28 60

Late Snack

Protein Powder, 2 serving 220 4 2 48

Daily Totals: 2,504 107 75 343

I’m not finished but I wanted to post it before I forgot

drumhogg… Congratulations dude… you’ve made the decision i made 18 months ago…

i started at 249 pounds (forgive me, i am australian thus i use kg)lost 22 pounds pretty easily… i am currently 240lbs but i have a lot more muscle now… i have always been stocky, solid arms and legs naturally… I have just reached the hard part where its hard to keep losing the fat… i have changed things around… different foods etc etc…

listen to zagman. he is looking after you well…

zagman…
my diet is still clean but the fat has stopped coming off… any thoughts??

I like the direction this thread is headed. It sure looks like the original poster is serious and following through. Keep it up. This log will help you with your goals…especially if you have the nerve to post pictures of yourself. For me, knowing that other people are going to know if I quit on myself is motivation to keep going when I start losing my own.

It seems you are doing well with clean, well balanced eating…so at this point I’d agree with the opinions you’ve received about waiting on the v-diet…BUT, I do disagree that it is a quick fix solution only and that it is only for people putting the finishing touches on their physiques and not for beginners.

If you were like me, and hated cooking, and rarely ate a vegetable, I think the V-diet would be as tailor made for you as it was for me. Doing the V-diet, made me really respect whole foods more. It definitely had an effect on my taste cravings for food as well. I went from rarely eating vegetables, to regularly eating lots of vegetables and enjoying them. I still don’t like cooking; but using Shugart’s suggestion for crockpot cooking, I am getting by. I throw a roast and a buttload of veggies in my largest crock and let it cook while I sleep. Then I have healthy solid meals for days.

While the V-diet is hard mentally…you’ll be tempted many times per day, it is simple…and I was NEVER hungry. I had to constantly watch the clock to prevent myself from missing a shake or getting off track with my 2.5-3 hour feedings. If you do the V-diet someday, make sure you use a quality protein with a good concentration of caseins and you shouldn’t have real hunger problems at all. The ones I’ve read that really had a problem with hunger, tried doing it with whey protein isolates and such that are quickly absorbed and utilized. Caseins take much longer to fully digest [up to 6 hours].

As I said though, you are doing well with the balanced eating, so save the vdiet for when you hit a plateau that you need to smash through. When I started at 380, it came off easily for the first 60 pounds eating basically low carb. Then I struggled and couldn’t seem to break through the 300# barrier…spending a couple months in the 305-310 range. The holidays added back another 10# and I started the V-diet in the month of February. In 28 days, I lost 30# of fat. Since the diet ended, my weight has stayed the same, but my body comp continues to improved according to my tape measurements. Still, you get spoiled by the speed and efficacy of the V-diet and I’m thinking about starting up again for the month of May to get closer to my final goal before summer really starts.

Look forward to following your progress.

[quote]mindsnare wrote:

listen to zagman. he is looking after you well…

zagman…
my diet is still clean but the fat has stopped coming off… any thoughts??[/quote]

If you want, start a thread or pm; don’t want to hijack this one. I would like to see a 3 day diet log with macro breakdown, if you haven’t been recording your daily values, start. Also, the essential information like height, weight, training age, etc. Also, a brief description of your training and goals.

Food For April 19th:

Milk, 1%, 2 cup 205 24 5 16

2nd Breakfast

Jimmy dean Turkey Sausage, 2 serving 240 2 14 26
Egg, fresh, 3 large 224 2 15 19
Aunt Millie’s Multi-Grain Bread, 2 Slice 120 24 1 4

Dinner

Broccoli, cooked, 300 grams 105 22 1 7
Beef, top sirloin, 18.6 oz 1,065 0 42 160

Snack

Daily Totals: 2,398 82 82 328

Today was tough. Not form a craving standpoint, It was just tough to eat when I could. I should have spread dinner into two separate portions with veggies.

On the other hand Its all good, I ate right.

I’ll get there with better planing.
Slow and steady wins the race!

Sometimes you just have to make do as best you can. You still ate 4 times, so it’s not terrible. But yeah, you hsould have split dinner in two. As a general rule keeping your meal sizes all near the same keeps your body from receiving a “store fat” signal.

This is a very small example of how contingency plans are a good thing.

[quote]Drumhogg wrote:
Today was tough. Not form a craving standpoint, It was just tough to eat when I could. I should have spread dinner into two separate portions with veggies.

On the other hand Its all good, I ate right.

