Changes to My PWO Shake?

My post-workout shake, which is one I make up myself;
40g dextrose
28g (1 scoop) whey protein isolate
28g dried skimmed milk powder (with added vitamins)
20g milk chocolate milkshake powder (with added vitamins)
Carbs- 70g/ Protein- 35g/ Fat- 2g (incidental)/ Calories- 430

The carbs are all simple, high-GI; a mix of dextrose, sugar, and lactose (I guess, from the dried skimmed milk.)

On another forum, a guy recommended dropping the skimmed milk powder and milkshake mix as its full of lactose, sucrose and slow protein, and instead to have the dextrose with some crushed weetabix or even ground oats for carb sources. I was just wondering what anybody else thought??

You might want to do some research and understand what your body needs post workout, instead of asking for random suggestions. Once you know why you need carbs, what type, how protein is used, etc, you’ll be much better equipped to meeting your goals. Read these articles and then, if anything is not clear, ask ahead.

Solving The Post-Workout Puzzle �?? Part 1
What Happens After The Workout?
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460833

Solving The Post-Workout Puzzle �?? Part 2
The Recovery Plan
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=462147

not sure what milkshale powder is but i would drop that. toss in whole oats for added protein and carbs plus the oats give the shake better consistency.

my typical pwo shake: 2 scoops of pure whey, 6 almonds, half cup blueberries quarter cup of whole oats, teaspoon of maltodextrin and dextrose, teaspoon or so of ground flax seeds, ice, water

[quote]robo1 wrote:
not sure what milkshale powder is but i would drop that. toss in whole oats for added protein and carbs plus the oats give the shake better consistency.

my typical pwo shake: 2 scoops of pure whey, 6 almonds, half cup blueberries quarter cup of whole oats, teaspoon of maltodextrin and dextrose, teaspoon or so of ground flax seeds, ice, water[/quote]

That looks like a shake better suited as a meal replacement/snack.

For PWO you need fast acting ingredients:
40g Hydrolysed Whey
35g MaltoDextrin
35g Dextrose
5g Creatine
10g Glutamine
10g BCAA Powder
0.5g Electrolyte Powder

Then again, if you actually live in the US, then Surge would be ideal as it is still cheaper than putting your own ingredients together.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
You might want to do some research and understand what your body needs post workout, instead of asking for random suggestions. Once you know why you need carbs, what type, how protein is used, etc, you’ll be much better equipped to meeting your goals. Read these articles and then, if anything is not clear, ask ahead.

The Recovery Plan
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=462147[/quote]

Thanks for the link to those articles dude- really good reads. I still have a question or two though. Basically, if I was to go with what the article says, I would only require about 24g protein and 50g carbs to refuel my glycogen stores and prevent muscle breakdown, basically, around 280 calories. Yet, looking over different forums and stuff, I see 1) people who have huge post-workout shakes, 2) recommendations that post-workout shakes should be one of the largest meals of the day, and 3) get given advice to actually make my postworkout shake bigger! So, in regards to this, I’m not really sure what I should do…

Also, I included the skimmed milk powder as I had read somewhere that casein protein, when taken with whey post-workout, encouraged more muscle growth. I’m also not able to find maltodextrin anywhere, so if I was to include another carb source on top of the dextrose, would oats most likely be the way to go??

[quote]watermelon_2001 wrote:
Brant_Drake wrote:

The Recovery Plan

Thanks for the link to those articles dude- really good reads. I still have a question or two though. Basically, if I was to go with what the article says, I would only require about 24g protein and 50g carbs to refuel my glycogen stores and prevent muscle breakdown, basically, around 280 calories. Yet, looking over different forums and stuff, I see 1) people who have huge post-workout shakes, 2) recommendations that post-workout shakes should be one of the largest meals of the day, and 3) get given advice to actually make my postworkout shake bigger! So, in regards to this, I’m not really sure what I should do…

Also, I included the skimmed milk powder as I had read somewhere that casein protein, when taken with whey post-workout, encouraged more muscle growth. I’m also not able to find maltodextrin anywhere, so if I was to include another carb source on top of the dextrose, would oats most likely be the way to go??
[/quote]

No, you need a high GI carb to spike your insulin - which will promote more muscle growth and repair. Insulin is a very anabolic hormone.

It also depends on how many calories you are eating and how much you weigh already. Just go ahead and make some like I posted earlier, go to myprotein.co.uk and you can get all your ingredients there.

[quote]rsg wrote:
watermelon_2001 wrote:
Brant_Drake wrote:

The Recovery Plan

No, you need a high GI carb to spike your insulin - which will promote more muscle growth and repair. Insulin is a very anabolic hormone.

It also depends on how many calories you are eating and how much you weigh already. Just go ahead and make some like I posted earlier, go to myprotein.co.uk and you can get all your ingredients there.[/quote]

I looked up myprotein.co.uk for the maltodextrin- unfortunately, because I live in Northern Ireland, it would cost me about £12 postage for 1kg, so I don’t know if it’s worth it…
You say it also depends on how many calories I’m eating, and my weight. I’m 131lbs, and the shake is about 430cals. Is there any way that I could keep my current shake even somewhat similar to what it already looks like??

You’re making this more difficult than it needs to be. Maltodextrin is all well and good, but as a beginner that amount of planning and detail really isn’t that necessary. Just drink half a gallon of chocolate milk PWO and you’ll be fine. It’s got a good carb/protein ration, creates a huge insulin spike, tastes good, and you can get it anywhere.

1 cup yogurt
1 cup milk
1 cup cottage cheese
44 g whey protein isolate(2 scoops of Grow!)
1 cup fruit (bananas are good potassium source)

Blend.

Roughly 150 g carbs, 80 g protein and 1000 calories.

That chocolate milk suggestion is good, too.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
You’re making this more difficult than it needs to be. Maltodextrin is all well and good, but as a beginner that amount of planning and detail really isn’t that necessary. Just drink half a gallon of chocolate milk PWO and you’ll be fine. It’s got a good carb/protein ration, creates a huge insulin spike, tastes good, and you can get it anywhere. [/quote]

Good point, I hadn’t realised you weigh 130lbs.

Don’t stress about the minor details, from your other thread I see you are eating too little. Get the chocolate milk and at most add some whey too it and drink as much as you need to feel full, without throwing up after your workout.

That’s it.

I use natural peanut butter spread on ample lactating breasts that are. . . uhhh what time is it? dame there goes my alarm clock.

Brother(s) its not this complicated use a good whey protein throw in BCAAs and some glutamine for good measure, want carbs use pure black cherry juice ( for recovery ) or pure grape juice if your budget is large use Vitargo. . .