T Nation

Changes in Carb/Fat Metabolism on TRT?

I’m 30 and have been on TRT for 3.5 months. Currently on 100mg/week, divided into EOD shots, delivered subcutaneously (truly under the skin, not the shallow IM method many call subq shots). Feeling good but have a question about metabolism and how you guys handle carbs/fats.

Before I went on TRT, I noticed that higher carb intake would make me gain weight. I’d notice myself looking pretty soft after even a few days of higher carb dieting. I got pretty lean doing a low-carb diet with higher fat intake. Now that I’m on TRT, I’ve noticed that I don’t tolerate higher fat intake as well-- I get puffy and bloated and feel pretty crappy if I eat a fair amount of fat. I feel, look, and train better on more carbs.

Has anyone else noticed changes in how you handle macronutrients? If so, what might be the mechanism behind this?

Read the protocol for injections sticky.
Read the advice for new guys sticky. -we need more data!

Is that your complete protocol?

SC is typically onto the fat below the skin, not intended to be IM at all. Shallow IM would still be IM. I think that it is you who is confused about subq/SC.

I suspect that your E2 estradiol levels are high. You need to post all of your lab results with ranges. We can recommend further labs.

[quote]KSman wrote:
Read the protocol for injections sticky.
Read the advice for new guys sticky. -we need more data!

Is that your complete protocol?

SC is typically onto the fat below the skin, not intended to be IM at all. Shallow IM would still be IM. I think that it is you who is confused about subq/SC.

I suspect that your E2 estradiol levels are high. You need to post all of your lab results with ranges. We can recommend further labs.

[/quote]

That’s what I meant by SubQ…people have talked about both and have confused the terms. I’ve read a lot of boards where people talk about subq but they are just using small needles and still injecting IM.

Anyway, I’ve been using the method where I pinch a layer of skin, insert the needle at 45", and deposit onto the fat. I’ll be getting labs done in the next week or so and will post them then.

What makes you suspect high E2? Just trying to understand from what you’ve said.

You are taking T without an AI, so E2 could easily be elevated. Elevated E2 does limit fat loss and puffy/bloaty is often associated with higher E2 levels.

You should be loosing fat with TRT.

Hypothyroidism can make one gain fat.

The above may not have anything to do with dietary intolerance of fat. Probiotics might be helpful.

[quote]KSman wrote:
You are taking T without an AI, so E2 could easily be elevated. Elevated E2 does limit fat loss and puffy/bloaty is often associated with higher E2 levels.

You should be loosing fat with TRT.

Hypothyroidism can make one gain fat.

The above may not have anything to do with dietary intolerance of fat. Probiotics might be helpful.[/quote]

Thanks, reply is much appreciated. I’ll post back with labs on this same thread when I get 'em.

FWIW, when I was on a doctor-administered protocol of 100mg/week in one shot, I got puffy from excess E2 and know what it feels like. The dietary response thing is different.

I take HCL and digestive enzymes before every meal. I feel like I lose weight more easily when I eat more carbs but still keep overall caloric intake in a reasonable amount. I eat whole foods, no processed crap, etc. I noticed this issue recently after making a big batch of almond butter. Two weeks of regularly eating almond butter (still keeping calories at or under maintenance) and I had softened up and gained weight. Doing well on higher carbs is new to me, as I’ve never experienced this before and the only change in my body is TRT.

Anyway, more info when I get labs.

Almond butter may not be good for you, perhaps for others. Try fish oil for EFA’s instead.

TRT increases E2 production, perhaps almonds affect your liver’s E2 clearance rate.