I’ll get there with better planing.
Slow and steady wins the race![/quote]

Live and learn, learn from it; you had a little snag, but worked through it and kept your diet in check, good job.

Planning is paramount.

Sundays meals:

Apples, fresh, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb) 81 21 0 0

2nd Breakfast

Lunch

Cottage Cheese, 1% Milkfat, 7 oz 142 5 2 25
Lean Ground Sirloin 10% Fat, 7 oz 359 0 20 42
Romaine Lettuce (salad), 1 cup, shredded 8 1 0 1
Red Ripe Tomatoes, 0.5 cup cherry tomatoes 16 3 0 1
Fish oil softgel, 4 serving 60 0 4 0

Dinner

Broccoli, cooked, 170 grams 60 12 1 4
Beef, top sirloin, 5.4 oz 309 0 12 46
Red Ripe Tomatoes, 0.25 cup cherry tomatoes 8 2 0 0
Iceberg Lettuce (salad), 2 cup, shredded or chopped 15 3 0 1

Late Snack

Strawberries, fresh, 10 large (1-3/8" dia) 54 13 1 1
Daily Totals: 1,782 98 50 236

I really wasn’t hungry today, so I didn’t want to force it.

Im trying to stick to 2000cals on my diet and I’ve only been on it a week so im no expert but when im not hungry and its time for a meal i eat half it in one go and half of it 30min later or a hour later, i find that helps and i dont feel like im forcing it. That might help you

[quote]SeaHag wrote:
This log will help you with your goals…especially if you have the nerve to post pictures of yourself. [/quote]

I meant to do this earlier , but I was really busy all weekend.

Here’s a pic taken in Feb. when I tried to change my eating habits and Failed miserably.

Now it’s time to get down to business!

Just stopping in to throw you some motivation! Keep following your plan, and don’t let anything slow you down! You’re on the path to a whole new life.

This is something everyone CAN do, but most people WON’T do. So, let’s piss off the naysayers and do it, right?

Alright son, now stay the course until you’re a whole new person!

Good job. What are you drinking during the day? Have you gotten to adding in some gym time?

I’m drinking water, Lots o water, and green tea.
The thing is I hate diet soda, can’t stand the aftertaste, and I absolutely love ice cold water. I have a special fridge for bottled water and buy it by the case.

I haven’t gotten to the gym to workout yet, but I now have a membership at the local Ymca and plan to start on Weds. In the meantime I have been doing a few sets of inclined push ups and squats with walking either in the morning or at night. It’s also the start of Baseball, Softball season, and I manage my sons Pony baseball team and help with my Daughters softball team so I get activity there at least five days a week as well.

I also went out and bought a Polar Heart rate monitor so I can start some interval training. This parasite won’t come off on it’s own (I already tried that!)

Today’s Food:

Milk, 1%, 1 cup 102 12 2 8
Protein Powder, 1 serving 110 2 1 24

2nd Breakfast

Egg, fresh, 2 large 149 1 10 12
Egg white, 2 serving 34 1 0 6
Mushrooms, fresh, 50 grams 11 2 0 2
Green Peppers (bell peppers), 50 grams 14 3 0 0
Spinach, fresh, 50 grams 12 2 0 1
Sargento Reduced Fat Mexican Cheese, 2 oz 160 2 12 16
jimmy dean turkey bacon, 4 serving 100 0 8 8

Lunch

Chicken Breast, no skin, 7 ounces 218 0 2 46
Cottage Cheese, 1% Milkfat, 7.8 oz 159 6 2 27
Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average, 0.25 cup cherry tomatoes 8 2 0 0
Iceberg Lettuce (salad), 1 cup, shredded or chopped 8 2 0 0

Dinner

Texas Toast Parmesan garlic bread (1 slice), 2 serving 380 38 22 12
Tossed Salad, 1 cup 22 4 0 2
Filet Mignon, 10 oz 523 0 32 59

Late Snack

Daily Totals: 2,459 110 100 292

Today was Ok. The Highlight was the killer omelet man was that tasty. I probably shouldn’t have had the Garlic bread, but it was tasty and didn’t throw my Cals out of whack. I’m not gonna beat myself up over it.

After today I’ve now been Soda free for a week. Thats Sweet!

I can tell the change in activity level over the past week. I’ve got a slight soreness going on from head to toe.

Here is a picture taken right before I got married ten years ago.

I’ve gained almost 100 lbs since then.

I know I wasn’t in the best shape but I sure was a hell of a lot lighter!

My family deserves better!

Hell

I deserve better!